*VENT* SUSPENDED __

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
well no school for me monday- I just HAD to be a stubborn dumb***. I havent checked my other thread in a few days so none of you had anything to do with my decision yesterday.

Here is the story:

(late morning at school I pull my e2 out to aid me in rearanging some conections to my laptop[the only light i had with me strangely] and a teacher sees it.)

teacher1[nice one so I will keep her name private.] - trevor, is that the light that you hit grant with the other day?
Me- [puzzled] um yeah- well not exactly but in essence yes
t1- well ok give it to me.
me- say whah?!
t1- you know your not supposed to have that at school.
me- since when? The handbook contract I signed gave me full clearence to carry this.
t1- Im not even gonna argue this - I want it now.
me- Neither am I - Im sorry but you cannot take my property without reason.
t1- you dont need a reason - I dont have to give one.
me- the hell! You have no grounds for this action!
teacher2- youll get it at the end of the day- dont cause trouble.
me- better than that Ill get it now AND the end of the day cause you wont have it.
t1- please, come with me - you are going to have to speak to the principle.
me- sure- fine with me.
[our school promoted an overworked staffer to an even busier position because the wonderful principle that was there was screwed over illigally by the owner and hauled *** just in time- dont get me started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif-- there IS no powerstructure]
MRS BIG (ohno)- the flashlight - now.
me- why?
MB- its a weapon - you know the rules.
me- damn right i do - good thing too cause you apparently dont.
MB- no weapons on school property
me- thats a halfass excuse. I want the real reason.
MB- thats in the rules---
me- oh really - yes I remember . next to :
*No Sexual activity
*No cigerettes
*No lighters pyrotecnics matches or flamable liquids in large quantities
*No Bongs(used) improv. drugs , quantities exceeding max legal amount of weed or other mind altering drugs
*No usage of the above during school hours
*No exstreemly scant clothing

so you ignore it when others break every one of these rules but since trevor has always obeyed without question you will crack down hard because you think he's gonna be easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Your wrong - now give a LOGICAL reason as to the reason for denying me my property.
MB - This is not up to discusion- you made it a weapon when you hit grant with it. You no longer may carry it.
me- I swear if I had a HKG36c in my bag with a full vert. system you would leave that and take the measly e2!
MB- not if you used it as a harmful weapon.
me- grant openly attacked me in front of a teacher! TWICE! The first time I ended up with a sofa chair laying on me and my laptop and NOONE HELPED ME FREE MYSELF! (DAMMIT I NEVER BEAT HIM UP THEN DID I B*****?! NO .I FREED MYSELF AND RIGHTED THE CHAIR AND SAT DOWN! I NEVER EVEN RETALIATED. ) the next thing I knew I was dragged across the room! how long were you people gonna let him assault me?! I did what I had too - I nuetralized a threat.
MB- nevertheless it is now a weapon - you hurt grant with it.
me- ARE YOU BLIND OR HAVE YOU FORGOT - [points to forhead cut and knot] - have you confisgated his hands. did you rip his nails off "just til the end of the day" and tell him to never come back with them?
MB- you are acting immature. its ridiculouse - we cant take his hands.
me- ah- then by your reasoning he is as much a threat to me with that as I am to him with the e2.
MB- You have 2 choices give up the light and never bring it back or you will be suspended monday and miss the first day of BCIS and get behind.
me- (hesitation) I...I say agian- give me a logical reason . otherwise I will not submit to this treatment.
MB- you are suspended- I dont want to see you monday. you may return tueday
me- (shaking with pent up frusteration)(quietly) my mother is the one who pays please notify and clear this with her. I will gather such work as i can before I leave today to work on over the weeke-
MB - NO! that is part of the punishment - you will stay home and know how far behind you are getting. we will check your bag for work at the end of the day and take what we find. this meeting is over. i have things to do.
me- you never answered my question.

[then i left]

I managed to slip a BusLaw textbook with me unbeknownsto them but thats not gonna help much- Im almost done. I really needed phycology. I didnt even know that was legal- I mean denying you educational materials that you paid to use.

I know i could and should have given in but It was insane. They had no grounds and they know it .
They could have stoped the attacks before I had to. I gave them all the time in the world- And they just watched like some prison gaurds are known to do. you know - " let em fight but stop em quick if the marks could land us in court." I would have used my hands if I could- my favorite method is to bearhug and fall to the ground then flip em over and hold the wrists together behind the back-- this was not an option this time. I had no desire to brawl- I use fists for that- no I wanted to stop him as fast as I could so I needed to control the situation.

he doesnt even want to fight me anymore(thats what I thought the first time tho.)and actually for all the talk I think hes AFRAID of me. he thought he had me figured out and bam I "went nova".

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I am watching this topic but I think Ill go stare at yuki a bit to pacify myself.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, that's the school you attend.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
When asked, you should have said, "No - I left that light at home. This is a much smaller one."

Hindsight is always 20/20, though.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that really sucks man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

you need to start taking a 6d mag to school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if you hit him with a book, would they take away all your books? What about a pen? Or a chair - would they make you stand all day - you're not allowed to have a chair? Absolutely rediculous.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, that sucks!

But you let them get to you! You have to think faster than they or they will always take advantage of you. You need to accept a couple of things, like the fact that you're smarter than they are, and that you have every right to defend yourself, both physically against other students and mentally against their posturing and abuse of athority.

