Introducing The PHOTON BATON -- w/Zebras

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
So I finally received the Club Light in my hot little hands and immediately set about installing a 5W HD into it. Most of the body of this light is actually fabricated from scratch out of aluminum bar stock, then mated with the cut-down switch section from a Mag 2C tube and a beautifully modified Mag 2C head. Here it is with a couple of Zebra Space Needle IIs I just built:

fc398202.jpg

To actually experience it in person, to handle it, to feel the weighty heft when loaded with six alkaline AAs, you quickly realize this thing is simply in another class, a work of art, combining fluid form with optimal function. The sculpted cutout around the head allows the little finger and bottom edge of the palm to slip in for a perfect fit, creating a feeling of permanent retention in the hand when - er - swinging it. The glassbead finish job sparkles like silver metallic paint. And the original pewter Maglite finish on the switch barrel looks positively mirror-black in contrast.

There was another thread in which I originally asked people to name this light, and although there were a considerable number of Very Good suggestions, the one that ultimately grabbed me by the collar was when Tree commented HERE ,"Careful, you may be charged with AAsault with AA Batteries", and I was instantly inspired to shorten it to simply, "Assault and Batteries". Something like Photon Baton would probably be the real name if more of these are produced for sale, but for now the humorous and rather clever twist of "Assault and Batteries" gets my vote. A&B for short. Feels like I'm at work...

The heatsink specifically machined for this light features a raised post for optimal focusing, and in the very center of the pedestal is a slightly hollowed depression into which a Luxeon's metal slug base literally snaps into place for dead-on centering:

fc398200.jpg

And look how thick the sink is. Lots of aluminum and lots of rounded surface area to snuggle up intimately against the inside circumference of the light itself for maximum thermal transfer.

The endcap is a study in elegant design, machining complexity, and exquisite workmanship:

fc398204.jpg

And as you screw it into the body, it closes down to a nearly invisible seam:

fc398207.jpg

fc39820a.jpg

We thought long and hard about the myriad of different shapes and forms the endcap's exterior could take, but finally settled on a simple radius to retain the continuity of the sleek baton's lines:

fc398209.jpg

I didn't want it catching on anything when drawing it from the metal ring holder on my duty belt anyway. Plus the simple rounded shape should hold up better if I miss and the cap tip strikes something hard.

And finally, what story would be complete without the obligatory beamshot, shown here in LLS format flanked by the two Zebras:

fc39820e.jpg

A quick blast into the LM631 light meter produced a reading of 5,850 lux with slightly used alkaline AAs.

A dual-offense weapon, initially stunning the suspect visually, and then pummeling him into submission if necessary, Assault and Batteries will certainly have a chance to live up to its name in the coming weeks...

B@rt

Flashaholic
Very nice Charlie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My guess is some LEO's will envy you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

fc3db0e5.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Nice light you got there. By the way, thanks for the springs you sent me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Were the threads on the switch assembly re-cut at all, or is the head cut with threads that match the mags existing threads?
I've got to get a lathe. I've got two lights in my head that need a lathe in order to become reality. Every time I see a project like this, the more I want one.
Again, very nice light and I hope you only have to use the lighted end of it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Very beautiful light--if you actually have to use it on any thugs I hope they appreciate what a work of art they're getting clobbered with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
B@rt,

As in punitive envy or..."penile" envy? >=)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your call... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
How does the Assault & Batteries compare with a Space Needle II as far as light output goes?
I like that the A&B uses ordinary AA cells instead of $42.00 worth of CR123s when it needs to be fed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(I don't pay THAT much unless I need 123s and have to get them locally!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

was it not possible to transplant the mag switch only instead of the entire switching area?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the way your presentations are detailed yet beg questions. I will wait patiently until you decide to say who the other part of "we" is. No way you would describe your singularly own creations with such reverence, though you would not be faulted if you did.

Several months ago I asked about a 6AA wand configuration. As I recall, you responded that not only had you thought this through but it was a viable solution and further you expressed some thoughts on how to achieve it. I had invisioned something with a C3 style head with a little less *bulk* in the barrel. Now you come out with this magnificent piece of work. Wow!

