Suggestions Please - Tactical / assault Lights

Crush

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am new here, and admittedly ignorant about lights. I have always had the desire to own a bright LED Surefire light. This weekend the problem started LOL

A friend and I were searching online trying to find a couple Surefire's to order. Well, we are a little OCD, and seem to want the "best" when we buy something. Then we ran across pics of the Surefire L6 Porcupine!!!!!!!

OK, now we each want one! But we didn't have luck locating any online.

So my Questions are:

1. Are locating L6 porcupine's impossible w/o paying $2k like someone has on ebay?

2. What other lights are even comparable to the look of the L6 Porcupine and are a good quality light?

3. What is the top "elite" brands when it comes to flashlights?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

Lookin4U

Newly Enlightened
Can't help with the "porcupine", but check out:
(listed in no particular order, just like my brain functions)

EagleTac
Fenix
Olight
Nitecore
Dereelight
Inova
Huntlight
JetBeam
Liteflux
Novatac
Regalight
ITP
Wolf-Eyes
Streamlight
Pelican

and several other brands I've probably forgotten about....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you mean LED? I haven't heard of a LCD light before.

1. I don't think so. They were special products made for special things. You can buy similar bodies(search pineapple) and you can find similar bezels.

2. Depends on your opinion. What is good quality to you?

3. Depends on what you mean by "Elite"? Most output? Most durable? Most usable? Depends on what you want. How do you define "best"?

Looking4U has a pretty good list of good quality lights.

:welcome:

Crush

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean LED? I haven't heard of a LCD light before.

1. I don't think so. They were special products made for special things. You can buy similar bodies(search pineapple) and you can find similar bezels.

2. Depends on your opinion. What is good quality to you?

3. Depends on what you mean by "Elite"? Most output? Most durable? Most usable? Depends on what you want. How do you define "best"?

Looking4U has a pretty good list of good quality lights.

:welcome:

Lookin4u: Thanks for the list of brands, I will start searching :)

Gunner12: Yes I did mean LED, not LCD ;)

1. I will search for those. thanks

2. good quality to me= durable, long-life, sturdy built, etc.

3. by "elite" I mean, Ferrari's and Lambo's in cars, Patek Philippe's and Vacheron's in watches, Wilson Combat in 1911's, Vertu in cell phones, I guess I am asking what is thought of as the Top few brands in flashlights? I realize answers will be opinionated.

I am totally new to this world of flashlights and am trying to get a feel for them. I got serious about collecting wristwatches about 5 yrs ago, when I began researching I thought that Rolex was THE elite brand in the world, the more I read, I realized that Rolex is basically the Chevrolet of watches, very good watches, but average in the horological world. So I guess I am trying to relate where Surefire falls into the scheme of things, are they just middle of the road or are they higher-end?

Thanks,
John

A96Honda

Newly Enlightened
If you want a robust light, get the M95X/M96X series. If you want something a little lighter, there's always the Scout variety. I would have gotten a Scout, if there was a quick disconect offset mount. Couldnt find 1 anywhere. My M96X was too heavy. Sold it and went a different route.

Instead, I got a SF 6PL. Put in a dropin for it. Got a rear clickie. And a QD offset mount. Works great for it's purpose. And if I wanted to, I can remove the mount and use it as a handheld.

BM6PL.jpg

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crush :welcome:

I'm guessing you aren't looking for a light to actual use kicking in doors based on your stated needs for an elite brand, good quality, and a look like the Porcupine. The good news is the there are a lot of lights that fit the first two specs. The bad news is that's a lot of lights to narrow down. Lookin4U gave you a list of some high quality manufacturers.

To start I would recommend:
- Check out the Welcome Mat so you can learn a little more about the basics and jargon we all throw around.
- Check out some of the manufacturers lookin listed to see if there's anything interesting.
- Check out the reviews section, and do searches for lights that seem interesting.
- Bring likely candidates back here after that to answer questions about the bits that don't make sense in all the info you gathered.

If I'm wrong about you not planning to use it in an actual tactical role, more details about how you plan to use it will probably get more response out of the many LEO and military on the forum.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are brand fixed, not "quality" fixed.
Ferrari, Lambo - for cars - are showpieces, in no way better than comparable Porsche f.e. (which is better in every respect but not in the role as a Showcar, to certain ppl)
for watches, I would even name Rolex overexpensive and not offering a price-to-value ratio, but they are good (not the same "I own more than You"-offering like Ferrari/Lambo)

So it is difficult.
What You search for, is something that gets attraction and is uselessly expensive, therefore getting "elite" but also quick to recognize and known by the public. Problem here is, that pretty noone will notice what You payed for a flashlight. :rolleyes:

Even most Surefire's are priced too cheap for You to like them in the end
(because everyone who wants good lights will have one - as like You)
What You could try to get are: SFs TITAN or the BEAST

If You want reliable lights that are ruggedly made and easily survive more, than the person holding it, will:
LED: 2 AA battery: Fenix LD20
LED: 1 18650: one of the Jetbeam Jet III models
more rugged feeling (but offering less "intelligence"): Inova models, CR123 batt based
... sure these lights are even more difficult than the Rolex, because here anyone just a tiny bit into lights will have them, or comparable ones.

PS: isnt the porcupine "just" something like a 6P led with another body?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
3. by "elite" I mean, Ferrari's and Lambo's in cars, Patek Philippe's and Vacheron's in watches, Wilson Combat in 1911's, Vertu in cell phones, I guess I am asking what is thought of as the Top few brands in flashlights? I realize answers will be opinionated.

Surely you must be talking about any one of Henry's lights if you want to be "quality" fixed...:naughty:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
It will greatly help us to help you if we know exactly what application you are going to use this light(s). Regular patrol, SWAT, or military? Once we know what it will be primarily used for we can better help narrow down an extremely wide field.