NovaTac EDC T and E Models CRACKED! Back Door/Easter egg found!

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "pre-programmed" NovaTac EDC T and E models are fully programmable, just like the P model.
(P model owners, this procedure is useful for you too, see the "What the manual left out" section below)

I bought a T model many months ago at a local retail shop. This was before I knew of the P model, the local shop only had Ts, and at that time I was not really a flashlight enthusiast. After buying the light I looked online and read about the programmable model. Something made me think that it must be possible to somehow unlock customization. I was not around for the original HDS series lights, but read here on CPF that the HDS basic models had a back door that could be accessed by clicking the light 250 times, this inspired me to find out if this was also possible with the NovaTac EDC. As it turns out... It is.

The procedure to enter the options menu via the "back door" and enable "customization mode", is as follows...

1. Turn the light on to Primary brightness with a single click.

2. Click the button 250 or more times. (These clicks must be in rapid succession. The light should stay on Primary brightness during the 250 clicks.)

3. After you have completed 250 or more clicks, hold the button down for one second (press). You have now entered the options menu. Your light should now be flashing to indicate Option 1 (emergency strobe).

4. Click through the menu options until you get to the last option (Option 9: Ramping/Options Menu). This option, turns the ability to program the light on and off. This "customization mode" is turned OFF by default on the T and E models and ON by default on the P model.

5. Select this option by holding the button down. (light will ramp up in brightness to indicate that you are selecting the option)

6. Turn the light off. (single click)

7. Done. You can now access the options menu with a Click-Click-Click-Press (as per P model), all options, brightness levels and strobes are now available to you. In fact, the light now behaves exactly as the NovaTac users manual for the P model describes.

What the manual left out: (P model owners, you have not been forgotten)
It would appear that the "back door" and Option 9 are a "customization mode". By default the P model ships with customization mode enabled, while the T and E models ship with customization mode disabled. So, this is useful for all NovaTac EDC owners, NOT just T and E owners. You can now set your options and brightness levels how you like them, then disable Option 9 to prevent your settings from being changed inadvertently. If you want to re-program your light in the future, simply enter the "back door" and re-enable Option 9.

Here's a quote from the manual concerning Option 9, with my comments in bold:
Flashlight User Guide EDC- 85P or 120P said:
"The Ramping/Options Menu option is used to disable (or enable, as it turns out) the Brightness Ramping and Options menu, preventing further configuration changes (i.e. exit customization mode. Re-enable it to re-enter customization mode). Perform a factory reset to re-enable the Brightness Ramping and Options menu. (Yes, it's true a factory reset will return your flashlight to it's default settings. For a P model this WILL enable customization mode, but you WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS. Why not just enter the back door and re-enable customization mode?)"

Having problems?
If you are having trouble programming your brightness levels, check to make sure option 4 is enabled. Also, some members are reporting that sometimes setting a certain brightness level will set another brightness level at the same time. This happened to me too. In my case I did a factory reset, then re-enabled customization mode and it stopped happening. Another member reported the factory reset did not cure the problem. The cause and/or absolute cure for this have not yet come to light, but try a factory reset as it did work for me.

Reversal:
At any time you can perform a factory reset and go back to your original default settings.

DISCLAIMER: Use this procedure at YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for voiding your warranty or making your flashlight do something you consider to be undesirable.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
And now you're famous(or infamous to Novatac).

I wonder if this will force Novatac to hire someone to redo the firmware to remove the backdoor.

Looks like it was just a variation of the old 250 clicks trick, this time do it from on not off.

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "pre-programmed" NovaTac EDC T and E models can easily be made to function as fully programmable P models.

I did some work on this months ago, but lost interest. I should have pressed on, as I was so close. We could have had this crack 6 months ago.

Here is the procedure...

1. Turn the light on to Primary brightness with a single click.

2. Click the button 250 or more times (these clicks must be in rapid succession and it is easy to mess up, if the light does anything besides stay on primary brightness, you must start over.)

3. After you have completed 250 or more presses, hold the button down for one second. (same as what you would do for a regular click-press) You have now entered the options menu. (Just like on the P model) Light should now be flashing to indicate option 1 (emergency strobe).

4. Click through the menu options until you get to the last option (Option 9: Ramping/Options Menu)

5. Select this option by holding the button down (light will ramp up in brightness to indicate that you are selecting the option)

6. Turn the light off (i.e. single click)

7. Done, you now have a P model.

You can now access the options menu with a Click-Click-Click-Press (as per P model), all options, brightness levels and strobes are now available to you. In fact, the light now behaves exactly as the NovaTac users manual for the P model describes.

I'm going to bed now, my arm is really tired.:poof:

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twothumbs

OK, I've saved a copy of this.
Novatac may want this info removed if they find out.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder in an EDC 85 will become an 85P or a 120P....hmmmm:thinking:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stupid question, but is this modding reversible?

I suppose I manage to mess something up. :thinking:

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm assuming that you can do it in one of two ways.

a. Do a factory reset.

b. Set the options however you like them (perhaps the original settings for a T or E model), then enter the options menu and turn option 9 off.

streetmaster

Enlightened
You are awesome!! Thank you so much! :rock:

But I too want to know if you still have the full 120 lumens. I want the programmability bad, but I won't sacrifice full brightness.

brucec

Enlightened
This is probably the best Christmas present for many on this forum! Great job! Makes me want to buy a T or E just to hack into it...

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed something else. At first I thought I was loosing my mind or that the flashlight had gone schizophrenic. Neither is the case.

It would seem that not only are the menus and ramping (option 9) disabled by default but so is Force Setting (option 4). YOU WILL WANT TO ENABLE OPTION 4, IN ADDITION TO OPTION 9. If option 4 is disabled, the light wants to return to whatever brightness level it was at when you turned the light off. This makes programming a bit tricky.

I'm going to add this to my original post.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I forgot to mention...

Use this at YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for voiding your warranty or making your flashlight do something you consider to be undesirable.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

WOW!!

I don't even own a 120E/T and I just printed this off...:grin2: