D2Flex or Triflupic for a DD DSXXI bin P7

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I am wondering which is the best driver of the 2 for a DD P7 led that I plan to order form Photonfanatic when he recieves them.

He posted that he might get DSXXI or DSXXH (<--WOW!) in either WO, XO or VO tint.

I don't think heat will be an issue because it will be mounted on the new brightlumens big "C" size heatsink and will be put in a finned head, with AS to transfer the heat.

It will be powered by 2 AW Li-ions "C" wired in parallel for 6,600 mah capacity.

What are your toughts on these 2 drivers and which one will be best for my application.

Thanks!
AlexGT

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Basically your choice would be on which UI you prefer. I personally like the D2Flex UI better over the Flupic v2.2 UI. The Flupic v2.2 UI gives you more modes, adjustable strobe, etc.

With the TriFlupic I would heatsink it. The Flupics use LDO regulators which have built in thermal protection. When used on levels 1-10 it is limited by these regulators. I've had Flupics have the thermal protection kick in when they get too hot but have never had it happen with any TriFlupic builds I've done yet. On burst they run direct drive so you wouldn't have to worry about the thermal protection. I don't think you'll need to heatsink the D2Flex but I haven't used any of mine yet. With the D2DIMs I never had a heat issue with them.

Wiring would be different. With the TriFlupic you'll have to wire the three outputs in parallel. Since you mentioned the "C" heatsink I'm assuming you'll be using a MagC. The MagC switch doesn't "latch" as well as the MagD switch. In my experiences the MagC switch often has a momentary loss of connection just before it latches when turned on. This can cause the TriFlupic to change to the next mode unwantingly & can be a nuiscense. It doesn't always happen but I find some are worse than others. I've never had this issue with the MagD switch. Perhaps the MagC switch can be tweaked to fix this issue.

The D2Flex will require that you mod the switch so it works as momentary only. A bit more work to complete the mod but it's not hard. Again, I'm assuming you'll be using a MagC but if you were going to build a light with a twisty tailcap instead of a switch the D2Flex would not work for this application.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be using a FM11 as a host, it has the throwmaster bezel :devil:

I think FM took care of the switch, I am leaning towards the Tri-Flupic since I already have a flupic aspheric mag and know how it works. Do you have a pic of a triflupic?

fm11001ck8.jpg

Last edited: