Maxabeam to the Rescue....

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Had a call tonight for a small boat in distress, Chesapeake Bay near the bridge tunnel. Guy's cellphone is dying, no lights, no engine...35', and 3-6 foot waves. Several fire and EMS units passed the spot where he said he was, about 1 mile east of the bridge. I was about 10 minutes behind them, went to the general area, pulled out the Maxabeam and narrowed the beam, and started sweeping. Another officer had his binoculars out and was looking, eventually seeing the light pass over the boat. We managed to keep the light on him until Coast Guard and our air unit got and followed the beam to the boat. Both occupants wet, cold and OK..Coast Guard towing him into Station Little Creek.

What a great light!!!!! Our air unit said could see the beam through his FLIR 10 miles out.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Fantastic story! Great thinking to go for the Maxabeam since the boat was in the general area. Great call on using the bino's to see beyond the range of the naked eye too.

Thanks for sharing that.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
see the beam through his FLIR 10 miles out

Just wanted to know what a FLIR is? inferred?

Was is through a binocular lens etc?

I wonder how far the beam could be seen from a visible stand point on human eyes?

Team Member

Enlightened
Great story!! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbsup:

Hopefully you will get more use of your Maxabeam and you maybe have inspiried someone else to get one. Maybe even your department will see the benefits of such a light.

Take care!!

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Police helicopters have similar tech on board as FLIR?

I was able to get the attention of one from shining my 10MCP around in the sky at night, the helicopter was 4-500m away.
Very unlikely that they saw the beam with there own eyes. It's just far to dim at that distance.

Team Member

Enlightened
FLIR is not as unusally as it has been. Even some cars has it today..

So my answer to your Q Flash, is most likely Yes..