Other thoughts: HA III flat black would be a premium way to go but let me state the obvious opposite. As it stands the Assault and Batteries is beautiful. Raw Al against a metal ring duty holster would not squeak? Also, it would seem that this baton/kubatan on steroids could attain more speed and deliver more rapid blows than a 6D. In this case, less is more. A responsible citizen taking a walk in the woods or around the block with Rover would be empowered with formidable defenses allowing them to relax and better enjoy their jaunt.

All that solid state lux focusable to virtually (flashlightlens.com) 6 grand lux? Oh yeah. This is a Super Star!

Charlie, I don't want this light. I don't need this light. I simply and absolutely must have this light. Cubans, ahem; I mean Dominicans, 30 year single malt Scotch, Starbucks for a year, your own Crispy Creme franchise... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif (glad that wasn't an Assualt and Batteries) ...name your price. I'll pre-pay.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow, I go away for a day (went airgun bird-shooting at a friend's dairy farm to rid him of those Salmonella-carrying winged vermin) and come back to nearly three hundred views? An nearly as many e-mails from lurkers?

First of all, I cannot say we will be making and selling these any time soon, just too much work, it's like completely making your OWN light (and then I'd be banished to "Manufacturer's Section" forever...). So although we appreciate the offers, please refrain from asking to buy these as there aren't any (for sale).

woodbender - only the threads below the switch, where the tube was shortened, to mate up with the new, skinnier battery tube.

Craig - about the same output, it would depend on the Luxeon and I believe you have a better one in yours than I do in this Photon Baton.

Rothrandir - yes, but the switch is already of a certain size and the diameter of any aluminum encasement would still have to be about the same. Plus you'd have to mill that cutout hole through the side for the switch button to stick through, and the original opening is already quite nicely done and ergonomic.

Icebreak - First I gotta say that I am deeply appreciative of your positive comments and sentiment towards this Photon Baton idea. Although I thought of the initial setup including use of the Mag 2C switch, the actual work and details as far as fit and spacing and machining was performed by a partner. He has elected not to disclose his name at this time because he really does not want to do more of these as it took him more than two weeks to create the prototypes.

I will admit however, that eventual production and sale of something like this has always been on my mind, and getting enough people with firm orders in hand would go a long way towards me contracting a CNC shop to have them produced more efficiently, thus avoiding the inevitably high-dollar price tag a manually machined example is sure to cost.

Thanks!

arioch

Enlightened
kind of off topic ...

MrBulk:

As a fellow HI resident, I am curious about the legality of your light here (especially considering the name) for anyone but LEO's. If I recall correctly, a couple of weeks ago, you made an issue of one of our HI members who had a 'hypothetical' ASP baton; you correctly pointed out that it was considered under the class of dangerous/deadly weapon (including billy clubs) here. I actually was wondering at that time about the legality of the baton if it were connected to the triad light ... is it a light? is it a weapon? I had spoken with a couple of LEO friends of mine who were impressed with it; they both said that it was technically illegal, but they wouldn't bother with it unless it was found as an 'add on' item (if they found it on a perp or suspect, or if someone were blatantly brandishing it in their presence while they were on duty).

The Maglite has been under attack for some time now, due to its potential for use as a heavy/blunt instrument by LEO's and civilians alke. Some years ago, a fellow security officer I knew used his 4D Maglite to crack open the skull of an assailant (determined to be self defense, as he was being simultaneously attacked by 4 very large and intoxicated construction workers). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Your light definitely looks very well made, and more solid than a Maglite, which the PD here are no longer allowed to carry (they now carry SL Stinger XT's). The local PD here have also recently started carrying expandable batons.

Hence my question:
Granted the ASP triad lite/baton is a working light, but due to its disconnectability with the baton, might it be a weapon with the baton attached? With your light, since the length of your light is being used to contain the batteries, might it be considered a weapon due to its length and wall thickness?

Questions aside, I know you enjoy your life calling as an esteemed member of the HPD, but might your clear talent at high end light production someday get you to go the route of Elektrolumens in making this more of a full time endeavor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some incredible things created by humans. I do not have to own those creations to walk away from them feeling like I gained something. So, thanks for showing this rendering.

Fantastic.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Arioch,

If your LEO friends are local (meaning of the Maui PD), then we all predicate our enforcement actions on the same laws, the Hawaii Penal Code. In it, although there are a few specifically banned "dangerous weapons" (switchblade, dirk, dagger, sap, billy club, electric stun gun, etc.) there is no restriction against carrying a long stick, metal or otherwise, even one arguably made only to inflict impact upon others. As well, the Code further states that Any object, based upon the manner in which it is employed, can be considered a dangerous weapon.

