Ideas for Alaska; places to visit on vacation?

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened
I am flying into Anchorage on May 23 for a weeklong vacation. I am renting a car and want to do hiking and other outdoor activities.
I am planning on seeing Kenai fjords Nat'l park and then north to Denali Nat'l park.
Any ideas would be helpful....as I am from Oklahoma and this is my first trip to this great place!
Thanks All...Mark

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ideas for Alaska; Sigman!!!!!

You may want to PM Sigman... He's an Alaskan and would probably have some ideas...

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Whale Fat Follies is a must see. If you're on the prowl and need to scratch an itch, Koots is the place to go. I've heard there is another meat market now but I can't remember the name. If you're shopping for souvenirs there's the Dimond Mall, Sears Mall and 5th Avenue Mall. Or just park your rental and walk around downtown. Don't stop on Spenard at night. There's an undercover vice cop that has a body just too good to be true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If there's a Carr's grociery still in business please go and get some chinese from there. I've had better but for some reason I still crave it.

Oh! you're hiking? Flat-Top mountain is the place to go then. Well, you can hike just about anywhere in Alaska and see God's creations that just melts your heart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope you're taking the train to Denali.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

P.S. If you run into Mary Bergeron, an aerobics instructor at the Alaska Club, tell her I'm looking for her now that I'm divorced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Or Nineveh, or Bicky, or Lisa...

(Go to the Barns'n'Noble between Benson and Northern Lights. They have books on places to hike in Alaska. So does REI.)

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast

David, what took you from Alaska to Florida?!?! I would have stayed in Alaska if I could!

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened
Re: Ideas for Alaska; Places to visit?

Thanks David, This Anchorage sounds like an intresting place for sure!
Such a BIG state ....so little time, such is life.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Man you're just not going to be here long enough to see it all! I'm still brain storming your compact schedule! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Wolfram,

I have to agree with David. The Fly by Night Club's Whale Fat Follies (in Anchorage) will keep you in stitches (and Spam) for hours. It is well worth going to.

Hook up with Sigman and have a good time. Alaska is too big to see in one trip, so pick out the things that interest you and have at it. One thing to remember is that in the summer time there is a lot of light and not much need of flashlights.

David, do you remember the Bush Company? It is still going strong. I think Carrs has been bought by Safeway, but they still have Chinese food that is pretty good.

Tom

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone....isn't this silly that I'll have no real use for
my flashlight cache? You can bet that I'll at least have my
Kl-1 and arc-aaa w/me anyway! ....

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I just spent about an hour typing a "note" to Wolfram about his trip...darned "speedy and uncoordinated fingers" on the right hand...hit some strange combo of keys and I lost it all! Anyone know if AOL has some sort of recover/backup email in progress utility? I'm controlling my language bigtime...have to go get some liquid to calm me down!

Wolfram

Newly Enlightened

Great Sigman,
Thanks for taking the time to give me some good and useful
information! I will revisit Alaska.com to help build more anticipation.
Reading you e-mail I want you to know you "hit the nail on
the head" with precision.
Thankyou for your time. Mark

P.S. ...now to load up on bug spray...bear bells....and panning dish er...
aint ther' GOLD in them hills?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

That reminds me...

[ QUOTE ]

U.S. Department of Forestry Memo

In light of the recent number of deaths related to people's unexpected encounters with Grizzly Bears, the U.S Department of Forestry is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

Grizzly bears typically avoid contact with humans. Most deadly encounters happen as the result of grizzly bears being suprised by the sudden appearance of humans. Therefore, we are advising people to wear small bells on their clothing or backpack so as to alert the bears of their approach there by reducing the likelyhood of a suprise encounter.

We are also recommending people carry pepper spray with them as a deterrant in case of an encounter with a bear. The minimum recommended size is 16 oz. and we recommend wearing the spray on the belt where it is easily accessible.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity this will alert the individual as to when a bear may be nearby. Some signs of bear activity include overturned logs and rocks, as well as small trees that have been pushed over thereby exposing the root ball. Other signs include scratches on the trunks of trees and small amounts of hair left by bears rubbing against the bark. Bears are omniverous and forage for a wide variety of food including but not limited to small rodents, berries, insects, and fish.

People need to be especially alert when traveling near rivers, streams, or other sources of water particularly during the annual salmon migration.

It is also advised that people know the differance between grizzly bear and black bear tracks. Photos will be available at the trail head or the nearest Ranger Station Aside from being aware of the differances in the tracks people who are using the park should also be able to recognize the difference between Black Bear manure and Grizzly Bear manure. Black bear manure is smaller, usually dark brown in color, and contains lots of berry seeds, small animal bones, and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear manure, though similar in color, will be larger in size, and will contain small bells and smell like pepper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

David, loved that one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif