Strange issue with my LEDs...

mapoub

Newly Enlightened
Hi !

I've just received my new Fenix LD01 from Fenix-store, but I noticed a problem with the output : there is a black point centered in the bright spot, not really noticeable but still annoying... In looking further, I noticed that at short distances, the point became a black spot, looking like a clover. Here is a (very bad) picture :

(It's very neat IRL.) I of course checked the glass, it is perfectly clean.

Then, I had the idea to check if my other flashlights had the same problem. I checked my Liteflux LFXT5 : no problem. I checked my Nitecore D10, and... I noticed exactly the same clover at very short distances ! But at long distances, it totally disappears.

I read a few reviews, and I never heard about this "problem". Is it normal ? If yes, is it normal if I can still see a black point with my LD01 at long distances ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
It is typical of most lights at close range, and the spot typically disappears within a matter of inches.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It is normal if it only shows up at short distances. If it is visible at longer distances, then your light has the reflector out of focus(if this is the case, return the light for a replacement).

:welcome:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normal because there is no reflector in the center since the LED is there. Nothing in the center to collect the light and send it out of the head.

The clover pattern is due to the square die in the round reflector.

It is best to use the light at normal distances and not worry over close-up beam patterns.

mapoub

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for those detailed explanations ! :)

I asked Fenix-store for a replacement.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
mapoub said:
Thank you all for those detailed explanations !

I asked Fenix-store for a replacement.

Umm..... your replacement will do the exact same thing.

:crackup:
I have to admit, that made me laugh. I'd agree that it is most likely that the replacement will do the same thing. I just tried my L0D Q4 and it has the same "issue."

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If his light still had a hole past half a meter, then he should get a replacement. If it doesn't keep the light.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I bought an L0D and it had a dark spot in the center of the hot spot. No, it wasn't only at close range. I know better than that. Mine was there at all distances. It drove me nuts, so I returned it. Part of the reason is that the reflector is so tiny that if the LED is out of place even a little, the focus is terrible. Fenix should really test these before they leave the factory. And if they ARE tested and this is passed, then shame on Fenix.

mapoub

Newly Enlightened
My light does have a dark spot even at many meters of distance. It doesnt disappears within a matter of inches as Marduk says.

streetmaster

Enlightened
My light does have a dark spot even at many meters of distance. It doesnt disappears within a matter of inches as Marduk says.
That's really sad that the new versions have this issue. Mine was an L0D Q4 with the dark hole in the hotspot. I was hoping the new ones would not have this flaw. Well, I guess I'm not buying one. It seems to be "hit or miss" whether you get a good one or not. I don't have the patience to play the LED lottery anymore.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's really sad that the new versions have this issue. Mine was an L0D Q4 with the dark hole in the hotspot. I was hoping the new ones would not have this flaw. Well, I guess I'm not buying one. It seems to be "hit or miss" whether you get a good one or not. I don't have the patience to play the LED lottery anymore.
The hotspot issue does seem to be rare. This is the first time I remember hearing it from Fenix. Much more hit then miss.