Focusable LED flashlights

pulstar

Enlightened
Hi all!
I tried to find some brands of LED flashlights that can be focused but i found Is there any other factories that make focusable lights?

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
Either a Mag with dropin or a Fenix E20... maybe also a few others, but this was just what came to my mind..

Art

Enlightened
Led Lenser?

Is by focusable you meen something with the capability of having a nice throw and a nice flood I think the LL are the best.

Regards,

andytheboa

Newly Enlightened
You can also look at target for the River rock 2XAA nightfire, it has an adjustable/focusable beam.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The upcoming Surefire UA2 Optimus, expensive but focusable.

"The SureFire Optimus is everything every flashlight has aspired to be but has always fallen short of achieving—until now. Never before has a single illumination tool offered a user so much functionality"

Well that's not true because it is incapable of doing what my Bigbeam Ultra Mod can do:devil:. Because it can't: be recharged by the sun, jump start a car, swivel it's head, run on auxiliary, run on emergency auxiliary, give you 625 lumens, or last 178 hours with 15 lumens, double as a boat anchor, not blow away under 100+ mph winds, have a reverse flashing / solid red light, survive EMPs, and have fuses to stop short circuits, and lastly give you jacked arms after using for a week:faint:. Well I'll admit it can't be focused:oops:;):crackup:.

pulstar

Enlightened
Ok, so there's not quite a big choice so i'll make my criteria a little bit tighter:) My girlfriend asked me what do i want(actually she asked me which light:poof::laughing::D:D:devil::D do i want) for holiday present. I was completelly shocked but soon started to look around for some little bright *******s:) I would like to have a small- sized LED torch, preferably with 1 or maybe two AA cells, optionally with adjustable focus. I currently use a LED lenser P5 but i'm looking forward having a little bit stronger light. But in the same breath, i must admitt, it's focusing system is absolutly great! Waht lights do u suggest? I was thinking about a MiniMag 2AA with 100 lumed terralux upgrade, since the torch is so cheap here in slovenia? Are there better alternatives for about 50$ in USA shops or 50€ in Europe? Another wish is a LED lenser p7 with 170 lumens (unregulated) which is 70€ in local stores and quite unreachable. Any suggestions, advices, and links are highly welcomed!
Have a nice day, and don't bother about that stupid "CIA report" I believe and hope that american and westerner power and light will rise again and outshine all tirany and dispare

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so there's not quite a big choice so i'll make my criteria a little bit tighter:) My girlfriend asked me what do i want(actually she asked me which light:poof::laughing::D:D:devil::D do i want) for holiday present. I was completelly shocked but soon started to look around for some little bright *******s:) I would like to have a small- sized LED torch, preferably with 1 or maybe two AA cells, optionally with adjustable focus. I currently use a LED lenser P5 but i'm looking forward having a little bit stronger light. But in the same breath, i must admitt, it's focusing system is absolutly great! Waht lights do u suggest? I was thinking about a MiniMag 2AA with 100 lumed terralux upgrade, since the torch is so cheap here in slovenia? Are there better alternatives for about 50$ in USA shops or 50€ in Europe? Another wish is a LED lenser p7 with 170 lumens (unregulated) which is 70€ in local stores and quite unreachable. Any suggestions, advices, and links are highly welcomed!

The Terralux drop-ins are a freaking joke! You will get no where near 100 lumens from one of those, and the heat sinking is laughable. There's a reason that no knowledgeable CPFer's have bought them since 2005.

The only quality AA light that focuses is the Fenix E20. It's right around 100 lumens I would imagine and seems to have a pretty decent focusing feature. There is a slight donut when it's defocused all the way, but other than that it seems to function rather well. The regulation is freaking awesome on all types of cells, and the runtime is good as well. I'm actually thinking about buying one for myself for my nightly outdoor dog duty.

