NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Little communication for the past few weeks and the next few

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Default Little communication for the past few weeks and the next few

Back in the hospital.
    Two weeks ago my four year old daughter had a seizure, first time, so far only time. Lots of tests including a Spinal Tap. All seems fine. Two days and free of hospital, however concerns about another siezure and the lot really take a toll on us as a family. But we're OK.

Last week I go to ER with SEVERE pain. Kidney stone. LorTabs wipe me out, higher dose than I've had in past. However pain is tolerable, a few days later go to see Urologist. Make appointment for surgery, this Friday. Today, Wednesday. Get a call from Clinic. My daughter's culture on the CSF (spinal fluid) came back positive for Herpes Simplex. Not a good thing to have in CSF. So back to Duluth, an hour+ trip I didn't mention earlier.
    So I canceled my "surgery" laser hunt and shoot. Using Tylenol only rather than LorTab. But still we are quite out of sorts. 4 year old will be in hospital for 1 week on IV Anti-Viral. I hope I'll manage my pain and Thanksgiving goes well
    Anyhow checking in here, while still a priority, is much lower on my list. I have a couple PM's on CPFMP, that I won't be getting to. I WILL on occasion be answering emails Witsend.cpf@gmail.com is the best bet.
    Thanks to all for prayers--God Bless, Herb//Wits' End
    The dead batteries were given out free of charge

Default Re: Little communication for the past few weeks and the next few

Aww...sorry to hear about your daughter's and your sickness. I hope both you will get well soon. Good luck, hang on tight, and may you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Sorry to hear about the families health problems Herb, all my positive my thoughts are with you.
    All the best Norm

Wow sorry to hear Herb. Glad to see you are in good spirits. Keep your head up, everything will be ok .

Well here I am still w/ a kidney stone and a stint until the end of the month. Constant low-level, mind-numbing, pain and the "icepick" in the back when urinating. I should be fine by mid-January.
    My daughter is fine also, turned out the lab made an error. Nothing in culture. So 3 days in hospital with her for no real reason but at least she is well
    Please continue thinking of me, I'd like to be less grouchy

Merry Christmas all

Flashaholic*

Been there, done that - get some rest - drugs are your friend

holy crap how could a US hospital make a mistake like ... that?

Good to know you and your little girl are OK. Herpedic (sp?) virus are nothing to take lightly. I had shingles for ~2 weeks... oh lordy that crap knocked me OUT for the entire duration... fever, nausia, blistering all over half my body, body aches/pains throughout.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Herpes simplex in spinal tab AND seizures ... you can count yourself really lucky that the lab made an error. This error is a gift. Enjoy it for what it is.

Be strong !

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Awww Herb, sorry to hear this! What can I send you from Alaska to lighten up your days?
    -"Must control self"-

Quote Originally Posted by Sigman View Post
    Awww Herb, sorry to hear this! What can I send you from Alaska to lighten up your days?
    Can I send you a foot or two of snow?
    Just happy thoughts and prayers

Flashaholic

wow i just read this and my heart goes out to u and your daughter,, i defintely can relate i have a 4 year old daughter as well and one on the way ,, fortunately pretty much trouble free thank god,, i would really be upside down if something like this happened to my madi ,, glad you are gettting better and im glad she is to ,,

I WISH U AND YOURS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

madi05

Glad to hear things are gatter better for you and your family.

My little girl had a spinal tap aged 10 weeks old having been rushed to hospital Christmas 2006. I don't know much about medical stuff (hey I'm an engineer!) to say the least, as the Dr explained what and why they were going to do I asked if I should hold her for the Tap. "eeeer, no thanks" he said looking a bit uneasy. The nurse then took her away and another nurse explained how painful it was.

Enjoy Christmas and enjoy your family.

Default Change to: Kidney Stones?

Just realized I hadn't updated this with good news. I had a "procedure" on the 30th of Dec., all went well and the stone was removed. The Dr. hoped to not have to put in a new stent, however he did. Only for a week. For those that don't know a stent is a straw-like tube, in this case it goes in the tube (ureter?) between the kidney and bladder. So I went to the Urologist's office to have this removed . It was sort of nervous making with a capital E-E-K. No anesthetic and only one way to get to it. It wasn't too bad, I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may have this done in the future. A little numbing medication on the "point-of-insertion" then this 2 or 3 foot long tube (my wife observes, at the point the Doctor turns it on-"it's a flashlight"- of course that puts me at ease) with joints and angles goes in and up and though. It felt strange and a little pain but overall not near as bad as I had feared.
    I don't want a kidney stone to sound easy, far from it. With the stent in for the majority of the time I had the stone, 4 of 6 weeks, I complained more of the constant ache and brief sharp pains from it. I only had the one kidney stone 'attack' in mid-November, that was bad. I never had the agony of that again, until I saw the Doctor
    Looking for more input, are there those who have had a really bad time w/ them? I met parents of a woman who has had one every two years from age 18 to 40. Quite misserable but nothing seems to help.

Default Re: Change to: Kidney Stones?

Good to hear

There is an abundance of reasons for kidney stones, some can be cured, some not. A lot are metabolical.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.