Advice on buying a "folding bicycle"?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advice on buying a \"folding bicycle\"?

I'm several years overdue on getting some decent outdoor exercise. Am considering a bicycle; but it must EASILY fold and unfold so that I can drive it to a safe place to ride it. What reserach I have done so far - is difficult to find the features I want. Adult size and weight capacity. Adjustable seat height. Comfortable seat. Fenders. Some sort of cargo capacity. And of course; multiple "hardpoints" for mounting illumination hardware. I'm planning to start on simple, level trails - do not expect to need more than three speeds. Any specific suggestions for bike - or links to decent websites?
TIA
Stainless

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
Re: Advice on buying a \"folding bicycle\"?

Go over to the Dahon WEB site. I own a Dahon Speed P8 and I've ridden different Dahon models quite a few times and I've always been impressed by the effort they make to build in good quality. I've never had an issue with the build quality. I throw the P8 in the back of the car when I don't know if I'll need a bike or not. I always take it on vacation unless I know I'll need my road bike.

I go on bike tours (supported) several time a year and Dahon shows up with the vendor displays from time to time. I took Helios P8 ($499.00) model on a 55 mile ride and found it worked out pretty good although I wasn't used to using a flat handle bar for such long rides. I'd really like to get a ride on the new Helios XX - 16.9 lbs - my normal ride is a Trek 5200 carbon road bike but the Helios XX weights even less!.

Good bikes - well built by a good company.

Dahon Home Page

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: Advice on buying a

As you all know by now, I was really hot on the folding bike thing a while back. And we all learned lots of stuff in that thread. Great info there for anybody who's interested. You know what I finally ended up realizing though? That simply removing BOTH wheels and dropping the seat makes any bike pretty damn small. I'm not toting mine on an airplane - I just wanted to stuff it into the trunk. And before you all think I'm an idiot for not just doing this earlier - I should mention that my Phil Wood hubs were both bolt-on, so it was a PITA to remove the wheels. I had the hubs rebuilt, and switched over to quick-release. Easier than folding a bike now!

My folding bike story is a long, sordid one. But the digest version is: I'm using my same old bike and removing the wheels; couldn't be happier.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened

Your right Darell, you can do quite well with just pulling the wheels if that works for you. The biggest advantage of the Dahon is that it folds in about 30 secondes then I slide it into a carry bag and zip it up. In the trunk or back of my van it's isolated and I don't worry about chain grease getting on the seats, carpet or clothes. It also takes up quite a bit less room. It's almost always in the car even if I don't have any thought of riding.

A folder shoudn't be your first bike though, unless riding needs are light. Not that a folder isn't strong, it is, it's just that they really can't compare with a well tuned full size bike. For a travel or second bike though, it's just the ticket.

I have a Trek 5200 road bike and a full size mountain bike and I use them a lot, but the Dahon is a great addition. I bought it on the spur of the moment, not really knowing what I was going to do with it but find I use it a lot more than I ever thought. Weekend trips, day trips to various places, I pop out the folder and I'm off, it's just right for the job and it extends my day by letting me cover much more ground.

The utility of having a bike in my trunk all the time is just too great to ever give up. If I didn't have the Dahon stuck in the trunk, then I wouldn't have a bike with me many times when I just didn't anticipate the need. I didn't purchase it with that in mind, but it's worked out great.

Al

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

DarkStar: Thanks for the common sense heads up reminder:

"Always try the bike before you order on the web - I tried many folding bikes before I found one I liked. Even if the bike looks great and has a good price - if you don't like how it handles you will not use it."

Al Havemann:
I am considering a Dahon... is there a significant disadvantage to useing "small" 20 inch wheels? (FOR OCCASIONAL EXERCISE USE.)

Al_Havemann

Enlightened

Stainless:

The only real disadvantage is that it's harder to get tires and tubes, not real hard, just harder than regular parts so you need to have a couple of spare tubes and a spare tire around just in case. I mail order and get them in a couple of days, so it's no biggie, just something to keep in mind.

Al

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Al:
Thanks. I was concerned that the ride might be less smooth, or that it would require noticeably more peddeling - at least with the one speed model.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Al, just looked up your bike...damn nice! I have a Trek 7500 for my hybrid with some upgrades. I have a now ten plus year old Univega "Carbolite" 7.2 for my roadbike, also upgraded to an extent. The bike was sorta revolutionary at the time as it offered a carbon fiber frame along with Shimano 105 components for not much over a grand.

Are today's carbon fiber frames that much better? I do at times wish I had a triple ring on the bike which is why I ride my hybrid probably more so now.

Sorry to get off topic...The folding bikes look cool and had I still have a sedan as opposed to a wagon car, I would give one strong consideration.