• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Not FS: My New 'Pocket Mini' Lasers! - Blu-Ray or Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrob

Enlightened
No longer selling these... Please read this:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1231511226/0

Looking for a nice mini laser? This is a great little host with a tail button clicky switch.

(Host size - 3/4" X 3") The 'Pocket Mini' is a really nice build!
cool.gif
It runs off of a single 3.0 volt Lithium primary, or a 3.6 volt Lithium rechargeable battery. Check out the size!

Pocket%20mini%201.jpg

Pocket%20mini%202.jpg

Using quality parts...

* FlexDrive driver
* Custom heatsink
* AixiZ acrylic module
* 803T blu-ray or 'long' open can red diode.

It's nice to have the option to use primaries, or rechargeable batteries!
wink.gif

Heatsink: The thickness of the heatsink is not bad for such a small host...

Pocket%20mini%203.jpg

Although this host is shorter than a AA host, it is just a little 'thicker' (larger in diameter), to suit the CR123 battery. So the heatsink is pretty nice for the 'Pocket Mini'!

Pocket%20mini%207.jpg

Pocket%20mini%2012.jpg

Pocket%20mini%204.jpg

The build is very solid! As seen in the pictures, the heatsink, driver, and module/diode, are all installed inside the head of the host. They are screwed into place, holding these parts solidly fixed, inside the head, adding to the heasinking properties of this design!
wink.gif

Pocket%20mini%206.jpg

Pocket%20mini%205.jpg

Really a nice finish! Very 'weighty' in your hand for the size of it. I really like this little 'Pocket Mini', it has become my current favorite!
cheesy.gif

I think that there is plenty of heatsinking for 115mW's of blu-ray... Or, 225mW's of red!

(Beam shots - with some smoke)
Pocket%20mini%2010.jpg

Pocket%20mini%2011.jpg

Holster! I found a really nice accessory for the Pocket Mini!
cool.gif

Pocket%20mini%2016.jpg

Pocket%20mini%2017.jpg

This black leather holster is nice and thick! It is made for a MiniMag. The 'Pocket Mini' will slide in 'snug', then you just stretch the leather a little by pressing your fingers on the sides (each side), like so...

Pocket%20mini%2018.jpg

Then it is 'form fitted' for your Pocket Mini!
wink.gif

Here's the link for the holster: http://maglitesales.com/maglitestore/Holsters/Maglite-AA-Mini-Mag-Holster-Leathe r-AM2A026

Here's the host: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5963
Jay

Check out my DIY Green Laser Build!: :D
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2740501#post2740501

Here's my Key Chain Laser Build!::cool:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2768679#post2768679

Last edited:

wolfstyle

Enlightened
Re: FS: My New 'Pocket Mini' Lasers! - Blu-Ray or Red

will you be making more of these? If so I'm interested in a blu-ray.

wolfstyle

l2azorback

Newly Enlightened

Yes, More blue ray pls!!! I already have my AW R123 primary!!

Regards,

Larry

jayrob

Enlightened

will you be making more of these? If so I'm interested in a blu-ray.

wolfstyle

Yes, these can be built upon request! I have parts for only two on hand, but more parts have already been ordered.

When parts are on hand, I can have one ready to ship with in two days max upon receiving payment. I would contact the buyer with a picture, as well as the power measurement.

One of these first two is already taken. PM me if you are interested! I am taking orders upon payment.

Please take a minute and read some of my testimonials and reviews of other builds:
http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

Thanks for the props guys!
Jay

RocketTomato

Enlightened

Jayrob, these are extremely dangerous high output lasers and you have posted no warnings. Can you please compare these to standard 5 mW lasers pointers for example and post some safety considerations and precautions? What class lasers are these? Class 3b? Is there any UV output with the blue laser? And lastly, can you post some beamshots please?

This is mainly a flashlight forum and some/many of the people interested in these items might be unaware as to how dangerous they can actually be.

jayrob

Enlightened

The blu-ray is 405nm, and is near UV. The red is 660nm.

There is no IR concern here, but at this power, you must be careful...

For both, they can be very harmful to the eyes and the user must use care. Of course, never pointing it at anyone. A direct shot to the eye will cause instant damage.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Class IIIB - <5OOmw (Causes injury if viewed briefly, even before blinking can occur)[/FONT]

When focused properly, these will easily light matches at a distance of 7' or more. Proper eye protection is recommended even for burning.

