Just got U2A from another CPF member... very dissappointing....*UPDATE*

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got this thing today I was very excited until I looked into the business end. The emitter is TERRIBLY off center. No wonder they were selling it. The seller described the tint as "the whitest" they'd ever seen. Well tint is often a matter of perspective, but this is solidly an "ice blue" tint. Also, when did Surefire stop chemkoting the threads? The threads on the head portion of this light look like bare aluminum. The seller may not have seen that however. I won't mention who the seller is (and neither should anyone else if they know) because they have a pretty good reputation here and I don't trash people. I just think I should have been told about the off center emitter since its clearly obvious. I'll try to post a pic of it. Now if the head can be unscrewed and the emitter is accessible, I can swap it for a nice warm tint P4 from photonfanatic. Can anyone comment on that?

*Update 26 Nov 08 - they're not going to repair it....

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Just got U2A from another CPF member... very dissappointing....

F-ugly!

Send it back to Surefire after giving them a call. Tell them how awful a light got thru their inspection.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does it affect the beam?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you can't solve this through the seller, I agree with sending it to SF for warranty.

ja10

Enlightened

I probably wouldn't crack open the head. An annoying situation would get a lot worse if you put a gouge in the head or broke something. At that point, you'd have no recourse with SF or the seller.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I think you should try and contact the seller first before you "jeer" them. If they advertised it as being centered, or miss-led you in that regard they should be given the opportunity to rectify the situation. A reputable member "should" be given the opportunity to do what they feel is right, and satisfy their customer.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

If anything people say about SF's warranty is true, you should have no trouble getting a replacement.

I think you should try and contact the seller first before you "jeer" them. If they advertised it as being centered, or miss-led you in that regard they should be given the opportunity to rectify the situation. A reputable member "should" be given the opportunity to do what they feel is right, and satisfy their customer.

I don't know how relevant that is, considering that the seller did clearly mislead in regard to the tint.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. When it comes to tint people's eyes perceive differntly enough - not to mention those who may be partly color blind and not even know it - that it is really hard to ding someone on tint. And nearly everything looks white to me until I put it next to another light. Then the other light that I thought was always cool may look warm if I've got a really cool light. But off center LED's are another thing - especially if it shows up in the beam profile. Personally I wouldn't trust SF to improve much on this situation based on what I've read lately. If it's totally defective they'll usually get it taken care of but tint and perfectly centered LED's just don't seem to be their bag. Tell me if I'm wrong but that seems to be the impression I've gotten over the last few years. I think I'd ask for a partial refund from the seller to where you feel you can sell it comfortably without a loss. Then maybe get one from a Brick and mortar store where you can see exactly what you are getting.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I don't mind the challenge of swapping the emitter. That way I know what I'll be getting. Surefire could send me one with a centered emitter, but an even worse tint than this. I just need to know if the emitter is accessible and serviceable. If so , then I'm good to go.

If anyone has any info on this, let me know.

ja10

Enlightened

grnamin put this video on YouTube which is pretty good. I remember him posting about this a while back too, so maybe you can search for "U2 head" and only posts by him.

For what it's worth, you might want to give SF a chance to get it right. They may end up giving you a U2A, and there are plenty of Seoul emitters out there if you don't like the stock tint. If they give you a Lux V, and the color may be worse, but then you aren't any worse off than you are now. Just my 2 cents.

If you do crack open the head, let us know how it goes. I've thought about doing it to mine, but am a little scared to give it a try!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Go on, crack it open and give us a few pics along the way.

Video makes it look easy enough.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. When it comes to tint people's eyes perceive differntly enough - not to mention those who may be partly color blind and not even know it - that it is really hard to ding someone on tint. And nearly everything looks white to me until I put it next to another light. Then the other light that I thought was always cool may look warm if I've got a really cool light. But off center LED's are another thing - especially if it shows up in the beam profile. Personally I wouldn't trust SF to improve much on this situation based on what I've read lately. If it's totally defective they'll usually get it taken care of but tint and perfectly centered LED's just don't seem to be their bag. Tell me if I'm wrong but that seems to be the impression I've gotten over the last few years. I think I'd ask for a partial refund from the seller to where you feel you can sell it comfortably without a loss. Then maybe get one from a Brick and mortar store where you can see exactly what you are getting.

+1

I totally agree that tint is very subjective and is always relative to either an internal or an external standard. For example, I have an extra EX10 GD plus I am considering to sell. ( I bought another one thinking I lost this one. Then the "lost one" was returned.) The EX10 GD I would sell has a warmer more golden LED in it compared to the other one I just got. I prefer the colder LED but hesitate to make a coment about the warmer EX10 I am selling because what appears warm to me, actually isn't warm at all, if you were to compare this warm GD plus EX10 to say, a P2D Rebell 100. Anyone getting the the EX10 GD plus, who already owns a P2D Rebell 100, would say I misrepresented the tint. So it is probably best not to say anything about tint in a listing, until asked, and then try to give a specific answer to the buyer by asking him what lights he owns and then try to compare it to one of those, if you can. Of course, even that is difficult because some models are not uniform in tint to begin with.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I emailed Surefire and included the pic above. They are going to RMA the light. So we'll see what I get back.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I sent an email and left a voicemail. Hopefully by this afternoon I'll know something.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oops forgot today was Saturday. I should hear something by Monday rather....

1996alnl

Enlightened

And this is one of the reasons I LOVE SUREFIRE LIGHTS :thumbsup:

Talk about AMAZING customer service :twothumbs

Other companies take notice to this kind of customer service. This is why 90% of my lights are Surefire.

Take care

thermal guy

Flashaholic

OK i have to chime in and i don't mean to start anything but,if the beam is OK then i just don't see why it matters if the emitter is off center.I mean really it is to be used not to stare at.The tint is another issue.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Other companies take notice to this kind of customer service. This is why 90% of my lights are Surefire.

right on.