Does anyone make a bezel for an aspherical lens?

Officer Thompson

Newly Enlightened
I have done some looking around and PMed some of the people that make bezels and I haven't been able to find anyone that makes a bezel that would completely protect an aspherical lens. Is there such a bezel out there for a maglite?

jag808808

Enlightened
Re: Does anymake Make a Aspherical bezel?

Officer Thompson,

We have ALL been waiting for one to come out. There may be one in the works. Watch the custom b/s/t.

Aloha,

jag

I have done some looking around and PMed some of the people that make bezels and I haven't been able to find anyone that makes a bezel that would completely protect an aspherical lens. Is there such a bezel out there for a maglite?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nope .... I have been after one as well.
The only solution so far is CPFer Download's 55mm stainless steel bezel
It is threaded at the end so all you do is get a 55mm camera lens hood
and screw it to the end of the bezel.

Other CPFers have modded the aspheric lens by grinding the lip of the lens
so it sits lower in Mag and used a Kiu VL bezel to completely protect the lens.

If you look over in the Marketplace, CPFer CFROMC is a dealer for XCapeCap
and has said that he MIGHT produce a bezel that will protect an aspheric lens

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened

And, if you are using a MagLite, you can always buy the black plastic anti-roll device that they sell for just a couple of bucks. I use one, and I like it a lot. It allows me to store the flashlight head down on my table, and I can use the light with the device still on it or take it off for appearances sake.

Frank

Officer Thompson

Newly Enlightened

well thanks everyone for the quick answers. I already talked to CFROMC and yea he doesn't have one right now but he said they might produce one. It would be nice because I bet everyone with asphericals would buy one.

Is there any piping like at local store that will screw on to the maglite head and is about the same thickness as the stock bezel. If so it should be that hard to custom make my own. Does anyone know what thread the outside of the maglite head is?

Nanomiser

Enlightened

Sorry for the late reply, but I just stumbled across this thread. I have been working on a couple of proto type bezels to accommodate both the KD & Mells Griot aspherical lenses. Here are some cross-sections of the concept models I came up with during the design phase based on a D-Mag head.

However, the final design will fit both Mag D & C lights. Unfortunately I don't have any images of that bezel right now, but I can post them later if there is enough interest. The finalized design is different aesthetically as well as functionally base on some helpful input from an experienced CPF member. I added some finning for heat dissipation and I shortened the crenellation.

I know how much everyone loves to see metal so my initial plan was to start an interest thread after my machinist made the first two units. I did generate a couple of prints which he's has had for about 5 months now and still hasn't found the time to bang'em out yet.

Part of the problem is he offered to do these first two free of charge. This means any paying jobs come first and so far he has been up to his eye balls in work. This guy is the best machinist I've ever worked with so I know it will be worth the wait, but I may just have to figure out a way to pay him in order to get done.

Anyone have some good ideas on how to get this project off the ground?

FitCompairisonFront-1.jpg

FitCompairisonDimetric-1.jpg

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woww Nanomiser, those are good looking bezels :twothumbs
So far no one has made a bezel for aspheric lens .... should sell well.
I would be in for two, maybe three

Nanomiser

Enlightened

Sounds very encouraging! Like I said in my PM, I will connect with neoseikan and see what he thinks.

DM51

Flashaholic
Officer T, you could have done a better job on that title. I've edited it to what I think you probably meant to say.

sappyg

Enlightened
i'll bet you could try photonfanatic in the builder/ modder subforum.... this look right up franks alley.
you'll have to specify the # of dimples you want in the bezel though: )

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I'd like a bezel that would protect the lens! Not so pointy though, If you can see the lens from the side, then a little light will leak out and possibly affect your vision.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I'd like a bezel that would protect the lens! Not so pointy though, If you can see the lens from the side, then a little light will leak out and possibly affect your vision.

Agreed. I don't need the points---just the extension to prevent the usual sidespill of light and lens protection in case I place the light head down. A smooth front end will do me just fine for this project and be much more simple to produce. I'll take five.

Karl

gpturner

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbsI like the design, I hope to see one for sell soon. The whole reason for the maglight over smaller but as powerful lights for my wife and I is to use as a club (She works at night out and about in the city) so the pointed bezel looks good.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Looks like I really need to get my interest thread started.
Once I have it posted I will post the link here. :grin2:

Nanomiser

Enlightened
A couple of months ago I contacted, I think it was Lux, about this design and he pointed out the exact same thing along with the slot length. Because of this member's suggestions and help the finalized design is not as pointy and also incorporates some fining. This should prove to obscure any line-of-sight from the light.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, to each his own but, if there will be a choice, I'll choose the simpler design with a straight (non-crenulated, non-pointed) front.

Karl

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont really care whether it is pointy or flat
all I want is a bezel that will protect my aspheric lens
I would be in for two maybe three bezels

dalton

Newly Enlightened
I know my brother has an aspherical lens in one if his mags and would love one of these. I was thinking about trying an aspherical and if I did get one, I'd like one too.....

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several bezels for my Mag asphericals however, they do not fit as I'd like and I'm not keen about grinding down the perimeter of the lens for a proper (flush) fit. The 50mm aspherical seem ot be OK but, that lens diameter provides for a much less concentrated beam.

Karl