Beam visibility is honestly rather dim for these wavelengths. The blu-ray at this power can be seen reaching out into the night sky. The red too. But in daylight, the beam is dim. The dot is bright though.

To see beam shots of similar powered builds of mine (with some smoke), check the pictures in these posts:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1212910842/0

Last pictures in the first post: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1222708267/0
Jay

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened

Isak, your Pocket Mini blu-ray will be in Tuesday's mail!
Isak Haugerud 11-18-08.jpg

Please take a minute to read the included instruction sheet. Let me know when you get it!:)
Jay

resistance1

Newly Enlightened

ill take one of these when you can make more.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened

Isak, your Pocket Mini blu-ray will be in Tuesday's mail!
Isak Haugerud 11-18-08.jpg

Please take a minute to read the included instruction sheet. Let me know when you get it!:)
Jay

Cool, I can't wait! :D

jayrob

Enlightened

Note: (11/19/08) There is a list of pre-paid buyers that is starting to develop...

I have all parts on hand, except for more hosts, which have been ordered a couple of days ago. (Update: Shipped today!):) So it will be about 2 weeks...

UPDATE: 11/28 - All parts on hand!
Jay

Last edited:

Raybo

Enlightened

I can vouch for Jay's builds.
Top notch and professional all around.

Ray

Gary123

Enlightened

Jayrob, these are extremely dangerous high output lasers .... Is there any UV output with the blue laser?...
Yes Jayrob, I echo the concern of Tomato, although I think Tomato might have meant IR. I am no laser expert, but I have spoken to laser experts who caution about lasers without IR filtration. I don't fully understand the risks except that IR apparently is strong stuff, is typically the wavelength that is primarily responsible for the lighting of matches, bursting of baloons and such, you can't see it, and it radiates broadly thus posing greater risk of eye damage.

Do you have any idea how much IR is emitted in your Blu-Ray? Do these lights of your incorporate any IR filtration?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jayrob, these are extremely dangerous high output lasers .... Is there any UV output with the blue laser?...
Yes Jayrob, I echo the concern of Tomato, although I think Tomato might have meant IR. I am no laser expert, but I have spoken to laser experts who caution about lasers without IR filtration. I don't fully understand the risks except that IR apparently is strong stuff, is typically the wavelength that is primarily responsible for the lighting of matches, bursting of baloons and such, you can't see it, and it radiates broadly thus posing greater risk of eye damage.

Do you have any idea how much IR is emitted in your Blu-Ray? Do these lights of your incorporate any IR filtration?

IR is not an issue for Bluray - they operate at the opposite end (near UV) of the visible spectrum.

The IR cautioning you have heard about surrounds DPSS (usually green) and straight IR type lasers because they are more ubiquitous and cheaper to produce. To increase profit margins, some manufacturers cut corners on green lasers (such as not installing IR filters).

Of course, with any laser, appropriate safety precautions should be observed.

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened

Thanks chimo...

Yes, these DVD blu-ray and red diode built lasers are not a problem for IR. But they can easily damage the eye at this power!

Since this is mostly a flashlight forum, I am going to edit my first post to mention this...
Jay

JosephK

Newly Enlightened

I know it's a completely different side of spectrum, but I'm curious if a Blu-Ray emitter can be dumbed down to be like your typical 5mW Red laser pointer. Is there a "safe" power level to operate a Blu-Ray laser for presentations and what not?

jayrob

Enlightened

Yes, you could set a PHR-803 diode at around 35 or 40mA's to put out a low power (less than 20mW's), and it would probably last a very very long time!

But with this build, I am using the tiny FlexDrive driver by Dr. Lava. The lowest this driver can be set to, is about 91mA's. That would still put you around 70 or 75mW's. Which would be fine I would think for presentations, as long as you were careful not to point it in someone's eye's.

You wouldn't point a 5 or 10mW laser in someone's eyes either...

One thing to consider for presentations, is that these blu-ray's make certain things glow and fluoresce. I would bet that if you shine one at a white projector screen, the dot would glow and seem very bright and 'widened out'.
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.