Review: Coleman CREE XLAMP XR-C LED

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
*EDIT* ok so i finally found this product on the internet, it took many hours of searching.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00682702000P

Overview: I was wandering around Wal-Mart with $35 to spend and came across this nifty looking light. It immediately caught my eye before all the others because I love flashlights with extra pieces or features. This Coleman CREE comes with a red and blue filter.

Specs:
-CREE XLAMP XR-C LED
-rated at 75 lumens
-battery life = 8 hours continuous
-comes with 3 AAA batteries
-comes with a red and blue filter add on
-side clicky

Dimensions:
-5.25 inches in length
-5.75 inches in length (with both filters attached)
-1.5 inches width (bezel)
-1.25 inches width (barrel)

Closer Look:
The milled aluminum body with the batteries in makes this flashlight relatively heavy for less than 6 inches long. It runs on 3 AAA batteries which is supposed to run continuous for 8 hours. The light is bright, only slightly less bright than my 120 Lumens Dorcy. It has a red and blue filter, red for night vision and blue for blood trails. You can use both filters at once for a cool infrared light, very dim though so not much use. The filters can either be stored on the bezel or on the tail cap if you want plain light. The filters are stackable which allows for the use of both red and blue at the same time, this feature also comes in handy for storing the filters on the tail cap. Both the red filtered light and the blue filtered light are fairly bright, but use them together and the light is almost nonexistent, aside from the dim IR light. The light is not a thrower, the further away you are the more spread out the light gets. The flashlight is not focusable, but that really isn't an issue. The side button clicky is not too stiff you can't use it and not too touchy either.

Practical Use:
I would say this is a good EDC flashlight when you need something with a little bit more glow. Especially with the nifty feature of the filters this flashlight has a lot of potential. It has a side click which makes it a bit less tactical but that's not too much of a drawback. This flashlight has a fair bit of potential in the field and if given the opportunity I think it would perform admirably.

Overall:
I give it 4 out of 5 stars, the filters are a cheap screw on and only made of plastic, they could at least be aluminum too. The beam has a serious flood factor, it become severely distorted and no longer circular at 3 feet. But I still recommend this light anyways; it's worth the $20. Although I have heard that the price for AAAs will eventually come back and bite me in the butt, but I'll deal with that when I have to. Also there is not hole anywhere on the flashlight for a lanyard attachment, nor does the flashlight come with any kind of holster.

Pics:
PB170001.jpg

Coleman next to a ruler for comparison, both red and blue filters are detached obviously

PB170003.jpg

Coleman with both filters attached at either end

PB170004.jpg

The beam got a little distorted, but at 1 foot I measure a beam width of about 22 inches

PB170007.jpg

Red filter attached, estimated 1 foot away

PB170006.jpg

Blue filter, less than 1 foot

PB170008.jpg

Both red and blue filters attached, about 1 foot away

PB170005.jpg

I just like these pics so I added it

Last edited:

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
like i said, i have been looking over the internet and i haven't been able to find it on Coleman's website or Wal-Mart's website, i even googled it and nuthin

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
Please show a pic of the packaging.

Thanks.
I sorta demolished the packaging when i took out the flashlight, the way they set it up the glue to pieces of plastic together to make the shell for everything, then they put the paper cardboard around that, so i kinda wrecked it, and i haven't been able to find it on the internet yet. maybe if i get some time i can find all the pieces and try and put it back together and take a crude pic

flashlife

Enlightened
I sorta demolished the packaging when i took out the flashlight, the way they set it up the glue to pieces of plastic together to make the shell for everything, then they put the paper cardboard around that, so i kinda wrecked it, and i haven't been able to find it on the internet yet. maybe if i get some time i can find all the pieces and try and put it back together and take a crude pic

No sweat! Yep, the 'clamshell' packages they use nowadays take a chainsaw to open. I've seen a growing number of tools solely dedicated to opening these damned plastic packages.:shakehead

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
No sweat! Yep, the 'clamshell' packages they use nowadays take a chainsaw to open. I've seen a growing number of tools solely dedicated to opening these damned plastic packages.:shakehead
yea had i thought about it would have just used an x-acto knife and cut out the flashlight and everything else instead of wrecking the packaging. but you know how it is sometimes with new toys, lol.

Fird

Enlightened
hehe, I've cut myself numerous times opening such packages.. not with the knife I was using, but with the stupid plastic itself, darn edges get rather pointy sometimes.

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
hehe, I've cut myself numerous times opening such packages.. not with the knife I was using, but with the stupid plastic itself, darn edges get rather pointy sometimes.
yea, i just wish i could find a picture of the packaging, I have looked all over the internet and found one useless picture at sears.com

Liberty1992

Newly Enlightened
i would say just a resistor, i would check but the head doesn't unscrew and i don't have the tools to force it without completely destroying it

SleazyRider

Newly Enlightened
An excellent video review of this light can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iu4U38ki3U

I tried a WalMart or two without any luck, and since WalMart employees don't seem to be able to answer or talk on the telephone, it is impossible to shop by phone. So I just ordered one from Sears online, about the only place I could find it with the crenated bezel.

creelover

Newly Enlightened
yea, i just wish i could find a picture of the packaging, I have looked all over the internet and found one useless picture at sears.com
I bought this Coleman XR-C 75 Lumen 3AAA at Walmart for 17.99.
I really like the tactical look and feel, and a very bright beam.
I gave a run-time test using cheapo Dorcy alkaline batteries that I bought at my hardware store
for 5.99 for 24 batteries.
I ran it for 8 hours during the day until midnight, and it still had plenty of light left.
Then I ran it for another 4 hours the next day.
That night, I checked out in the yard and it still had a usable beam at 50 feet, my guess is it probably
was outputting about 30 lumens at that point though.

I see this being sold at the Home Depot online:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...n.endeca.EndecaDataBean@6fa2b77e&ddkey=Search