Simple 3N Green Led "mod" (after a Frys juncket!)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Simple 3N Green Led \"mod\" (after a Frys juncket!)

I got to Frys finally last night. I came home with two of the 10 Candela Green LEDs I have been seeking. I also picked up a 2AAA Laser pointer for a cat toy.

The "mod" consists of a Silver 2AA Pushbutton Aluminum flashlight I got at Academy. It came with a rather porky and wimpy bi-pin bulb that meant the hole in the reflector is big enough for a 5mm LED. The LED is the Linros 10 Candela Superbright Green LED that I got at Frys. And of course 3 N Cell batteries (these came from Frys)

I wrapped the batts up in note paper to keep them from rattling, and shortened the leads on the LED to a more useful length.

It puts out a somewhat blotchy 'spot' that is about a foot wide at about six foot, with a very wide Corona. It pretty well lights up my whole hand from about a foot away. The 'spot' isn't as noticeable when used like that. I attempted to use the optic from my Madmax modded Mini, but it doesn't seem to do much for the LED, seeming to suit a low dome Luxeon WAY better.

In pure darkness it would be EXTREMELY bright. Here on my desk the only place it is drowned out is directly under my desk lamp. It will light my keyboard up nicely.

It's no Madmax, Attitude or maybe even ARC AAA. But it is something I did myself that is better than a poke in the eye! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Simple 3N Green Led

very nice!

pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flow

Newly Enlightened
Re: Simple 3N Green Led \"mod\" (after a Frys juncke

Linrose, hehe.
I just did my first mod mabey a few days ago. Solitaire with a 21/23 battery and a 220ohm resitor in a plastic tube, and one of there green 10cd leds.
If it's dark enough, I can set it on the kitchen counter and see everything in the room.
So I bought 2 more. The colors are horribly inconsistant.
The beam looks about as bad as yours too. But it just totally blows away a std solitaire, and my stock minimag when it's set wide. Only using about 1/2 the resitance it recommended too though...
I sent rothrandir and a couple others pics of it via email, I'll see if I can get them up here.

Back to the point, yeah. These are pretty nifty leds. At least compared to the 3000mcd 6deg. red P.O.S. I got from ratshack a while back. Tomarrow (I hope) I'm ordering some leds online, and the flashlights I want, but I get the feeling these are fairly impressive, especially for off-the-shelf.