Changes of Spending Pattern Through Time

Centropolis

Enlightened
I noticed my purchasing decisions have changed quite a bit in the last few months. I want to share this with you all and see if some of you have "walked the same path".

I started being a flashaholic in March of this year and have spent quite a lot of money (my standard) on various lights. In the beginning, I was visiting DX regularly to see what I can pick up for $15 - $20 and was initially quite satisfied with a Romisen RC-G2 and a Ultrafire C3. Eventually, I bought a G2L and a 6PL not too long after just to say I own Surefires.

And for a month or so, I was quite satisfied....until one day my Ultrafire didn't turn on after I dropped it on carpet while sitting on my 2 feet high sofa. I realized that there is no way that I will depend on a flashlight that wouldn't turn on after one drop. Luckily I had the SFs but the single-mode G2L and 6PL just were not versatile enough.

Then after a couple of months, I ventured into the world of "expensive" chinese made flashlights. I bought a Fenix L2D Q5, LOD Q4 and an Olight T10. These are great lights at good affordable price range. Personally, I have never had one of these failed on me but reading the forum, you'll find there are still issues with the qc and reliability of these $50 to $70 flashlights. On camping and hiking trips, I wouldn't just take one of these and rely on them if I know I won't be home for a few days.

Three months ago, I finally spent the 'big bucks' on a used Novatac 120P. I love this thing! You can feel why it's a over-$100 flashlight.

It is then I regretted that why didn't I just save all the money I spent on Romisens, Ultrafires, Fenix and just get Surefires and Novatacs. I didn't need 5 sub$20 flashlights when I can have one Novatac. So from that point onwards, I told myself that I would never settle for any 'cheap' flashlights.

Don't get me wrong, NiteCores, Fenixs, Romisens have there purpose and place, but as a flashaholic and serious hiker/camper, reliability is important and the lesson learned here is that if you have the disposable income to get into this hobby, START RIGHT! I learned that if I started buying quality from the very beginning, then no money is 'wasted' on flashlights and you won't carry on trips because you think they'll fail on you in the middle of a 15km hike.

I am not saying that Surefires don't fail...but if you're a new flashaholic....it is important to know what you'll settle for. I love my NiteCore EX10 and Liteflux LF2X but I still wouldn't carry it by itself on an overnight trip somewhere outdoors. Some people may argue never carry just ONE no matter what you have! :)

BTW, the intent of this is NOT to compare reliability of Surefires VS. others.....but to talk about how your spending pattern changes as time passes a flashaholic.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL .... very similar to my addiction :D
Always liked flashlights .... the "lesser" makes.
Then I found DX and brought 3 lights from them and after lurking around
their forum found CPF :party:
From there had a very brief affair with Nitecore and Zebralight but at the
sametime grabbed a couple of Surefires and Novatacs.
Had another brief affair but with Alephs but that did not last long :D
Now I am lusting after Milkys and Custom Mags.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy quality cry once. Buy junk cry often.

I use an Olight t-10 also. It is my daily carry light when I am up and about. It's not a big deal for me if it malfunctions because I don't use it for anything serious. Like you I am a camper/hiker. When I do these type of activities I use the quality lights(Surefire,Inova,etc).Night hiking isn't the time to have one of your lights fail on you.I also carry 2 lights.When camping /hiking anything that I positively need I have 2 of.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I started because I was left in the dark in the attic, due to a cheap flashlight.

My first lights where some Fenix light, but when I got them, I did not stop buying lights and now has a pile of light:

DSC_2918a.jpg

1dash1

Enlightened
I think of this hobby as an evolutionary process. In the absence of knowledge, a single mode Maglite satisfies our need. As we are exposed to alternatives, we try them. In the process of trying them, we discover nuances that we were never aware of.

IMO, the process would be the same whether one started with Surefires or whether one started with Trustfires. It takes an awful lot of trial-and-error experimentation to find out what lights best suit both one's needs and one's personality.

In some ways, the hunt for the perfect light is like searching for the Holy Grail. Ultimately, it is a voyage of self-discovery.

