The Finish on my Fenix

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Got my first Fenix a couple weeks ago, an L1T and have really fallen in love with it. This weekend it was my backup next to my 6P in a belt holster.

Well me and my 3 year old son were exploring some outdoors early in the day and he found a rock that he had to keep so Dad volunteered to pocket it for him for safe keeping. Well about 7 that night my son and I had long forgot about the rock and as I emptied my pockets I realized that rock and my fenix had shared pocket space and bounced around knocking against each other thru the better part of a day exploring climbing and hiking.

I must say I don't have alot of shelf queens but i do like to take care of my stuff and I always cringe at the first scratch.

I did find some marks on the Fenix but I was VERY impressed they all were surface and rubbed out to reveal still the perfect no scratch finish.

Nice job Fenix!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I frequently carry an older natural finish Fenix L0D in my pocket with some change, or a key. I have not seen any marks on it, either. I am fond of that little light, even though it is "just" a Luxeon.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have four Fenix lights, ranging from 2-3 years old, to a couple purchased this year. All of them have spots where the finish is worn off from carrying them in my pockets. I'm not abisive with my lights, but just normal pocket carry with keys or other stuff will remove the finish on the edges IME. I don't expect a lot more for the price, and mine are users, not shelf queens. They are ok lights in my book, but their finish can't compare to that of my Surefires when it comes to outright durability.

kts

Enlightened
their finish can't compare to that of my Surefires when it comes to outright durability.
:thinking:

Not all surefires are HAIII :poke:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:

Not all surefires are HAIII :poke:
No really??? Wow, you learn something new every day :rolleyes:

Yes, I realize that, but IIRC Fenix claims their lights are HAIII, but the durability is closer to that of the Type II anodized Surefires I have. Sort of like when Inova was claiming their lights were hard anodized, yet compared to the CountyComm X5's that were definitely HAIII, they just didn't hold up to the same type of abuse.

I'm not trying to slam Fenix or start another Fenix vs Surefire war, I like the Fenix lights I have, and some of them offer a good value for their cost. I wouldn't own four if I didn't think they were decent.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
No really??? Wow, you learn something new every day :rolleyes:

Yes, I realize that, but IIRC Fenix claims their lights are HAIII, but the durability is closer to that of the Type II anodized Surefires I have. Sort of like when Inova was claiming their lights were hard anodized, yet compared to the CountyComm X5's that were definitely HAIII, they just didn't hold up to the same type of abuse.

I'm not trying to slam Fenix or start another Fenix vs Surefire war, I like the Fenix lights I have, and some of them offer a good value for their cost. I wouldn't own four if I didn't think they were decent.
Some types of Chinese Type-III HA is sort of an "improved Type-II", instead of true Mil Spec HA

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix now has their own HA finishing department, rather than out sourcing it, so it maybe improved from the earlier Fenix lights. I believe they also have a way to measure the thickness of the HA.

I have had different experiences with their HA. My LOD CE Q4, with the red HA, has a lot more missing HA than the black Liteflux LF2 that shares the same key ring. I found my natural finish P2D to hold up very well. Shame Fenix go rid of natrual HA as it is supposedly the strongest.

Their new olive HA looks pretty good, but I haven't really abused it to know how it will hold up.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
I experienced the advertised sturdiness of my L2D a couple days ago, when it fell head first from shoulder height on really aggressive concrete floor, and must say that I was pleased with it. Instead of the lens shattering into pieces, the only effect was a little recess in the bezel surface, and little paint gone away.

txgp17

Enlightened
I love my Fenix lights, but the finish doesn't appear to be anodized at all.

Yes, I have Surefire's, both type II & III hard coat.

The Fenix gets scratched real easy.

One example, the head module came undone, exposing the LED. To secure it extra tight, I used a pair of channel locks. The finish flaked off like cheap chrome plating or baked on paint.

I still love them and will keep buying them, but I'll call
anim_bs.gif
on the anodizing claim.