Which light has these features for new EDC?

burf151

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!
New guy here, been lurking awhile. I have always been fascinated by lights, been carrying Surefires for about 10 years. For the last 2 yrs. my EDC has been an L1. I like the L1 a lot, but it seems that a 1xCR123 light could be smaller. The L1 is also a pocket shredder. I decided to get a Fenix L1D for traveling (AA batteries, and cheaper to replace) after TSA apparently snagged my original SF E2. So I have been EDCing the Fenix to try it out. I like the form factor of the Fenix better than the L1, and it sure is bright. I don't care for th UI much, though. It has too many output levels, and I don't need SOS or strobe. So I'm hoping if I lay out some criteria, the experts here will help find the light closest to meeting them.

Here is what I hope to find:
1xCR123 LED light.
Size and form factor similar to Fenix P2D.
Build quality and machining on par with SF maybe with less aggressive knurling.
3 levels, 1 very low like my l1, 1 as bright as the light is capable of, and 1 in the middle.
Around $100.00
So, what am I looking for? Thanks for your help!

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Have you looked at the Nitecore EX10?

It has variable levels of output, low being 3 lumens, high 130 lumens, no strobe or SOS.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
NovaTac

It's about 3-4mm thicker in diameter, and about a mm longer than the P2D. The build quality and knurling fit your desired requirements to a T. It has four output levels, but you don't cycle through them, so you only use what you want.

You should be able to get a 120E for $85-90 new. The stock setting may be fine for you, and if not you can enable the programming menu and tweak it to your heart's content.

Edit: there appears to be an echo in here.

Last edited:

burf151

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys! Finally made my selections, just ordered a Fenix P2D Q5 and a Nitecore EX10. I'm starting to get used to the Feinx UI, and was curious to try the Nitecore as well. I will probably get an RA clicky in the future as well.