hernia surgery...

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I just went through a double hernia surgery. Man it hurts like hell. Can't hardly move and am dependant on my wife 100%. Has anyone else had this done and can tell their experience? I am typing this on my iPod touch because it's to difficult to get to my pc.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I had a single hernia done back in March. The doctor put in what he called a pain ball. I had a tube running out from the bandages with about a 2" ball on the end. There is a pain killer under pressure that is delivered internally for about 3 or 4 days. Once it went flat I just pulled the tube out (slowly). I found it to be so effective that I didn't need to take any pain medication.

I don't know the normal recovery time but I went out for my first 2 mile run 3 weeks after the surgery. Stomach crunches took a little longer.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've had a single hernia repair - old style non arthroscopic version - and recovery is going to depend a bit on the severity of the hernia, your age and general condition. I hear about the arthroscopic repairs being up and moving easily in a few days - don't expect that with a full incision repair.

I was back at work after a week but I had a desk job and still worked a shorter day. The first two to three days were tough and you're going to be pretty stiff and sore for a week or two. It will be a few days before you're going to want to move around much and even then it was to get to the recliner and watch some DVDs. Expect a week before you're really moving around, able to drive, etc... At the time I played a lot of tennis and had to stay away from that for 2-3 months IIRC - but that is a sport where the twisting is particularly hard on a hernia.

Stay ahead of the pain by taking your meds when scheduled rather than when needed and take it easy - it does get better but in my case at least I thought it was rather slow going and frustrating. I was 33 when I had it done and in decent shape.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had this done in 2005. I was off work for a month even though I think I could have went back to work after 3 weeks but, with my job having some lifting and knowing that I would be payed even if I was out, I decided to be safe and stay out. I certainly would not want to do this again unless it is absolutley neccissary.

I hope you recover quickly. Just play some games and watch plenty of movies and you'll be fine. :)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a single hernia done back in March. The doctor put in what he called a pain ball. I had a tube running out from the bandages with about a 2" ball on the end. There is a pain killer under pressure that is delivered internally for about 3 or 4 days. Once it went flat I just pulled the tube out (slowly). I found it to be so effective that I didn't need to take any pain medication.

I don't know the normal recovery time but I went out for my first 2 mile run 3 weeks after the surgery. Stomach crunches took a little longer.

Awesome! I wish I would have had one of those. The first morning after pain meds I woke up and went to the restroom only to see the tunnel vision coming while leaning against the wall. I bounced around the bathroom and ended up on the bed somehow. Next thing I said was, "Honey".:shakehead

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an umbilical hernia repair done last year. It was orthroscopic surgery, incision is maybe 3/4 inch long. The sucker was painful before the repair, I would get home from work and just have to lay down for awhile. But the surgery was very quick, about 4 hrs in outpatient then home. I took one pain pill and never needed another. I think I missed a few days from work and haven't looked back. I had a small lump there but after about 9 months it went away. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, here's to a speedy recovery. I had more trouble with getting rid of the anesthetic than anything else.

dhwfd46

Newly Enlightened
Had a left inguinal and umbilical done at the same time on Tues 2 Sept. 08. I was a hurting pup, even with the pain ball. I had to be cut open, no scope here. The inguinial was recurrent (from 1984.) I was able to drive a little within 4-5 days. I was also going through a divorce, so I was on my own. Made for a good diet LOL.

Good Luck and hope you feel better soon.

Dave

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a left inguinal and umbilical done at the same time on Tues 2 Sept. 08. I was a hurting pup, even with the pain ball. I had to be cut open, no scope here. The inguinial was recurrent (from 1984.) I was able to drive a little within 4-5 days. I was also going through a divorce, so I was on my own. Made for a good diet LOL.

Good Luck and hope you feel better soon.

Dave
This is exactly the hernias I had done. One sore puppy here.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I for one had a double inguinal hernia surgery, and was walking around a couple hours later..not much pain that I remember at all..never did take all the vicodin they gave me.. :shrug:
what was really painful was the darn SHAVE some vicious nurse gave me while I was unconcious -- oooh boy that itched to the point of painful burning!
worst thing was the this sense of delicateness I carried around for a long time -- I was anxious about 'busting' the stitches open inside me, but I got over it eventually.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I had the double inguinal plus the umbilical done on Halloween day with the scope. It was all I could do to get up from the bed and the chair and sit down or lay down. Once I was up it wasn't quite as bad.
I couldn't wear anything but sweatpants or bib overalls for a week. Pants just dug in too much.
It gradually gets better and this past week and a half I haven't had any pain finally.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got to enjoy this a few years ago. I think I actually got a triple, two on one side and one on the other. The doc had warned me a couple years before I started to notice a lump. Never had pain before, and the surgery went very smoothly with almost no pain after. I was lucky that it was all done through the small incisions (arthroscopic?). Still no additional troubles, though the doc said I might still need umbilical hernia repair.

Geoff

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lower surgery was worse than the doctor thought. It was far larger than he anticipated. It was meshed on both sides and stitched also. Just that one alone took almost two hours. Now when I walk, it feels like razors cutting me between my leg and abdomen. Anybody else had this problem and does it go away? I called the nurse but she said this was normal. It's so painful I can hardly bear to walk. My upper surgery is doing great. No pain.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah I had that feeling, not quite as intense as razors, but I was definately feeling something on both sides in the area you describe; I called it 'a sensation in my seams' ;) -- it has been two years and the 'sensation' is gone..at the time the doctor's response was 'hernia surgery hasn't been perfected yet..'

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talked to the surgeon today and he prescribed a couple of meds for me that help pretty good. I can still feel the pain, but it's tolerable. He thinks it might be a suture.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Humor can be the best medicine. Locate a copy of Weird Al Yankovic's "Living with a Hernia," a funny spoof of James Brown's "Living in America." It's worth the effort.
:)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..so, I was in the doctor's examination room bent over wearing just that gown open in the back, and the nurse strides in carrying a can of beer --
"no no" says the doctor "I said a butt light."

and..hold...applause applause...thankyou.

Last edited: