Inverse Reflectors

dovh49

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post to CPF! I have been searching for an "inverse" (I don't know what else I could call it) reflector so I can build a lamp for my flashlight, i.e., I want to make an attachment that goes on the end of my flashlight so I can use it as a lantern and flashlight, or even as an LED torch :twothumbs. Does anyone know where I could purchase a reflector like that?

The reflector would look similar to the one on this lantern:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5231136

Thanks in advance!

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first post to CPF! I have been searching for an "inverse" (I don't know what else I could call it) reflector so I can build a lamp for my flashlight, i.e., I want to make an attachment that goes on the end of my flashlight so I can use it as a lantern and flashlight, or even as an LED torch :twothumbs. Does anyone know where I could purchase a reflector like that?

The reflector would look similar to the one on this lantern:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5231136

Thanks in advance!
:welcome: I'm not sure about where to purchase a reflector like that, but do know of a lantern attachment for Surefire 6P compatible hosts. Here's an example of a complete light kit for not too much $$

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Actually, that mini lantern that you linked to in your post is actually a pretty darned good piece of equipment and I think that you would be hard pressed to buy a reflector for that price. I just saw a post where a CPF'r put a translucent 35mm film canister on top of a flashlight by cutting a hole in the lid to match the bezel size. Might not be the highest tec or prettiest solution but pretty effective.

REI outlet has some lanterns on sale that you could cannibalize for the reflector if you are really set on trying to retrofit/mod your flashlight.

Good Luck and have fun while you are at it!
:welcome:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
You might want to be careful with that film canister idea depending on how hot your flashlight gets after running for a while. I say go for the lantern, and then try to make a reflector out of your credit card and if you are successful, your card will be destroyed saving you a lot of money on future flashlight purposes but at least you will have a new lantern.