You may need to do a little manipulation of the underlying assumptions they are making in order to do this. Some people call this lying, but I think of it as a mental defense. If you don't like the outcome of the game, you have to change the rules...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't need any instruction from such bass-ackward fools anway Trev.

Sorry state of affairs, but that is not surprising given the state of the American public school system. They suspended some 3rd grade kid for three weeks from school over in Las Cruces, NM a couple of months ago for drawing a picture of his father (who is in Iraq) in uniform and carrying a rifle..... They called it "Glorifying and Inciting Violence", and called the U.S Army uniform "Showing Gang Colors". There was quite an uproar over that, and after a week or so, the Governor made them let the kid back in school.

Can your parents afford a private school for the remainder of the year? Or homeschooling?

It sucks, but I'm glad you stood up to them. When I was your age, I would have wimped out.

Hang in there- In the long run you are better off.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really am considering that you go to legal action with them... You may sue the teachers and the principal for damages and medical bills... And you would probably win!

Dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with going the legal route, if your folks can afford it.. the school deserves it, and, one way or the other, you will be getting a really valuable lesson !.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif goodluck!

Tomas

Banned
My problem is that I can see this from both sides. *sigh*

I happen to agree with Aragorn's side, but I can understand a rule that defines anything that has been used as a weapon as a weapon.

As a weapon, their choice to not allow it to be carried is legitimate if for no other reason than to protect themselves from liability should it be used again as a weapon after they have already recognized it as such. They didn't write the laws that would make them at fault for not banning a weapon they were already aware of.

Their decision to send you home was probably appropriate given that you refused to surrender the weapon (neither would I have, BTW). Their decision to not allow you to take work home, however, was in my opinion incorrect.

Their having to consider the light a weapon is pretty much not under their control. Their having to confiscate it when the see it, the same. Their not intervening prior to the light being used initially as a weapon is their error, and not letting you take your work home when suspending you is questionable.

Where to go from here? I dunno.

tomsig03.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Trevor, I know you have indicated that you wish to avoid legal action. However, when you are dealing with people that have authority over you, legal ramifications are the only thing they understand, since it's the only acceptable and effective defense you have. When given an order by one in authority, if feasible it's best to do as they say. But you can remind them that they will be held responsible for their decision, and will be required to defend that decision in court. Sometimes that's all that's necessary. At other times it's necessary to follow through.

Refusing an "executive" order does complicate matters. It puts you into having to justify an insubordinate action, and that's not always easy.

Greta

Flashaholic
File charges of assault against the kid. The damage you did to him was in self defense and a counter suit will be tossed out. I'm serious... file charges. Get a police report. There are enough witnesses. The teachers can have charges filed against them as well for not stopping it. They are accessories.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i like sasha's idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sounds like they all deserve it...

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
...snip... The teachers can have charges filed against them as well for not stopping it. They are accessories.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, I know a teacher who took to long to breakup a fight (he was just out of the hospital), and he lost his license to tach - aka, he can NEVER be employed as a teacher agin - a real blow when you are 60! It's like saying "Congrats, you'll very work again"

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh?
Back in my country, when teacher do that, no legal action is required. Simply call your parents and they will take care of it. MAybe not as easy here, but I agree in the legal action. They deserve it. It is good that you DIDN'T gave your light, because if you do, then you can tell what is next right? The light might never come back with a variety of reason. 1. This light is a weapon and you cannot keep it for that matter. 2. The light can be used as a weapon, therefore, you cannot have it for the rest of the year. This might look like a slippery slope, but from reading your post, it seems that it was their intention: keep the light.
In terms of the legal action, while i agree to take the way, you have to make sure that you got enough witness to defend yourself and even more witness to sue the school boards.
anyway, Best of luck. You are gonna need it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2dogs

Enlightened
Sorry Aragorn, I'm sure you're a good kid. But, you were wrong in how you handled yourself. It sounded like a selfish rant of a (rich) teenager. Hand over the light, pick it up at the end of the day, no big deal. Argue with your teacher and then an administrator. Stupid. Argue to the point of suspension... way stupid. Did you even work to buy the light. If not you should treat a gift better.

Some day you'll work for a living. Maybe work for a boss who's a jerk. You should develope some flexability in your attitude now while you're young. At least you owe an appology to the teacher and MB. A lot worse than this could happen some day and you may need their help.

Pride goes before a fall.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grant does not want to agrivate me anymore- He learned the hard way. I will not seek revenge of any shape or form on him. period . call it strange but If I caught someone in a fight with him I would take his sidewithout regret. he may have been stupid but Im not mad at him any longer.

This is a private school.

And what do you do if they got to mom first- Ive no Idea what they told her but she is mad at me for being so thoughtless. ???

It cant be legal to deny learning materials to anyone who asks and pays for the use of them.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
aragorn, i think you were right in not handing over your light.

it far better to take a day off school than to have a $70 light "lost"

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
2dogs-

rich teenager? pleeeeeeeese thats relative.
I think tho we are mid middle class

Work- Try menial labor 27+ hours a week on for size. for 3 years so far at the same place.

And why yes It was a birthday presant- MY ONLY BDAY PRESENT. Only then since I got a real deal from a connection.

Like I said - Part of me thinks It was stupid. the more the better side of me says that they deserve NOTHING. The little voice in my head has some rather pointed things to say about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.