Got a 120P coming in the mail....bezel?

pltan

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please enlighten a noob, on the uses/advantages of a bezel? Besides the obvious cosmetics and potential self-defense striking options?

And where should I get one? :D

BenjiBot

Enlightened
Doesn't really have any practical use (I don't think you would want to use it to hurt someone) but the ti bezel on my 120P looks nice and, er, shiny. It was made by CPF member RPM, use the search to find pics of the different styles he made and send him a PM if you're interested.

Here's a link: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211900

litetube

Enlightened
The bezel also protects that end of the light. On a Novatac the light is so short and the crenallations are not pointy and sharp so use as a self defense tool is arguable.
You might want to wait until you actually get the 120p before you go and buy another custom bezel. Many are locked down extremely well with loctite by Novatac. It's a crap shoot whether it will come off easily or VERY hard . In some cases people tried all the techniques and couldnt get it to budge. Resorting to boiling the head in water then freezing which kinda cares me , has been tried successfully for real stubborn ones. One of tha main problems is there is not enough materil to "grab on to" if you try to use strap wrenches and such. Though many just use a mouse pad and it twists right off though it seems Novatac is becoming very consistent with securing them with the Loctite.
If youo do get if off go with RPM bezel rings. They are THE BEST workmanship out there. many styles to choose from and 2 materials SS and Ti

pltan

Newly Enlightened
Eh? So I might not be able to get a custom bezel cos I can't screw the top off? :drool:

Thanks I'll take a look at RPM.

How do these bezels effect the light beam? :p

Can you feel the bezels in your pocket?

BenjiBot

Enlightened
Been carrying the 120P with RPM bezel in my front jeans pocket for about a year, and no problems with tearing the material up. You can feel the bezel but it hasn't done any damage

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten the bezels off quite easily, not only on my Novatacs but also on my EX10's. Remove the front end of the light from the battery compartment. (For some reason, I haven't figured out whey this step is extremely important.). Press the bezel into a rubber soled tennis shoe (I actually use a shoe from Payless that claims it has oil slip resistant soles). As you press inward firmly, unscrew. It really doesn't take much effort. I have talked to Novatac, and that's how they do it when they have to service a light.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bezels are practical in four ways:IMO

1.They can in emergencies be used as a glass breaker.

2.can be used as kubaton against an attacker,though I don't think of using by best light on some ones face, as the light may get dirty :laughing:

3.A bezel with trits inserted
look nice and act as a good locator,to help find your light in the dark.

4.Best of all it allows for protecting the lens and head :twothumbs

pltan

Newly Enlightened
3.A bezel with trits inserted
look nice and act as a good locator,to help find your light in the dark.

Ohhhh.....this sounds pretty interesting! I'll now go see where I can find one and how much it'll cost...

litetube

Enlightened
True some NT bezels do come off very easy. Particularly the early first runs when they initally came out. But as a general practice Novatac uses RED loctite on them not the Blue . Though red is classified by some as 'permanant" it can be cracked with effort as in boiling the head then freezing it etc.
I had one a few months ago , took it out,played with it abit and suddenly saw red liquid on my hand. Thought I had cut myself at first but soon realized it was coming from the bezel ring where it mates with the head. I ran a sheet of paper along the crack and sopped up the rest all the way around. That bezel would not budge. I dont have the fortitude of some on here to go at it with wrenches and boiling/freezing so after the mouspad and shoe trick didnt work I gave up. Had 1 other one that had the same red loctite and then an original 120p that came off easy as butter.

Some also say to loosen up the LE pill inside the head to relieve the pressure on the reflector/glass/bezel. Once again there is a retaining ring in there than you can get snapring pliers on and on the earlier runs it would unscrew fairly easy and allow the LE to come out but on later models it seems as if they also use some form of thread lock on that ring to prevent it from loosening also .

Just wanted to give a heads up on what you might encounter . It is worth trying so as to be able to use RPM bezels , they are fantastic!! But have a game plan in mind when you go at it.

Latest posts