What could Surefire learn from EagleTac?

faucon

Enlightened
As much as I love my various Surefires, I now find myself reaching for my EagleTac T10C2 more and more. It made me wonder why Surefire can't design a light that would combine the best characteristics of, say, a U2 with a T10C2. That is, a light that's rugged, has easily adjustable output, can use a variety of cells, has a great throw/flood combination beam, and is close to 300 lumens at the high end?

Then I woke up and realized that Surefire could design and build such a light, but I'd never be able to afford what they'd want for it. Maybe EagleTacs in some ways are the new standard, at a price that amazes me for the quality.

Axion

Enlightened
How is EagleTac quality, better the Fenix, if so by how much?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They design lights required by their target consumers. We are not SF's target consumers. Oh and what you want is called UB2 invictus.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess eagletac can be considered surefire-like in it's class(chinese made lights) by the perception of being heftier or the simple ui's. i would definitely not put it in surefire class, well not yet at least. it's a new company and it's hard to gauge any dependibilty at this stage.
i know i have had some problems(fairly minor) with my eagletac that some others have also encountered so i think there is always the room for improvement.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't like where this thread is going

there is nothing wrong with surefire or eagletac, its purely based on user preference. this includes fenix too!

Please do not initiate another war on light quality again. They are all 5 star companies, leave it as that or this thread will get locked like many of its predecessors!

kts

Enlightened
. Oh and what you want is called UB2 invictus.

And where will you buy it?...
Its not even released yet, if it ever will be...

Im pretty sure it will be many times more expensive than the Eagletac.

And how can you recommend a light you dont even own?:thinking:

youreacrab

Enlightened
How is EagleTac quality, better the Fenix, if so by how much?

better is such a difficult word. here are the facts: eagletac has more heft than fenix. the contours make the body less slippery than fenix. stainless bezel eliminates chipping at a sensitive point. switch feels sturdier than fenix forward clickie (which feels almost like a clickie pen). and at least in comparison to the AA models, has a more efficient emitter(q5 v. q2). oh and the eagle has a clip too.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't know, I didn't notice anything on the EagleTacs that stood out really, except that they seemed fairly well made and better for "tactical" use than the O-Lights and Fenixes. Not sure Surefire would actually learn anything from EagleTac. I still consider my Surefire C2 LED to be the bees' knees of 2-cell tactical lights, although if I didn't have a load of Surefires I would probably consider an EagleTac or two.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
better is such a difficult word. here are the facts: eagletac has more heft than fenix. the contours make the body less slippery than fenix. stainless bezel eliminates chipping at a sensitive point. switch feels sturdier than fenix forward clickie (which feels almost like a clickie pen). and at least in comparison to the AA models, has a more efficient emitter(q5 v. q2). oh and the eagle has a clip too.

Where are the facts?
Fenix TK series lights are heavier than Eagletacs. Their stainless steel bezel crack lenses so its usefulness is questionable and both use Q5 emitters.
The advantage of eagletacs is higher luminous flux.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
And where will you buy it?...
Its not even released yet, if it ever will be...

Im pretty sure it will be many times more expensive than the Eagletac.

And how can you recommend a light you dont even own?:thinking:

If you read again I did not recommend it. I said it would fit his criterias.

EagleTac is the new standard for what? Chinese lights?

Is eagletac a chinese light?

Last edited:

faucon

Enlightened
I own many of the leading brands of lights, including Fenix, and there's something good about all of them. What I meant to say really is that I like the T10C2 a lot and if it's typical of EagleTac, I think you get a lot for your money. What I was getting at is also that I love Surefire lights (I own five of them), but they are beginning to seem, to me personally, not as good a value any more in terms of the output/quality/price ratio as some of the upcoming other makes. They're still great, but Surefire has it in them to build perhaps the best all-around light yet. We just haven't seen it yet IMHO, and I hope we do.

This thread is going nowhere fast...Faucon, just find a Fenix vs SureFire thread, and replace all instances of "Fenix" with "EagleTac". I've used a few EagleTacs, and they're great lights, very bright, but I think SureFire is doing just fine.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
This thread is going nowhere fast...Faucon, just find a Fenix vs SureFire thread, and replace all instances of "Fenix" with "EagleTac". I've used a few EagleTacs, and they're great lights, very bright, but I think SureFire is doing just fine.

I think the OP, being a member since 2006, should know that this thread might lead to brand wars, like the Fenix vs SF threads. And I must agree with elctromage, that Surefire is doing just fine on their own. They don't need to copy or learn from other companies. IMO, that what sets them apart from other companies. They don't follow fads, they develop their products on their own pace. As well know fads come and go but quality will last a long time.

How to make cheap looking flashlights?

Perhaps they could help Surefire uglify their lights!

I must agree with you sir, most Eagletac lights are ugly. But hey its just me.

faucon

Enlightened
Surefire's lights are arguably second to none in quality. I guess I'm frustrated because I see Surefire as capable of matching the output of the new EagleTacs and JetBeams, etc while keeping their groundbreaking high quality and aesthetics, and Surefire haven't done this yet. If we're just beating a dead horse here, however, it's certainly fine with me to drop the subject.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
To release a really cool, high output 2 cell light before Thanksgiving.....of this year. That would make me REALLY happy! :)

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I'm going to have to agree with Illum_the_nation 100% here.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, I could be totally way off. You have to understand the main market for SF lights are law enforcement, military etc etc. They would use the lights as tools, and such people do not think like the average flashaholic. SF doesn't see this as a lumen race.

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Ahh ignorance is bliss eh? All this talk about target market.
What makes you think that there aren't already some police departments are already adopting EagleTacs? ;)

Unless you're a dealer/distributor for EagleTacs, better not comment too much when you don't have the facts.
There are already some adopting EagleTacs due to their flat out higher output over SureFire LED's and much lower cost.

Not to mention people here straight away start about labelling them as Chinese made, what makes you think there aren't SureFire lights that are made in China as well? (P series)

Last edited: