Cree MC-E: where and when?

meuge

Enlightened
It's been a little while since I visited the board, and the last time I was here, everyone was looking forward to the Cree quad-core. Did these LEDs ever make it into any lights? If not, what's the current timeline?

Thanks in advance...

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX and KD have quite a few of them, as well as SSC's quad-core, the P7, but they seem to fall short of their potential output.

Wolf Eyes is releasing a MC-Sniper in a matter of days. Although it is rated fairly low for a MC-E, I don't doubt that it will be brighter than the MC-E's on DX and KD (as was true for their P7-Sniper).

Other companies have plans but no products. Tiablo is developing the A10 for the MC-E. Neoseikan is developing the larger Legion II, which uses the P7 but can still achieve the throw associated with either a MC-E or very focused XR-E.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes is releasing a MC-Sniper in a matter of days. Although it is rated fairly low for a MC-E, I don't doubt that it will be brighter than the MC-E's on DX and KD (as was true for their P7-Sniper).

Why do you say it's low? We don't know how many amps the emitters are seeing yet, plus it's a 6A tint and those always have way way way nicer tint with the drawback of a bit less lumens.

clintb

Enlightened
Dereelight has just put a 3SM MC-E pill for the DBS v2, but stipulate it needs to be used with the OP reflector.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you say it's low? We don't know how many amps the emitters are seeing yet, plus it's a 6A tint and those always have way way way nicer tint with the drawback of a bit less lumens.

I didn't say its output is low. I said it is rated low, meaning in comparison to the DX and KD lights I mentioned, which are rated around 900 lumens.

I hadn't known about plans for a MC-E DBS. Although I don't know much about it yet, that's my current first choice for its Dereelight quality, and a lower price (vs WE).

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a DBS MC-E pill. We'll see what it does. :) I think it may work in the CL1H, but the beam may not be very good.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a DBS MC-E pill. We'll see what it does. :) I think it may work in the CL1H, but the beam may not be very good.

Your assumptions are correct. :) Dereelight is working on a new reflector for the CL1H that will work with the MC-E.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Dereelight has just put a 3SM MC-E pill for the DBS v2, but stipulate it needs to be used with the OP reflector.

:huh: !

Hey FlashCrazy, any runtime estimate for the MC-E pill? Also, I see it's recommended to use 2 x 18650, is that mandatory or just suggested?

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh: !

Hey FlashCrazy, any runtime estimate for the MC-E pill? Also, I see it's recommended to use 2 x 18650, is that mandatory or just suggested?

Hey there, mechBgon. I don't have any runtime numbers yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say about 1:15 on 2 x 18650. You can use a single 18650, but runtime will of course be less...probably around 45 minutes. Again, these are guesses... I won't know until I get these into my impatiently waiting hands. :candle:

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Soooo someone fill me in, wasnt everyone and their grandmamma dissing quad die leds because they couldnt throw light well? when did that change

mechBgon

Enlightened
Hey there, mechBgon. I don't have any runtime numbers yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say about 1:15 on 2 x 18650. You can use a single 18650, but runtime will of course be less...probably around 45 minutes. Again, these are guesses... I won't know until I get these into my impatiently waiting hands. :candle:

Thanks, and one more question: any word on a 1-stage version? For my purposes, 1-stage is best.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
MC-E can be wired in 4s, 2s2p, 1s3s, 4p, etc; the dies are individually addressable

P7 is forced 4p wiring. And BIG.

Apart from that, not much.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
P7 has controlled Vf and is easier to focus (4 dies and very small lens means weird beam).