Nitecore D10 High Pitch noise on Max Brightness? Normal or Defective?

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
I just received my D10 today from 4Sevens Golden Dragon version and when it's on or around max brightness I can hear a faint high pitch noise coming from the light.
Anyone with this light know if this is normal or should I contact 4Sevens for a exchange?

Thanks.

rgiuse

Newly Enlightened
I have the D10 GD and mine with 1.5V AA battery make an high pitch nois
but with the 14500 3.7V lithium battery the pitch noise there isn't or is not audible

jbviau

Enlightened
This is normal. There have been many reports of "inductor whine" in the Nitecore lights (and others too). My first EX10 did it in the medium modes while ramping with regular CR123As. My second EX10 only does it sporadically, again in the medium modes while ramping, with li-ions. Of course just now when I ramped all the way up and back down with the light next to my ear I couldn't hear anything. If this bugs you, you might try changing batteries before thinking about an exchange. Hope that helps.

LESLIEx317537

Newly Enlightened
After putting in a fresh alkaline it does not make the noise at max brightness but still I can hear the slight noise at a certain level of brightness.

Thanks for the replies. Still a awesome light.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normal. It's the inductor in the boost circuit oscillating. It will make different sounds at different brightness levels. Possibly if your contacts are dirty it can make it hum more, but the D10 should have pretty solid contact area to eliminate that possibility.

One brightness level my D10 gets really loud. Just a certain frequency is more audible than others.

iamstuffed

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212954

I asked a similar question and got a few responses. Even though people would say that it's just a fact and that it is supposed to whine, I think it's a defect that they never tested for, since it only seems to affect those who can hear it.

I have plenty of LED lights, and none of them except the Nitecore D10 GDP light whines like a beast. It's just a poorly designed circuit if it's that loud. Plenty of other companies make lights just as nice that don't whine. If I weren't giving it to an older person as a gift (he won't be able to hear it), and I wanted something like that for myself, I would be returning it. Because I bought it used for cheap, I don't really care.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry it's normal. It's a combination of the power driver's inductor and the PWM used to ramp up and down the brightness. In fact, you can stick the front end into your hear as you ramp up or down and hear it "sing" :laughing:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one were to really want to remove the noise, you could use electronic potting compound to help dampen the coil's vibration and hum. Sort of dynamat for electronics if you will. But it will void your warranty.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people have more sensitive hearing than others. I let my wife use my D10 as she doesn't hear it. But to me, its very annoying. Its the only light I have that makes with annoying, high pitched noise!!

jr/