Father - Daughter wedding dance - song needed

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - title is a little long, but the basic story is there.

My daughter is getting married this spring, and my one responsibility (beyond funding things) is to pick the song for the traditional father / daughter dance.

I am stuck and need suggestions.

Here is the challenge, it has to be something that can be slow danced to, but it would be nice if it were at least a little bit soft rock like. (my wife and I's song is Billy Joel - you may be right, I may be crazy" if that gives you any indication of my general thinking)

Most of the songs I have looked at are written for BF / GF, not really father / daughter.

Please don't suggest
- Country / western
- Rap or similar

After that, I am reasonably open. Artist that I have looked at so far (but have not finalized a song yet)
- Cyndi Lauper
- Billy Joel
- Elton John
- Styx

Still looking.

Thanks

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father

Is the first song to come to my mind.

Bob Carlisle - Butteryfly Kisses

Since you suggested Cyndi lauper, what was "She bop" about anyway?:devil:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey TeBore - I am not a prude, but She-bop might not be appropriate - and I can't dance worth ____ anyway. I was toying with "time after time".

Billy Joel's "Its my life" might be a better fit for her teen years, but probably not a good wedding fit either.

Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father and Bob Carlisle - Butteryfly Kisses - probably ok - but I might fall asleep on those. Maybe a little less "Canned Disney Children's move like"

InTheDark - use a web search engine - Thanks - how the heck did I miss that one. :ohgeez:

Anyway, feel free to make suggestions everyone.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey TeBore - I am not a prude, but She-bop might not be appropriate - and I can't dance worth ____ anyway. I was toying with "time after time".

Billy Joel's "Its my life" might be a better fit for her teen years, but probably not a good wedding fit either.

Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father and Bob Carlisle - Butteryfly Kisses - probably ok - but I might fall asleep on those. Maybe a little less "Canned Disney Children's move like"

InTheDark - use a web search engine - Thanks - how the heck did I miss that one. :ohgeez:

Anyway, feel free to make suggestions everyone.

She bop wasn't a suggestion it was just a joke for those of us who are old enough to remember. :laughing:

I don't want to miss a thing - Aerosmith has some nice ambiguous lyrics about love.

Want to throw in some more "newer" artists.
Norah Jones Michelle Branch.

And there's always good old Clapton.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Congratulations!!, thats a very emotional ordeal for a dad from what I understand.

Some Sinatra / big band perhaps?
"The way You look Tonight"

Theres a song called "I loved her first", its written by a country/western artist but I think other artists have done non-country renditions of it.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about:
"The way you look tonight" Tony Bennett
"Because you loved me" by Celine Dion
"Unforgettable" Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole
"Wind beneath my wings" Bette Midler
I've heard these at weddings before and they may be overused but the right sentiments are there.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
from one Harry to another: congratulations!

How about "fly me to the moon?"

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the ideas so far and the congrats.

I think that the search continues - sort of like finding a perfect light I guess.

Let's add a few more music types to the "prefer not" list
- rap
- Country
- Big band
- Sinatra, Benett, or any other Vegas bar like stuff.
- Disney movie like music

Who knows, maybe I will end up with one of those - but I hope not. It looks like there is a huge music industry hole here. :confused:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
...snip... (my wife and I's song is Billy Joel - you may be right, I may be crazy" if that gives you any indication of my general thinking)
...snip...

If your thinking that vein humor wise - Love Stinks - J Giles (which my wife and I decided NOT to do for our wedding, even though it's the song I most assoicate with her - I didn't own my own care when we started dating, and my friend who we hung with had the 8 track in his player all summer that summer)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
She bop wasn't a suggestion it was just a joke for those of us who are old enough to remember. :laughing:

Thanks for making me feel old. :p

ON TOPIC :

"Wind Beneath My Wings," by Bette Midler.

(More for dad. But still fitting).

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
InTheDark, that's a great list.

I vote with Oddjob and Monocrom, for Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings."

HarryN, if no song really suits you, how about taking your favorite melody, and writing your own lyrics? You can record the song to be played at the reception, or have someone sing it live. About as special and personal as you can get.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I am starting to think of classical - something like a Beethoven piano sonata. I used to have a tape of pianist Friedrich Gulda from the early 80s around here.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata mvt. 3 - here is one variation from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZaTzSWqXCU&feature=related

This might work but it could also be too difficult for my feeble attempts at dancing.

Movement 1 is more my speed, but might be too dark for a wedding.

Last edited: