Why no light stipple and medium stipple reflectors for LED lights?

king2penn

Enlightened
Why does no one offer light stipple and medium stipple reflectors in LED lights?
Are the outputs still too low (compared to incans) to offer a reasonable amount of light using those reflectors?:thinking:

Regards,
Steven

Yapo

Enlightened
If by stipple you mean orange peel, there are plenty of lights with a variety of them...some smoother or lighter than others

king2penn

Enlightened
Haha i did'nt know orange peel is a form of 'stipple' as well, but in this case im not refering to it.
Im refering to this form of 'stippling' --> http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

Look under 'Support & Documentation' and under 'reflector selector'.
I think the terms 'light stipple' and 'medium stipple' are not widely used :thinking:

king2penn

Enlightened
Increasing Intensity of 'Stippling' - Smooth Reflector, Orange Peel, Light Stipple, Medium Stipple ???

Yapo

Enlightened
I think textured and stippled reflectors are the same thing. Just a different way of calling it. Like even for orange peel you have light(LOP) and medium(MOP) reflectors. Its just called orange peel because it looks like the texture of an orange.

While there are a few companies that offer smooth reflectors for max throw and textured ones for a smoother beam, I wouldnt mind having a more textured reflector choice to have a more floody light although some companies like surefire offer a diffused lens to put on their lights if you want flood.

Also i think using a heavier textured/stippled reflector to give a more floody beam is the easy way out but not the best as i believe the reflector becomes less efficient(correct me if i'm wrong). The shape/design of the reflector can affect the beam pattern. eg. HDS EDC lights with luxeon leds + smooth reflectors were known to have perfectly smooth beams.

And another thing is the degree of a textured reflector would affect the beam pattern more on lights with larger reflectors. Since its only lights designed for throw that use large reflectors, what would be the point in putting a heavily textured/stippled reflector in it for flood when you can get the same thing with a smaller reflector in a smaller light?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Stippling is something I tend to see referred to more as a custom job on an plastic reflector. Factory jobs on aluminum reflectors have some form of orange peel, which does the same job more efficiently.

TexLite

Enlightened
Stippled is not the same as OP.Both however,are factory finishes.

"Sputtered" is the "garage" process of applying clearcoat to a plastic reflector.

-Michael