Nirvana = Elektrolumens + P7 + 18650

jerry i h

Enlightened
EDC-P7 is hands-down the best torch I have ever held in my hand.
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

You really should have one (sadly, EL has a post saying that he is not accepting new orders until 2009; no, mine is not for sale for any price). I used an AW 18650 charged with a DSD,

The size is amazing: the pictures on his website are rather misleading. The torch is the same size as a 2D flashlight w/o the head, and is slightly thinner in the middle where you hold it. Certainly small enough for a large-ish coat pocket or a backpack.

The light pattern is perfect. It does throw many 100's of feet, clear into the next residential block and then some. It is a brilliantly designed mix of aureole and hot spot: for close up tasks, but it still throws like a Napoleonic cannon. This carefully thought out pattern is why EL has become legendary.

The fit and finish is astonishing. The item I got has craftsmanship and quality of the highest professional caliber. I should also say that this puppy is a bargain. EL charges more or less the same price for a P7 m*g mod; the EDC-P7 is an entire custom lathe job. Expect EL to re-offer the EDC-P7, but at a higher price, but still worth every $0.01.

Runtime? Truth or dare, this is my first Li-ion torch. Like the WOF, the Achilles Heal is heat management. After 10 minutes, the body became uncomfortably hot (keep in mind that I am in foodservice, and have been know to take pans out of the oven onto the stovetop with bare hands). After 20 minutes, the body temp was so high, that I turned it off for a few minutes because I feared for the Li-ion's safety. I let it could cool down, because of the high temps to the batts (sadly, I forget to take home the IR thermometer from work, so not sure of temp). Total run time was 45 minutes when I noticed a significant decrease in brightness, at which time I stopped the test.

Edit: for the above temps, I left it on a table top w/o touching it, to accumulate max heat. I re-did the test, but this time holding it in my hand the whole time. From 5 to 20 minutes, there was so much heat that I had to switch hands, but it never became so hot that I had to give up turn off the torch. Keep in mind, though, that I have asbestos hands. You may have to switch hands more often or turn it off, if the heat gets too high. After 25 minutes, the heat generated was not a problem.

Last edited:

Kraid

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! Can't wait to get mine! So, its not comparable to a 6P in size at all?

oregon

Enlightened
Thank you kindly jerry for the enthusiastic review of the EDC P7.

A photo of the new light in your hand would be great for sizing purposes... Pretty please.

oregon

jerry i h

Enlightened
Well, I would love to accomdate y'all, but ah ain't got no digital camera :)laughing: yeah, and neither do I have cell phone :banghead: ). Fortunately, Wayne does have some beamshots on his website www.elektrolumens.com .

As for size, all I can do is whip out the wooden ruler. It is 5" long. The head is 1 1/2" long and wide. The Barrel is 2 3/4" long and 1 inch wide. The tailcap is 1 1/4" long and wide. When I grip it with my small-ish hands, only 3 fingers fit on the barrel, and the pinkie wraps around the tailcap.

I should also note that this thing is built like a German main battle tank from WW2: thick metal all around, and impossible to hurt. With the batt, it weighs in at 7 1/2 oz (talk about substantial)!!!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC P7 size.
L to R: Shining beam L mini, Dereelight CL1H v4, MTE P7, Elektrolumens EDC P7, common 2AA flashlight, Fenix L1T v2, L0D CE. My M@g 3C P7 is sitting behind sideways. Note the EDC P7 is tailstanding.
EDCP7size.jpg

EDC P7 fits in Nite-Ize Mini Poc-kets.
EDCP7holsterNiteIze.jpg

EDC P7 fits in DX's big holster.
EDCP7holsterDX.jpg

Beamshots
EDC P7.
EDCP7.jpg

EDC P7 left, M@g P7 right
EDCP7_MgP7.jpg

EDC P7 left, MTE P7 right
EDCP7_MTEP7.jpg

EDC P7 left, Ultrafire Q5 14500 right
EDCP7_Q5.jpg

EDC P7 left, Dereelight Q2 5A right
EDCP7_Q25A.jpg

Penguin, I do not have an L4. Cannot comment.

I can confirm the EDC P7 gets hot real fast.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the time it took to take the beamshots the light was very warm. It takes my MTE P7 over 5 minutes to get to the same level of warmth.

I have not run the light on long enough for it to be really hot. Probably I won't either. I have a M@g P7 with a much bigger body, will probably use that for extended runs.

jerry i h

Enlightened
Like "Damn, I wish I had an oven mitt" hot or "These callouses from being a woodcutter sure help with this hot light" hot or "My handcream isn't stopping the heat from burning my hands" hot??...
I would say all of the above. It was amazing how fast and how hot the entire torch became after only 5 minutes: even the tailcap got too hot to handle. Course, this is a good sign, proving that Wayne's design efficiently conducts away from the LED for maximum performance, but really hurts your hand.
I would strongly encourage users and potential buyers to consider turning it off for a few minutes to manage the heat build up. Course, this makes it less suitable for LEO's, search/rescue, etc.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MTE is clearly dimmer than the EDC-P7, more than the pictures indicate.

The MTE 5 mode is probably a more practical light. I usually run it in medium and go to high only when I absolutely need it or for doing comparison beamshots.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened
Last night I ran my EDC-P7 last night for some extended periods. For me, indoors, 15 minutes was about it until the heat became uncomfortable. With only 1 level, this is not a long-use light. I didn't really expect it to be. The physics of running a P7, unregulated, in a small light are what they are. No getting around it. I did, however, go for a walk outside with it for about 30 minutes without burning my hands. Of course, it was in the low 20's outside. Turned out to be a nice hand warmer.

bigmikey

Newly Enlightened
I have a elektrolumens FT-3C that I just sold, and will be shipping it off tomorrow. On the website elektrolumens claimed it had 72 lumens. I had a seoul led installed, but it didnt appear any brighter, just whiter beam.

Anyway, my question is with this elektrolumens P7 having a claim of 700 lumens. does that mean that it would completely blow my ft-3c away, as far as throw, bigger hot spot, etc?.

Thats a big difference in lumen numbers between the 2.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, cus I desperately need a replacement.

Thanks........

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
FT-3C, 3 'C' Cell Luxeon Star LED Torch. 3W Luxeon Star LED; 72 Lumens

The P7 at 2.8A is measured at 741 lumens by jtr1962.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2668288&postcount=229

So about 10X more light but in 10 minute bursts, ~45 minutes total runtime per battery charge. Note you need 18650 batteries and charger.

The short runtime before the light gets too hot worries me in case I need say a 1/2 hour continuous run. So I think a M@g P7 is better for general use. Or a quality light that lets you run at 1/2 power like the Dereelight DBS V2 w/ 3SM Cree MC-E-M (OP). Wolf eyes & Lumapower also make SSC-P7 lights. (I would stay away from DX. The number of dead P7 lights are rising exponentially)

Another good option for outdoor use is a neutral warm white tint (usually Cree XRE Q2/5A or Q3/5A). Still 2X as bright as the FT-3C but without the excessive blue of typical LEDs giving much better colour rendition.

EDC-P7 left, Ultrafire C3 Q5 with a 3.7V 14500 battery right. This should give some idea of the difference between an EDC-P7 and FT-3C with a P4 upgrade.
EDCP7_Q5.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts