My 3 year old son

firefly99

Enlightened
Since the day he was born, I had been secretly wishing he would share my hobbies. After observing him on multiple occasions, I am please that he love flashlights and know when one is required.

a) he used to play with Glo-Toobs sitting in his bath tub

b) help himself to my bag of chemical lights sticks which I use for fishing.
Once bending the light stick so many times that it leak and some of the liquid get into his eyes. My mum had to flush his eyes with running tap water.
I had to put the bag somewhere higher beyond his reach.

c) something rolled under his bed and he would come and ask for "light, light"

d) used to take my EDC, SF E2D and twist off the tailcap in attempt to switch on the light. Now he know how to click it on/off

e) yesterday, he saw my shelf queens (Surefires, specifically, he saw the SF G2 OG, SF M2) on a high shelf and verbally request for a "FLASHLIGHT". This is the first time he pronounce the word "FLASHLIGHT". I am a little reluctance to let him play with my shelf queens, so I picked up a Glo-Toob and pass that to him. He rejected it saying that is for baby and as a big boy he need a real flashlight. In the end, let him have a Fenix P1D to look for his mummy, ants, lizards, rats under the table / in dark corners.

Just to share a pround Dad moment with you folks.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I also have a three year old son, and his favourite game when we go outside is to use my Surefire/Aleph-hybrid and light up peoples houses!:D
I don´t know if the people living there find it as amusing, but I love it!!
Yesterday my wife needed a flashlight and her Nuwai Q3 was out of batteries... what happens? My son walks in the room with his own flashlight!!:rock:

GPB

Enlightened
I also have a 3 year old ( and a 6 yo ) and one of the ways to make bathtime a little more fun is to turn out all the lights in the house and throw 5 or 6 waterproof lights into the tub and some bubble bath to give the water an erie glow. This always puts everyone into a good mood and is a uniquely "daddy" thing to do. They will beg and plead for me to do it but won't even consider asking my wife to do it.

firefly99

Enlightened
I also have a 3 year old ( and a 6 yo ) and one of the ways to make bathtime a little more fun....throw 5 or 6 waterproof lights into the tub and some bubble bath...
So far, this is the only application I have found for my Glo-Toobs.

prof

Enlightened
Wow, I also have a 3 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. My son always asks for one of us to read to him just before bed. I generally take a light (which one just varies) to read with. His favorite is the L1 cree--he shines it all around the room but knows not to shine in anyone's eyes.

Great fun!

My daughter is not as interested...but does think lights are neat.

Kids are great, aren't they?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 1 year old son likes gnawing on any of my Surefires ..... he is teething at
the moment :sigh:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:thumbsup: to all the CPF dads !!

My kids love flashlights as much as I do. We read bed time stories at night by flashlight. The cool glow of a Nichia emitter really mellows them down and gets them in the mood to sleep. We go night-swimming at my friends house with flashlights too. We go out on night hikes looking for rabbits, opossum, deer, lizzards, salamanders, frogs and searching the skies for bats and owls.

Keep the lights out of the toilets though:ohgeez:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids love flashlights as much as I do. We read bed time stories at night by flashlight.
Me, too. My 3 year old daughter asks for "star light" (space-projecting lamp) every night, and then we read books by ZebraLight.

Her favorite is a blue MiniMag with a Kroll and an old Cyan TerraLux drop-in.

The unfortunate flip-side of the light-loving kid is our utility lights (U2 on my bedside table, 6P w/M60 in the utility drawer, etc.) are frequently missing.

firefly99

Enlightened
My only concern is the dangers posed by multiple cells lights, laser pointers, UV lights. Which I try to keep beyond their reach.

I tried my best to give them 1 cell CR123 lights.

My son used to fall asleep with "star light" (space-projecting lamp) when he was a little baby. Now my wife read books to him until both fall asleep with the room light on.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
My six year old son is a true flashahloic. He even sleeps with his Surefire 2008 E1L. Here's his collection so far...

Matthew.jpg

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all fun and games until you have to go to see your kid's principal to discuss the fight your kid started when another kid insisted that Maglite was the best brand of torch you could get and then your kid said naha - Surefire kicks Maglite's butt, from there the argument got heated and violence ensued. Then your wife has to go to the school to apologise after you back up your kid and tell the principal that any kid that reckons that Maglite are the best deserves to be beaten. :crackup:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost forgot...

Lately, she's been insisting on the Zzz...Lite when she goes to bed.

It's funny to watch her try to figure out how to turn a light on. She always tries pressing on the tail first, then twisting the tail, then twisting the head, then shaking it (Zzz...Lite), etc. She's actually better at figuring out random lights than my wife. :)

prof

Enlightened
Almost forgot...

Lately, she's been insisting on the Zzz...Lite when she goes to bed.

It's funny to watch her try to figure out how to turn a light on. She always tries pressing on the tail first, then twisting the tail, then twisting the head, then shaking it (Zzz...Lite), etc. She's actually better at figuring out random lights than my wife. :)

and we certainly hope your wife does not read this...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and they each have a growing collection of flashlights. The 3 year old seems to be more into the flashlights though. He loves my Nitecore NDI and other lights. :)

Gatsby

Enlightened
Oddly my son's favorite light is a Gerber Tempo! He has a Lumapower LM303 that he likes pretty well but I think the small size of the Gerber really impresses him. That is in addition to fauxtons and the like. He gave his sister the NiteIze 3x5mm modded Maglite - I was quite proud of him and he has gained some disdain for the old weak beamed incandescents.

He knows not to touch it, but the Mag85 definitely gets the most oohs and ahhs. Interestingly he is definitely a pocket lights kind of guy - definitely drawn toward the smaller end of the spectrum.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a niece that is one year old thanksgiving and is fascinated by lights. Just a few minutes ago i was showing her my LL P14 and she was trying to push the tail cap but is not strong enough yet, though she is strong enough to hold it. If i shine the light at the ceiling she smiles and laughs & if i shine it at the ground she looks at it and scratches the ground where it is.