E2e in Iraq

kz1000s1

Enlightened
In the coverage of the war in Iraq I've seen many M16's and M4's with Surefire lights mounted on them, but I haven't seen what flashlights soldiers have been using until saw this photo. This is a U.S. Marine who has an E2e clipped to his Kevlar vest. An excellent choice if you don't want to carry something bigger and heavier like an M2.

Has anyone else seen what troops are carrying these days besides the issue angle-head light?

e2e_marine.jpg

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife's list...
m!n!-mag modded with BB400 Q3L and kroll
Infinity Ultra G
Infinity amber
Photon III white and red
Streamlight Stylus
Crappy issued light

lots of AA's and photon batts + 4 rechargables (AA) with Brunton solar recharger (a little bigger than a CD player)

She wouldn't take any of the others I tried to push on her
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a few guys over at Travis AFB carried TACMs. Most of the time, it's SureFires or their regular issues...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the real question is... "why is he wearing a pirate hat?"

i wonder if it's just a light he brough from home...?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not E2e. A2s has been issued to mil specforces for a fairly long time now.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
It is not E2e. A2s has been issued to mil specforces for a fairly long time now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to tell in the photo I posted, but it does appear to be an E2e in the original photo. The bezel is straight, not tapered, the flange at the top of the body doesn't have the scallop cuts of the A2, the side cut on the body is long instead of a shorter rectangle, and the lettering on that cut is one row of letters like an E2e.

An A2 would be an even better choice though, especially with red LEDs.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just looks like A2 in that pic. It may be an E2e. Regardless, US Military had field-tested A2s WAY before it was released to general public.

Blikbok

Enlightened
having worn a boonie hat before, you turn up the sides for increased peripheral vision, esp. on the side you hold your rifle, when the sun isn't out in force.
Also, in cars, in crowds, or dense foliage, the brim can grab things and come off-- a very quick way of loosing concentration.

Out of frame at the top is the little sliding clasp on the "chin strap". Flip the strap over the top and cinch the clasp down, and the strap will hold both sides airborne.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
It just looks like A2 in that pic. It may be an E2e. Regardless, US Military had field-tested A2s WAY before it was released to general public.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, I wonder why they didn't report the issue of the o-ring almost being exposed when in LOTC position.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefarc,

Hmm... That's wierd... You got any other browser to go through instead of your current one? I'm seeing the pic just fine...

Hmm...

fc36449a.jpg

Can you see it now?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Thanx a bunch FalconFX !!! I can't tell from the pic whether it's an A2 or E2e though.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I can understand why it could look like an A2 but I've fiddled with the image's brightness and gamma correction and I've decided that I don't think it's an A2 - the difference in HA shades on the bezel parts suggests it's an E2e - some of the ones that Shelby Chan has photographed have a big difference in HA shades on the bezel.

Al