LD01 for non-flashaholic?

Alero

Enlightened
I got my dad an LOD Q4 last year for Christmas. But I read here that some users had alkaline batteries explode in them. So I told dad to only use lithiums or rechargeables. Well, he's still on the original lithium I gave him with it, even after 2 weeks to no power during hurricane Ike!

So, I need to get my boss a nice gift for Christmas. I would like to spend in the $40-$50 range and was thinking about the new Ld01 (or maybe an LOD Q4). He is an avid scout master and outdoor enthusiast, especially camping. But he isn't into lights at all. I've seen him admire my LOD R80 though :)

Anyway, will the LD01 really be fine on alkalines like they say, or is the current draw really too much and an accident waiting to happen?

Or, I could get him an E01 and something else to go with it. Any suggestions?

FYI he is giving me a pair of Bose QC3 headphones this year for Christmas and those are arounf 300 bucks! Good boss!

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of exploding alkalines, they can get very hot and leak acid when accidentaly recharged, but explode... rare. If he isnt a flashaholic please dont let him use li-ions, since these are not protected and need good maintenance to keep them alive. Nimh are almost fail-proof imo.

The E01 is not impressive enough to wow people as a gift, get the L0D SS instead. I gave my mom a E01 and she said "isnt this a fauxton?"

And again please dont buy the E01, not for giving it away.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Alero,
By all means get your boss the new Fenix LD01 and a package of Energizer Lithium e2 AAA batteries. The LD01 can use regular alkaline AAA batteries in a pinch, but he will get much better performance with the Energizer lithium cells.

I found the regular black version to be just the right size and weight to remain relatively unobtrusive on my key ring. A near perfect little light.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered 5 Fenix E01's from 4sevens.com to give away as Christmas gifts. I also made lanyards in the favorite colors of the gift recipients to go along with the E01's. New flashaholics may created out of this, I'm hoping.

Last edited:

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered 5 Fenix E01's from 4sevens.com to give away as Christmas gifts. I also made lanyards in the favorite colors of the gift recipients to go along with the E01's. New flashaholics may created out of this, I'm hoping.

Last edited:

gallagho

Enlightened
+1 "The E01 is not impressive enough to wow people as a gift"

It is a bit weak, I gave my sister a Tiablo A1 she's really pleased with it.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an LD01ss for my beloved one and a few P1D-Q5 (with a stripy finish, 20% off...) for other family members for christmas.

I don't see any interest in an E01, but they are surely much better than the Maglite Solitaire. My wife still has one in use, if you knock it against a table a few times, it even gets brighter... :shakehead

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see nothing wrong with giving an E01 as a gift; I've done it several times/ They're brighter than a MM, which is what most people would base lights that size off.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with the E01.

It does what it was designed to do extremely well (i.e. provide a small amount of light).

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't give an E01 to anybody but my worst enemy. Yes, it gives off a little light for a long time on a single AAA cell. But the light it gives off is disgustingly purple. For someone who is a flashaholic already and who has an appreciation of better LED lights and their quality (tint) possibilities, the E01 might still serve as an emergency long runtime backup on a keychain. However, for a friend who you know this will be their first LED flashlight exposure, I can't imagine this exciting them into wanting to buy more LED lights. They are probably thinking, yuck, if this is the best the LED technology can offer, I'd be better off with my old Maglight. On the other hand, the LOD or the LD01 is a gift anyone, flashaholic or newbee, will appreciate. I vote for the stainless LD01 myself.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I see nothing wrong with giving an E01 as a gift; I've done it several times/ They're brighter than a MM, which is what most people would base lights that size off.

Nothing wrong with the E01.

It does what it was designed to do extremely well (i.e. provide a small amount of light).

+1.

It'll be brighter, longer running, and better made than any keychain light they will find in any local store. Makes a great gift when you know that it will be the only light that person will ever carry, and you want to just KNOW it will work perfectly when they need it.

Alero

Enlightened
I still might get an LD01 for me, but for the boss, it's probably a choice between the E01 and LOD Q4. He's an avid camper/oudoorsman and would probably like the strobe/SOS anyway.

Last edited:

JCup

Newly Enlightened
If you order from 4sevens, he'll make any Fenix good, today or tomorrow. But the LODQ4 is a fine light, too and the advantage over the LD01 is not dramatic.

The EO1 is rugged, well made, and a bargain, plus it has the distinct advantage of having a low current draw that an alkaline AAA can sustain.

Either the LOD or LD01 will need to have NiMh batteries or Energizer lithiums, with the penalty being an alkaline will drop its voltage to a point it can't light the LED.

So your giftee needs to be prepared with a charger and NiMh or you need to get him Energizer L92's. They are great for this little light, ideal if you don't mind the $2.50 per battery price. They last like 15 years, and they have way more capacity (150% or more, IIRC).

But back to the point...

E01's will run the cheap alkalines just fine.

Your compromise for E01 is the low light level, but in the dark, it's pretty bright. I have all three of the AAA lights you are considering. They are all great in my opinion.

CPF tradition is that you should give him one of each. ;-) At Fenix prices, easier to afford.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I've never heard of exploding alkalines, they can get very hot and leak acid when accidentaly recharged, but explode... rare. If he isnt a flashaholic please dont let him use li-ions, since these are not protected and need good maintenance to keep them alive. Nimh are almost fail-proof imo.

The E01 is not impressive enough to wow people as a gift, get the L0D SS instead. I gave my mom a E01 and she said "isnt this a fauxton?"

I gave an E01 to my uncle for gift and he was impressed. He has the light on his person 24/7. Loves the long runtime on a cheap alkaline battery and thinks for a single AAA battery it puts off more than enough light for EDC. I just got in a LD20. Going to give it for a X-mas gift. Thinking he will like that too. Sure was impressed with my L2D Q5.