AA 2 mode with forward clicky - does it exist?

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
I love my Fenix L1D CE, but the forward clickies of my Surefires have spoiled me, and now I much prefer that mode of operation. Also, I really don't need all the different modes, I just need a low and a high, and a dead simple way of switching between them. Ideally, the light I'd love to see would have the L1D form factor with just two levels (didn't the L1T have this?), a simple UI (maybe switch on/off and head turn for hi/lo, as in the TK10 for example) and run from an AA. I know there is a forward clickie tailcap available for the L1D, but I wouldn't want to pass up the chance for getting a new light ;).

So, are there any lights that fulfil these criteria? How does the Nitecore D10 compare? It's a great looking light, but how is the UI? I believe that switching between max and min is double click or click/hold, is that correct? Any other lights I should look at as well?

Thanks,

Dave.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L1T V2.0 is 2 mode forward clicke. The Nitecore Defender Infinity is dual output, lower output is user settable, and has a strobe that isn't in the way of things. The Eagletac P10A is also dual mode foward clickie.

Lookin4U

Newly Enlightened
+ for EagleTac P10A

I have a Nitecore D10 and D20 and cannot recommend them. I ordered them at the same time and have found, like many others who own them, that the UI is a real PITA. Basically, they are only two mode lights unless you have lots of time and patience.....

Marduke

Flashaholic
L1T V2.0 is exactly what you describe.

I have a Nitecore D10 and D20 and cannot recommend them. I ordered them at the same time and have found, like many others who own them, that the UI is a real PITA. Basically, they are only two mode lights unless you have lots of time and patience.....

That's because they are not meant to be 2 mode lights. They are 1-mode lights with that one mode being user adjustable with memory.

Sweet, post #6000

Last edited:

Axion

Enlightened
+ for EagleTac P10A

I'll counter this by saying that IMO the Smart PD UI is awesome. I really don't know why people get so hung up on not being able to go back to the exact same "memory" position every time.

If you want low or high they are a quick shortcut away. For anything in the middle I either shortcut to high or low, depending on which is closer to the brightness I'm trying to get to, then I ramp from there. If you have reasonable coordination it is a piece of cake. Sure it's not the fastest thing ever, but I like that it's all one handed unlike twisty lights. I also like that I can use momentary all I like without ever accidentally changing modes.

drivie

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a NiteCore Defender Infinity and it sounds almost exactly like what you describe. Forward clicky, 2-modes (low mode is adjustable but you don't have to). Powered by 1xAA. Just twist the bezel to change modes.

Drivie

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I got the D10 and sold it immediately after because I hated the UI, and didn't like the way the switch felt. Much prefer a traditional forward click with one or two modes. K I S S.

nars42

Newly Enlightened
The L1T Q2 is a perfect light. I have two (mostly use them on my bike). Really like everything about it.

Latest posts