LED Lenser P14 VS X7 (and H7) Shootout Pics

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
The first set of shootout pics was done in my lounge at home.
Flashlights used were the Dorcy International 43-4234 keychain light, and LED Lenser lights Frogman (37 lumen), H7 Headlamp (140.2 lumen Max Beam), P14 (172 lumen Max Beam) and X7 (1068 lumen Max Beam).
The Dorcy was enough for me to see things in a spot around the house with (I use it all the time), but didn't even show up on camera. The Frogman was brighter than the Dorcy, and definitely bright enough to see things with my eyes, but came out so dark on camera I didn't feel it was worth posting.

Both the P14 and X7 use 3 different modes - Low Beam, High Beam and Max.
Low Beam = 1 click.
High Beam = 2 clicks.
Max Brightness is achieved by pressing and holding the button. High Beam is supposed to use only 75% of the energy that Max Brightness uses.

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES FOR THE ENLARGED VIEW

1st, a shot of the lounge with household lights on (2 fluorescent and 1 incandescent) to give you a rough idea of what it looks like BEFORE going dark and doing this small shootout.

Next, the control (all lights off)

H7 on Max focussed to point of no black inside of beam

P14 on High Beam (not Max) focussed to point of no black inside of beam

X7 on High Beam Spot

X7 on Max Spot

P14 on Max Full Flood (Notice how wide the flood is! Lights up almost the entire frame!)

X7 on High Beam Full Flood

X7 on Max Full Flood

More to come! Next post: X7 vs. car headlights!

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
Okay, guys. Here are the pics I promised with the X7 vs Car headlights shootout. Flashlights used are LED Lensers H7 (rated at 140.2 lumens Max Brightness), P14 (rated at 172 lumens Max Brightness) and X7 (rated at 1068 lumens Max Brightness), as well as 2005 Ford Taurus Car Headlights. I actually took a lot more pics, but with my camera some of the lesser light ones just did not turn out. (Both car and flashlight are approximately 40 feet from building)

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGE FOR THE ENLARGED VIEW

First, the control (appears as black but actually there was moonlight and also a far off street light that allowed me to see what appears as dark here)

H7 on Max Spot

P14 on High Beam Focussed somewhat (full flood I felt was too dark to post)

P14 on High Beam Spot

P14 on Max Focussed Somewhat

P14 on Max Spot

X7 on High Beam Full Flood

X7 on High Beam Focussed Somewhat

X7 on High Beam Spot

2005 Ford Taurus Headlights (low beam)

2005 Ford Taurus Headlights (both low and high beams simultaneously)

X7 on Max Spot

X7 Max Spot and Ford Taurus 2005 Car Headlights Low Beam

X7 Max Spot and Ford Taurus 2005 Car Headlights High Beam

X7 Max Full Flood and Ford Taurus 2005 Car Headlights High Beam simultaneously

More X7 and Ford Taurus 2005 Car Headlights High Beam Shots (not all shots show X7 at Max - some, I believe are at High Beam)

X7 and Ford Taurus 2005 Car Headlights (high and low beams simultaneously) (I believe the X7 is on High Beam in some or all of these too)

Well, guys... that's it for now! Thanks for looking! Until next time! ( :

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
where did you get your X7 can't find them anywhere?

I bought mine from brightguy.com. It was their last one! But I've also seen them being sold through quality-items-flashlights.com, and through many other various vendors. However, I would advise calling before placing your order, wherever you find one. Though they might say "in stock" on the website, getting a sales rep on the phone that actually has one in their hands is far more reassuring to me than sending some company my money only to hear from them that they don't currently have any in stock, but will send one as soon as more arrive! That's what I even had to do with brightguy.com. I had been searching around, looking everywhere for one $300 or less- OpticsPlanet was where I was planning on buying from. But they never had any in stock! Now, they've jacked the price up about $100.00! Brightguy was the only one that actually had one at the price I wanted. They didn't even charge me for shipping! $299.99! Exactly what I wanted! They said they had them in stock, but I had the sales rep check before placing my order with them. The rep found out that they had already sold their last one, but offered to sell me their demo model at a discount. While still on the phone with her she found out the that order on the one that was sold couldn't be completed due to a problem with the buyer's credit card. So I bought that one. I'm a happy man!

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the photos ...I'm considering the P14

:popcorn:

The P14 is my favorite flashlight. It has an incredibly wide flood and great throw. Run time is amazing, too! In my hand it feels great - wide & balanced. It feels perfect in my hand, but I'm 6' 1". So if you're small, or a lady, it may not be right for you. The P14 can be found as an officially listed item in the 2009 Riegel & Associates Millitary Approved Gear Catalogue (along with the X7). www.riegel-and-associates.com/uploads/RA_online_retailers_2008.pdf

Riegel & Associates are one of the premier consulting firms working in the defense industry (worldwide). The company has a list of customers including government agencies such as the Pentagon, Homeland Security, Department of Defense, US Army Special Forces, and the US Naval Special Warfare Command. Obviously they want only what works, and only the best. That's one of the reasons I know these two LED Lenser flashlights are good. This company only lists LED Lenser flashlights. They need flashlights with superior run time, and that work. That's these flashlights. Those other guys slamming LED Lenser can say what they want - these flashlights are used and backed by the best. Unless of course you've got something against US Military. ...