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
randomly come across article about SF UB2 Invictus on internet ->
link to CPF ->
do a little bit of reading/research ->
try to figure out why someone would pay $500+ for a McGizmo (?? who's that ??) ->
do a little bit more reading/research ->
buy a McGizmo ->
buy another McGizmo ->
buy another McGizmo ->
buy ANOTHER McGizmo ->
buy a Mac's Custom ->
become broke in the process ->
can't stop browsing CPF :hairpull:

That's how it happened to me anyway.:crazy:
:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't have any clear-distinct cutoff between light "class" purchases. If theres a good deal floating around I'll snag it... be it $10 or $200.

My fave brands thus far are Romisen, Nuwai and Inova in the ~$25 range. I try and avoid clone-fire brands although I do have one that my son uses. Surefire represents the over $60 higher end. I have managed to skip over the higher priced Chinese lights, although that 280lumen eagletac keeps tugging at my wallet, at $45 the Fenix T1 is a screaming deal, and the new multi-die lights at DX are very tempting.

The problem is a good (no great) one to have... too many lights to pick from, with screaming good deals at every price point:thumbsup:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not much has changed over the years. I still have trouble resisting the odd or unique LED item in the under $10 "junk" class, but I'm learning to discriminate. Still try to limit any one light purchase to less than $60, and no more often than 4 or 5 times a year. I think I'll have to raise the limits very soon. The better lights, like the SF L1 I received as a gift, have a serious appeal, but I seem to have just as much fun staying in the minor leagues.

Geoff

bigfoot

Enlightened
I've tried to stick with USA-made lights that fill a certain need for me. The side effects of that: Build quality tends to be great but individual lights are more expensive. So I don't have a ton of lights, but hopefully they will last a long, long time.

Chadder

Enlightened
My wife is always asking why I still have to go to the flashlight isle at walmart or target when I'm not going to buy anything. I keep telling her that maybe someday they will carry SF lights.:crackup:Until then I will walk away. I don't even remember the last time I went to DX site. Of course this does not mean that I am spending any less money!!

sappyg

Enlightened
1st real light was a SF g2 (got lucky there).
1st changethe a p2d because i could carry it better.
2nd change added more SF's and got caught up in more and more lumens thinking outrageous light was the answer. buy more SF's
3rd change evolved to RCR batts.... more LA's and drop ins. buy more SF's
4th change realized that you can only hot rod a light just so far and bought LA's and drop ins that were more "realistic".. buy another SF
5th change presently searching old posts for just the right aaa flashlight. since SF does'nt make one it has become an labor intensive task:)

learned early on that affordable quality was biggest concern for me. i don't think i can see myself stepping up to the quality of a 120p though because it's a little ouside of my affordability range. i have only spent over $100.00 on a light once. sadly, it is my least appreciated light. i guess you caould say that the biggest change in spending pattern through time is that i have become more educated.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started because I was left in the dark in the attic, due to a cheap flashlight.

My first lights where some Fenix light, but when I got them, I did not stop buying lights and now has a pile of light:

DSC_2918a.jpg
how much $ are we looking at?

Centropolis

Enlightened
LOL .... very similar to my addiction :D
Always liked flashlights .... the "lesser" makes.
Then I found DX and brought 3 lights from them and after lurking around
their forum found CPF :party:
From there had a very brief affair with Nitecore and Zebralight but at the
sametime grabbed a couple of Surefires and Novatacs.
Had another brief affair but with Alephs but that did not last long :D
Now I am lusting after Milkys and Custom Mags.

Yeah, I am not sure if I ever able to afford some serious Milky mods. I think I've just about reached my maximum cutoff price point!

Well, maybe when the Optimus finally comes out......I will break that cutoff line. :)

Centropolis

Enlightened

DSC_2918a.jpg

Just wondering....do you keep them like this all the time? Or is this just for the picture?

Centropolis

Enlightened
My wife is always asking why I still have to go to the flashlight isle at walmart or target when I'm not going to buy anything. I keep telling her that maybe someday they will carry SF lights.:crackup:Until then I will walk away. I don't even remember the last time I went to DX site. Of course this does not mean that I am spending any less money!!