The LED Lensers have the best focusing feature of any light on the market, but they all run direct drive and use multiple AAA/AA cells. They are also quite a bit more expensive than they should be in my opinion. I was considering buying a P14, but I couldn't justify spending nearly $100 on a single stage light that has zero regulation.

There are several stores that offer free worldwide shipping. Fenix-store.com is one of them and they also a code for 8% off (CPF8). This means that the E20 would cost you $34.96 shipping included.

Hope this helped :grin2:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED Lensers have the best focusing feature of any light on the market, but they all run direct drive and use multiple AAA/AA cells. They are also quite a bit more expensive than they should be in my opinion. I was considering buying a P14, but I couldn't justify spending nearly $100 on a single stage light that has zero regulation.

It's not single stage!!! P14 has 2,5 modes :)D). Low (15%), high (100% - 130 lumens) and momentary turbo (130% - 170lm). Zero regulation means there's no circuit board and brightness drops gradually. I agree, there's no special circuit but runtime graph is quite flat (that's the nature of Ni-MH and lithium batteries). No driver may be an advantage - nothing to fry/broke!

There's one more focusable LED light but it's quite expensive - Wolf-Eyes FOX.

Fenix E20 is focusable indeed but on flood focus beam is ugly.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The JetBeam Jet II IBS also has a focus mechanism - it's a 1x123 light so it doesn't meet your battery criteria, but at 225 lumens (250 on li-ion) it's the only focusable light brighter than the Lenser.

The focus head works extremely well on the Jet since the large reflector is biased for throw. Rather than focusing from a fully-tightened "normal" to a looser "wide" as on other focus lights, the Jet has a powerfully narrow beam at the tightest setting, so there's a broad range of beam types you can select from.

Plus it's fully regulated, has three user-settable modes with infinite brightness control, and it's less than $70 :thumbsup:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. It has 225lm on Li-Ion as well.
2. It has donut hole at wide beam.
3. It's discontinued.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
1. It has 225lm on Li-Ion as well.

It has 225 lumens with a primary, and is 11% brighter (by testing numbers) on li-ions; 225 + 11% = 250 lumens.

2. It has donut hole at wide beam.

The focus mechanism and LED used in most of these lights is exactly the same, so the results will be the same, with only a modest variation in what distances a donut hole appears.

3. It's discontinued.

In stock now at the official US distributor, BugOutGearUSA: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiiibs.html

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not so simple. It has 225lm with Li-Ion like in Jet-I and Jet-III. So it's 11% more than on primaries.
The focus mechanism and LED used in most of these lights is exactly the same, so the results will be the same, with only a modest variation in what distances a donut hole appears.

There's only a few focusable LED flashlights. WE Fox and LedLEnsers don't have any hole at any focus.

BugOut has remains from first and the only batch...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not single stage!!! P14 has 2,5 modes :)D). Low (15%), high (100% - 130 lumens) and momentary turbo (130% - 170lm). Zero regulation means there's no circuit board and brightness drops gradually. I agree, there's no special circuit but runtime graph is quite flat (that's the nature of Ni-MH and lithium batteries). No driver may be an advantage - nothing to fry/broke!

Fenix E20 is focusable indeed but on flood focus beam is ugly.

Oh yeah, I don't know why I put that in the end. Brain fart I guess. It does use simple resistors for the low and high mode though, which aren't very efficient.
Coast also only recommends the use of Alkaline cells in the P7. I'm not sure about the P14 so I can only guess.
If only the P7 and P14 were priced more reasonably. I will say though that the P14 for under $75 at Fry's isn't too bad.

I still think the E20 is the best choice for the thread creator.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight or Maglite recommend alkalines as well...
Small resistors are quite efficient. P7 runs over 12 hours on low mode with no noticeable dimming. LedLensers are expensive because of sophisticated collimating lenses.
E20 is nice because it's cheap, no special advantages.

Streak

Enlightened
We just bought a bunch of the units as in my avatar.

110 lumen output.
Spot to flood (1-4x) focusable head.
Single AA
Proper forward clickie switch.

Latest posts