Imageshack hosting: Very Annoying!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't click on links anymore from Imageshack. I get all kinds of popups, and get taken to advertizing links instead.

Now I see a hosted image has a message/link at the bottom. That would upset me because it looks like the poster put it there.

I'm using photobucket, and glad I never chose imageshack. Hope they don't go down the same road.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I never get pop-ups or anything else when clicking on imageshack stuff.

:thinking: Which browser are you using? Is your 'puter clean of bugs and stuff?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Internet explorer, popups allowed because I often need them for other sites.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The problem with Imageshack are the links to pics that are posted. Click on the link = instant pop-up. Happens to me all the time.

But hosting a pic on Imageshack and then directly posting the pic onto a thread, that's where Imageshack beats Photobucket hands down.

Looking through older threads, it's the images hosted on Photobucket that are the first to be gone. They just expire. Imageshack is far better when it comes to older threads with older, hosted, pics.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
So... when you click on a thumbnail image you get other windows and ads popping up too? I dont think I have ever seen this using firefox.

Have you tried a different www browser? Any particular reason you are using IE?... not that IE is the problem tohugh.

Are you sure your PC is clean & your virus scan is up to date? I have seen some less-malitious virus do exactly as you describe. I just cleaned one off my laptop last week.

Illum

Flashaholic
I know the issue :shrug: , but so far I have not found another hosting site that gives the option of thumbnail or hotlink AND the feature of resizing PER image.

Photobucket only has the hotlink feature even though it gives you two link formats, and if you have to make it compatible with the forum you have to change the settings from whatever to 800x800, which include all photos hosted on photobucket...so some pics might be too big and others not big enough

I want individual settings on photo resizing for individual photos...is that too hard to ask?:candle: apparently it is:shakehead

Aside from hosting pics, imageshack.us works perfectly fine on firefox with popup blocker [I use as adblock plus 0.1.7.5] and I use it to "step-down" camera pictures to a more storable size...thankfully my biggest pictures are 16000x8000, any bigger might post a problem:crazy:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm good on virus and firewall protection at home and at work.

The popups happen on thumbnail images that take me somewhere else. Imageshack shows an ad, either as a separate popup or "click here to continue to your image" after showing a java or flash filled screen. :thumbsdow

Embedded pictures now carry a message and link at the bottom. Keep your eyes open, you'll see what I mean very soon. :ironic:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one is hosted by imageshack. What makes the message appear at the bottom when you host it?

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
This is how Imageshack tags your link

But it is easily removed by previewing your post and deleting the Imageshack junk.

Last edited:

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I've been using imageshack exclusively, NEVER had a problem...

Mine show up full size and when you click them, it takes you directly to my picture on imagesshack:thinking:

Care to link us to some examples to what you are talking about so i can try them out, see if it happens to me

matt0

Enlightened
If you embed an image directly into a post, you won't have any popups. If you use the premade image or forum codes, that's where the popups occur. Imageshack creates an automatic thumbanil for every pic even if you dont wish to resize it. If you have basic HTML knowledge and can work with BBcode, you can create your own popup-free thumbnail that will link to the fullsize image.
-----------------
EXAMPLE:

This first thumbnail is using the "THUMBNAIL FOR FORUMS 1" premade code (this is the kind that will give a popup)

Thumbnail I created without any kind of popups.

Basically, to get the thumbnail pic you just change the file extension from ".jpg" to ".th.jpg". Then you can use that and the image url from the "DIRECT LINK TO IMAGE" field to create your own popup.

Or you can just resize every pic to 800x600 and embed it directly into the post without using any imageshack codes

Hopefully that helps someone

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have opera configured to allow manually opened pop up only, works great for supress ads. You can always set different rules for individual website as well.

Norm

Retired Administrator
matto what I see on your first picture is Imageshack information and an add at the top but IMHO none of that is considered to be a popup. A popup is something in a completely new window.