How many lights for cave exploring?

Gandalf

Enlightened
Something I've been wondering about: just how many lights does an *experienced* cave explorer carry? I carry 3 or 4 as EDC lights; if I were going to be someplace where my life might depend on my light(s) I'd probably be carrying about 6 or 8, with tons of extra batteries.

Just guessing here, but the minimum would be a good headlight, another light with good reach, and then an 'emergency' light with a long runtime, like a turquoise CMG Infinity. But I have no idea how many extra batteries would be considered 'minimum', and if my educated guess is realistic or not...

BTW, I'm not claustrophobic, or afraid of the dark, but the idea of cave exploring *really* doesn't appeal to me at all; /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif but then, I'm well into middle age... back when I was 20 or so, I'd do just about *anything*, once... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
When he went caving in SoCal and in Australia, my cousin was told to bring a headlamp to free his arms up and to have 2 extra lights on himself, with perferably one light being small enough to put into a first aid kit... I think he packed enough batteries to last 3 or 4 days in the dark (he only had AAs), and I gave him an Infinity Ultra...

zmoz

Enlightened
Last time I went caving was before I found candle power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I took ONE light, which was a cheap nicd rechargeable. GUESS WHAT? Those don't burn very long! Got about a mile deep into the cave in rough terrain...had to feel my way out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

papasan

Enlightened
the minimum recommended is 3 lights, at least 2 of which can be mounted on your helmet (after light a helmet is the most important piece of caving gear) and enough batteries for 24 hours. most experienced cavers i know generally have 6 including at least 1 that is attached to your body (via necklace or whatnot) and 1 or 2 glow sticks just in case. the third most important thing is a trash bag stuffed into your helmet to use as a vapor barrier in case you have to sit in one spot for awhile.

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
papasan is right. atlaest 3 lights. I recomend one that is like the petzl tikka with about 100hrs of light (although not very bright). Also, make sure to tell someone where you are going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I always imagine cavers using carbide lanterns. Which makes me wonder: is there always enough air circulation in caves to keep those things supplied with oxygen?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out www.caves.org And while you're there there seems to be a forum where you can ask the question of those more knowledgable.

My first caving experience was with a 2D grociery store light. Cheap batteries, cheap bulb. It lasted until just 2 minutes before we reached the door... Oops! I've said to much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
Some cavers use carbide lanterns mounted on their helmets. I have never liked them much because the smell gives me a headache, and I never thought that was a good thing. But they do light up a room well. And they cook bats really well.

papasan

Enlightened
alot of the 'old school' cavers still use carbide. the smell isn't too awful, but packing out the spent carbide is a pain in the butt (take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time). in a pinch they'll keep you warm tho. hypothermia is a main concern in caves.

www.caves.org is a nice website, NSS owned and operated.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I have a friend who may be a budding flashaholic, and he is a regular Vertical Caver. His groups rule is three lights on at all times, since a light may fail when you can't change it. In pitch dark, any light is a Godsend, so he described what sounded like CMG Infintys securely bolted and taped to helmets and gear. He personally likes a long-throw light to investigate routes without having to climb over there and back. Most of his caving trips are <3 days in the cave.

He also has carbide lanterns, but as decorative mantlepieces /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Somehow I thought cavers like monstrous long-throw wide-area lights so they could see far and wide into the cave. I mean carbide lanterns, Lupine HID headlamps, extreme stuff like that.

If something like an Infinity is really enough, then I'd go for a small LED headlamp like a PT Aurora or maybe a bigger one like an Elektrolumens Elektro-star; plus a UKE SL6 for long throw, fairly long runtime, and moderate cost; plus various small pocket lights. Caves.org says to bring three lights two of which can be helmet mounted, so I guess the Aurora plus the Elektro-Star would take care of that.

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
paulr,
Those are great back-up lights, but most cavers do like extremely bright and long throw lights. I.E. 15-30 LED's with a halogen bulb. Soon many will use 5w LS IMHO.
Jason