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those other guys slamming LED Lenser can say what they want - these flashlights are used and backed by the best. Unless of course you've got something against US Military. ...

Well Coast aren't mentioned on PEO Soldiers approved Family of Flashlights list.

The military also still issues this:
flashlightanglehead400nd2.jpg

SureAddicted

Enlightened

H7 on Max Spot

I'm just very surprised at these two beamshot pics, not for how well they show what it's like outdoors, but how inaccurate they are. My H7 on spot is much brighter when i shine it on trees about 100-150 yards away, and it has a much bigger spot. They must of been taken on the dimmest setting. The pic with the max focused setting is also pretty dim, again mine is much much brighter at that distance. Seems to me like the settings on the camera are way off. When you focus it to the point of having no black inside of the beam, it really doesn't represent or show what the beam is like on max flood, and that is one of the best things about the LL series. Good job on the other beamshots though.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just got an LED Lenser P5 and am very impressed with it, am now considering the H7 for my fishing trips and a P14 for home use, backpack light etc.

Seeing as how you own these lights, could you enlighten (no pun intended) me on its water resistance, durability and runtime?

My P5 says that its 65 lumens or so but no way man, its way bright! Am now a fan of LED Lenser

Power_of_the_Sun

Newly Enlightened
i just got an LED Lenser P5 and am very impressed with it, am now considering the H7 for my fishing trips and a P14 for home use, backpack light etc.

Seeing as how you own these lights, could you enlighten (no pun intended) me on its water resistance, durability and runtime?

My P5 says that its 65 lumens or so but no way man, its way bright! Am now a fan of LED Lenser

Hi Hyperloop - it's been a while since I've checked this thread, so you'll have to forgive me for the late reply. The H7 is an amazing headlamp. I do not, however know of it's water resistance. It's predecesor, the Revolution Headlamp was advertised as water resistant. The P14 is not advertised as water resistant anywhere, and although I'm sure it would be fine in the rain, I certainly wouldn't want to drop it into a river or lake (besides the fact that with batteries it weights about .8 lbs)! I just returned recently from a backpacking/camping/hiking trip. I really wanted to take the P14 with me, but in cutting back on weight, I just couldn't do it. I ended up bringing the H7 and a small, single AAA Dorcy. Together, they did fine and I never had to change the batteries on either for the entire 12 days+ trip. The H7, though it doesn't look like it has much throw or brightness when compared to the X7, truly is a very decent and bright headlamp. The P14 never fails to impress people. It's like a minature spotlight but again, quite heavy.

If you are willing to lug around something that weights 2/3s of a pound with you, the P14 is awesome. And LED Lenser has a lifetime guarantee on both of these products. I had a Revolution Headlamp. One of the plastic peices that holds one of the wires connecting the business end to the battery pack broke. I sent it in for repair or replacement with a note. They sent me a brand new one, no charge for shipping and no questions asked! Since I already had an H7 by this time, I ended up giving my Revolution away. The Revolution is a good headlamp, but when I break out the H7 around most other campers/backpackers it just puts theirs to shame!

All the best on your decision! And if you do decide on a P14 I recommend MaHa PowerEx rechargeable AAs with a MaHa C204W battery charger. They'll run your P14 superbright and won't burnout the LED.

One other thing - it isn't a LED Lenser but I bought an MTE C2-1 from China (available through Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17650). This thing is completely waterproof (to like 60 meters I believe), bright (rated at 150 lumens but actually probably around 110-125) and costs less than $30. If I had needed a compact waterproof light for my trip I would have taken this. Truly a bright light for the price, and with it's separate double O-ring sealing lamp and battery compartments, you can be sure this thing is water tight! I recommend it.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I don't like Coast/Led Lenser. Hence, I tend to avoid them like the plague. My dad's old worklight was an older model, used sparingly. I used to use it to take out the garbage. The focus feature doesn't seem to make a difference in relative brightness (on my dad's). Focused, or unfocused, new batteries or old, it seemed to produce a pallid fog of light a few feet away, with very little color rendition accuracy (and also depth perception). I don't know if they have started producing better quality, but I'm still going to avoid their products in the future. YMMV

Egsise

Banned

The Led Lenser beam focusing system needs air to work. :rolleyes:
If you change the beam shape in rain etc. P7 sucks water in from those tiny vent holes, i believe that there is a similar problem with P14.
Durability... there is a led, tube, spring, button, 5$ worth of parts so the design is very simple and durable, although the heat sink is poorly designed.

Runtime for P14 on high is 3,3 hours to 50% output, low 100 hours to 50%.
P14 high and low output in lightbox lumens are like the Fenix LD20 turbo and low settings.
P7 & P14 are not regulated, not even "semi" regulated, so the light output starts to go down immediately when you light it.
You can get "semi" regulated output by using eneloop cells, but then you are overdriving and overheating the led. The front cap won't get hot because the heat transfer is poorly designed.
So be careful when you use anything else than alkaline batteries.