DX lights are still my choice for buying flashlights for friends. Not ready to buy a nice SF for a friend yet. For them, a really bright Romisen RC-F4 is like heaven.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I think of this hobby as an evolutionary process. In the absence of knowledge, a single mode Maglite satisfies our need. As we are exposed to alternatives, we try them. In the process of trying them, we discover nuances that we were never aware of.

IMO, the process would be the same whether one started with Surefires or whether one started with Trustfires. It takes an awful lot of trial-and-error experimentation to find out what lights best suit both one's needs and one's personality.

In some ways, the hunt for the perfect light is like searching for the Holy Grail. Ultimately, it is a voyage of self-discovery.

Desire+time+increased knowledge minus lessons learned divided by need while negating want. Actually, I think that you said it better.

HKJ

Flashaholic
how much $ are we looking at?

Thousands, since I have started I have been buying lights nearly each week. Sometimes waiting for ten lights at a time, but that is because delivery times usual are between a week and a month. Just now I am only waiting for 3 lights.

Just wondering....do you keep them like this all the time? Or is this just for the picture?

That was just for the picture, maglite's (and a few other) get scratched if placed close to other lights. But with HA lights I am not that careful, the do sometimes stay in small piles.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
you're right. my first real purchase was a Surefire E2 (satin grey, to save me some bucks). throw, runtime, brightness okay but nothing to write home about. but it feels good and is built well.
Then I bought Laser Devices Operator Op6 incan. it felt solid and good, so I bought an OP9 LED. both have the toggle switches which feel solid.
Then I acquied Pentagonlights (L3 and L2, both LED). again, they work well and feel solid.
I then bought a Fenix P1D-CE, and the functionality is good, and fit and finish are okay, but it doesn't feel like the others.

putting most of your bucks in one or two good high end lights has one drawback- you got less toys, which is okay if you're more of a functional guy.

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Still the same I guess,....
After CPF:
1. SF L2
2. SF L1
3. Fenix P2D
4. SF M6-CB
5. SF G3
6. Nitecore D10
7. SF A2-RD
8. SF 6P
9. Fenix E01 (4 pcs. for the kids)

Hmmm. starting to see a pattern here..
Guess the next ones will be SF C2(or C3) and an E2D...

:)

balou

Enlightened

It is then I regretted that why didn't I just save all the money I spent on Romisens, Ultrafires, Fenix and just get Surefires and Novatacs. I didn't need 5 sub$20 flashlights when I can have one Novatac. So from that point onwards, I told myself that I would never settle for any 'cheap' flashlights.

I first wanted to buy an 'expensive' $25 dx light. still don't know if it's a good idea to spend more on a first light (excluding those awful sub-$10 lights). either you're all madmen, or you're all right ;)
but yeah, 'you get what you pay for'.

Don't get me wrong, NiteCores, Fenixs, Romisens have there purpose and place, but as a flashaholic and serious hiker/camper, reliability is important and the lesson learned here is that if you have the disposable income to get into this hobby...
IF.... by income, do you mean the pittance my father gives me every month to live in a small dorm room? (while leading an expensive live with his new gf).
sorry, don't want to clutter the thread with my financial situation - my point is:
No, I don't walk the same path as you. My strategy is to experiment as little as possible by reading as much as possible, weighing in the quality of different products and their price.
Which currently brings me to Nitecore/Fenix lights. DX just doesn't seem worth the gamble - I want a solid performer as my first light (no not as in lumen, as in good middle class, reasonable build quality etc).
I'm also not going to explore caves anytime soon, so I don't need a flashlight on which I can depend my life on. If my flashlight fails during the 1h walk home at 2 o'clock in the night, I could probably use my cellphone led light, or just walk by the starlight, trying to following the road (no, taxi is not an option. that'll cost as much as a d10. every time.)
(edit: conclusion: I want to cut the experimenting phase alltogether, and settle directly for a light that is no cheapy but also does not tear to big a hole in my wallet)

oh and HKJ:
quite frankly, that pile seems to be a huge waste of money. generally, there seem to be two options at buying/planning/fixing things: 1. throw money at it 2. research first.
sorry to be so direct. guess I'm just seeing all the better quality food I could've had with the money spent on the pile.

now I wonder how I'll see things a few years later when I have my master degree... (edit: and an income)

Last edited: