Novatac Lego?

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Would the internals of a 120P, including the circuit board, reflector and pill fit into a 120T or 120E?

litetube

Enlightened
Yes they will . Dimensions etc. are the same between the different models. It is just the programming ability which has been "turned off" on some models

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
"turned off"?

Does that mean a 120T or 120E can be "hacked" or perhaps easily modified to enable 120P-like features?

litetube

Enlightened
I dont think they can. You could do that with the HDS versions and with the new RA lights but it has been attempted with the Novas with no luck I believe. When I said off I really meant it doesnt exist. Most assume the Circuitry is the same in both models but the programming option has been "locked","turned off" or whatever. I am not a techie so my terminology sucks.

It is like with the switches , you can swap tacticals with flat P models and Vice Versa.

brucec

Enlightened
Would the internals of a 120P, including the circuit board, reflector and pill fit into a 120T or 120E?

If you are looking for a protruding button but keeping the programming capabilities, you can just swap the tailcap. I think you should just get one of the 120p models to try. It's a nice solid buy at $130.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think they can. You could do that with the HDS versions and with the new RA lights but it has been attempted with the Novas with no luck I believe.

Wasn't there an "easter egg" that enabled programming on non-programmable 120's? Something like 50 clicks in quick successive series IIRC?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't there an "easter egg" that enabled programming on non-programmable 120's? Something like 50 clicks in quick successive series IIRC?

I started the thread on NT easter eggs, but lost interest after I got my Ra-Twisty. This would be great if it were true, did someone eventually figure it out?

I still believe there must be some way to make it happen. It just doesn't make economical sense to produce three of the same light with three different sets of electronics. My contention is that they are all the same light with the same electronics, only the T and E lights are programmed with some code to make them a T or E. It would stand to reason that there is some code to reverse that and make a T or E into a P.

NovaTac, of course denies this. I asked them about it many months ago and they gave me a suspicious and vague answer.

I still have my T, I was planning on selling it when my Clicky arrives, but if I can unlock it and have access to the programmable features, I might just keep it.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, it occurs to me that if NovaTac fired all their Tucson employees, maybe one of them would be able to give us a definite answer on this.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some searching and it looks like someone has done it inadvertently. The guy posting in the following thread turned his 120T into an 85P by accident.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201594

This is basically a confirms that they are all the same light, only a special code is entered at the factory to castrate the T and E lights.

He says in the thread that he called NovaTac about the issue and they told him there was no special code he could enter to go back to T behavior and that he would have to send the light back to them. Yea, right. Send it back to them so they can re-castrate it, by entering a special code.

This is similar to Pentium vs Celeron processors. A Celeron is a Pentium only half of it's cashe is deactivated on the chip. The cashe is still there, it's just deactivated so that Intel can sell two different products at two different prices. The only difference with the NovaTac lights is that with Intel processors the extra functionality is physically castrated rather than just hidden with software. Every T and every E is a P, we just need the darn code.

Anyone have any more info?

streetmaster

Enlightened
I was wondering about this too. I have a 120E and would love for it to be programmable. But I don't want it to become a 85P, I need it to keep the full 120! There has got to be a way.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about this too. I have a 120E and would love for it to be programmable. But I don't want it to become a 85P, I need it to keep the full 120! There has got to be a way.

I'm sure there is a way. In the thread I found, the poster had turned his 120T into an 85P by accident. I take this to mean that he simply stumbled onto the 85P code. This leads me to believe that there is also a 120P code, a 120E code, an 85T code, so on and so forth.

It just makes sense, it's far cheaper to produce all one set of electronics than it is to produce six different ones.

Has to be. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the case.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I've decided to do some more experimenting.

Got out the old 120T and started pushing the button. I just did a factory reset, followed by 500+ presses (not clicks). No dice.

Going to try clicks next, but they are trickier as if you don't get the timing right you end up doing a double click, and then you have to start all over.

litetube

Enlightened
Good Luck!!!:candle: It could be 603,707,892,105.......

How would you know if you have hit it unless after each set of clicks you test then reset start over and then test, then factory reset,start over, test and so on? Is there a known reaction from the light when/if you hit it right? does it blink a certain number of times or something?:popcorn:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Luck!!!:candle: It could be 603,707,892,105.......

How would you know if you have hit it unless after each set of clicks you test then reset start over and then test, then factory reset,start over, test and so on? Is there a known reaction from the light when/if you hit it right? does it blink a certain number of times or something?:popcorn:

I have no idea. The guy who did it inadvertently, just said he clicked it a bunch of times and it started behaving as an 85P. That is all the information he had. Did he do a factory reset before or after, who knows.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I think something happened.

I turned the light on, then did over 200 rapid clicks. The light stays a constant on while clicking. After a whole bunch of clicks the light started flashing slowly as if I had entered the customization menu of a 120P.

This caught me by surprise so I didn't do anything for about five or ten seconds and just stared at the flashing light. After that five or ten seconds had elapsed the light just turned off and now is functioning normally again.

Tried to make it happen again, but so far am unable to. My thumbs are getting a little tired though. I'm going to take a rest then try again.

streetmaster

Enlightened
Damn, I hope you are able to figure it out. I don't have the balls to experiment with mine. I've only had it about a month. The newness hasn't even worn off it yet. Maybe if you ask 4sevens what kind of clicks he was doing and how many?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fiddlesticks, I can't make it happen again. And dang, my arm is tired.

I'll try again tomorrow.