So to put things in perspective, in this section it would appear the Code strives to use language that would grant authorities some discretion to err on the side of public safety, without unreasonable restriction of personal freedoms.

If I came across someone carrying the Photon Baton (of course he would have wisely already written the name, "Fluffy Rabbit Flashlight" all over it with a Sharpie) and he was just shining it around or carrying it in a holder on his belt, hey, cool. But if she was holding a No. 2 pencil in her fist with the eraser under her thumb and the point protruding from the bottom of her hand, using it like a knife and stabbing someone's eye (true catfight story over a common boyfriend), it's arrest time for Assault 2nd, a full felony.

Everything is relative. The Fluffy Rabbit would of course be sold as simply a flashlight, one made for those who did not want to spring for the more expensive CR123 lithiums. And of course Assault & Batteries, Photon Baton, and other club-related names that are being bandied about here would never be imprinted on the light, and might instead go the way of word-of-mouth advertising.

But making and selling a light from scratch would put one in the mfr's. category anyway, accompanied by restrictions from doing things that make this hobby so much fun for me right now, such as announcing things for sale at B/S/T (especially mods), which a mfr. cannot do. So this may remain as the only Assault & Batteries in existence. At least until someone makes one for their own (illumination-only) use...

paulr

Flashaholic
"Fluffy Bunny", hey I like that. I remember noticing a while back that Benchmade had some retroactive wisdom and decided that the "AFCK" in its line of SEAL-designed tactical-looking liner locks actually stood for "Advanced Folding Camp Knife". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woodbender

Newly Enlightened
Mr. Bulk...Do you have any further information on the threads(head end) on the mag 2c? I may have access to a lathe and would like to cut a custom head for one, if the thread is easily duplicated.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm woodbender,

No idea what the threads are. Perhaps you could measure one in your area or something. I know nothing about machining aside from the very rough work I do with my drill press and Dremel...

paulr, so what did AFCK really stand for anyway?

arioch

Enlightened
off topic ...

MrBulk:

Thanx for some of the clarifications (yes, my LEO friends are with the MPD). My LEO friends did echo most of your sentiments concerning legality of certain items like long metallic lights, batons, etc. As I stated, for the most part, they will not bother with them unless they are found during a search of a perp/suspect, or someone were brandishing it. Some of the concerns I had was that at times the discretions are used very differently by different LEO's.

One example was a friend of mine about 8 years ago. He used to keep a baseball and bat in the back seat of his car, as he occasionally would play with friends when he had free time. Once, he was pulled over for speeding. The MPD officer who pulled him over made comments to my friend several times before giving him his ticket about why he was carrying a bat in his car. Apparently the given explanation did not satisfy the officer, and my friend was told that the bat was considered a weapon, and if he was seen with it again (presumably by that officer), my friend would get in trouble.

I realize that such a charge probably would not hold up in court, but it can be very intimidating being told something like that by a uniformed LEO.

Similar grey area situations had sprung up during discussions over ownership of things like handcuffs, pepper spray (legal on Maui, but at a 5% max potency), slim jims, locksmith tools, radar detectors, etc.

Most of the LEO's I have met as a private security officer over the last 12 years have been very professional, and this kind of situation would probably not come up, but I have also met my share of shall we say less than cordial LEO's, and my friend's incident always sticks in the back of my mind.

BTW, the initial proposed name of the light, Assault and Batteries, was likely a joke, but if anyone were to ever get hit with one, the ambulance chaser representing the victim (criminal or otherwise) would likely have a field day. That was my only reason for bringing it up. I thought the same thing about ColdSteel's AA light when I saw it on a thread here a couple of months ago.

As far as your not taking on light manufacture on a full time basis, I fully respect your reasons for maintaining it as a hobby. Had you possibly considered teaming up with Lambda or Elektrolumens with your designs for some type of collaborative effort? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, thanx for your help on a separate thread about the 123 battery holder for the 2C Maglite ... got some plastic tubing, a 2C Mag, and a 5 cell bulb from Ace Hardware. Like the cheap upgrade! Nice bright white beam with a sheet of Writeright on the lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif