Novatac OR RA Clicky..What would you have?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
There both similar...
If you could have one, Which would it be and Why?

The quality of Ra-Clicky hardware and software is far superior to the NovaTac. It is well worth the extra money.

Conversely, a NovaTac is cheaper and can be had without back-ordering and waiting.

Personally, I would order the Clicky and play the waiting game. Waiting may not be fun, but you will end up happier in the long run.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 120P Novatac. until recently I have not been interested in the RA clicky because I thought the Novatac was better, brighter. seeing that low low low setting ( like on original HDS) makes the RA more appealing.

I may be getting one someday, but for now my soon to arrive Electrolumens P7 and EagleTac T10L will have to satisfy my "LED urges"

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Ra Clicky... Goes to support someone who I see as a friend on CPF (because Henry participates). The design is more appealing to me in its size. It has an improved signal path, with NO SPRING! Output range is larger, runtime is longer, offers a Wide and Narrow hotspot style, has a reinforced bezel with thicker lens.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
With those two choices, I would certainly opt for the Ra Clicky. The NovaTac is a fine light, but it is no HDS. The Ra is made in the tradition of the HDS, but with updates and better materials. With that said, you would be well served with either light that you choose.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'd probably opt for the Ra Clicky for the reasons mentioned if price was no object - and I'd hold my nose a bit on the appearance as I'm not a huge fan of the really big stainless bezel (I considered the Novatac implementation about right given that the aluminum one on the old HDS lights was quite clearly a weak spot - as someone who dropped theirs from about 2 feet only to find it dinged).

Still - and this is not having held one but based upon reports and Henry's reputation - I'd expect the Ra to be a notch better in terms of build quality and software/hardware upgrades.

That being said, I have a Novatac 85P with no real plans to upgrade it other than the elusive reasonably priced tritium bezel! :cool:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Neither right now.

Someday after the craze is over I wll pick up a Ra clicky on the Marketplace after it has proven it'self.

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
i have had 3 novatacs and have no complaints. they work well and reliably for me. i do not think you would be disappointed with one.

i have also owned hds lights, and if the new ra lights are anything like the older hds lights, they will be even better than the novatacs.

if you want a light now, go for the novatac. if you can wait, and the higher price is not a factor, wait for the ra.

one note on statements of quality... just because the ra is rightly called far better by some, that does not mean the novatac is a bad light. they are both great and two of the best single cell lights out there. the ra is just the better of two nice lights.

i say buy both... novatac now, ra after the backlog is filled. :p

Last edited:

Snow

Enlightened
I already own a Novatac and I'm very happy with it. Despite what I may tell myself, I doubt I would get that much more enjoyment or use out of the Ra. I love my Ra Twisty and it would be cool to have a brother for it, but I don't see the point in getting one when my Novatac has been flawless.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy with my 2 Novatacs for now. :D

Seeing the anno job on the RaClicky's really turned me off
from rushing to buy one. ALOT of missing anno spots on the
knurling. Would expect better anno job from a 230 dollar light.

Just my .02 cents

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
I'm happy with my 2 Novatacs for now. :D

Seeing the anno job on the RaClicky's really turned me off
from rushing to buy one. ALOT of missing anno spots on the
knurling. Would expect better anno job from a 230 dollar light.

Just my .02 cents

Yeah your right, Was that a production model?

The Sun

Enlightened
i have two NT's and waiting on a third, i also just pre-ordered one silver NT Storm, and one NT 120M to see if the quality stands up. i haven't had any problems with my Nt's so far. build quality is top notch compared to everything out there (comparable to SF).

i had a Ra Twisty and traded it to chaoss because i never used it. it was a fantastic light, but it didn't get any pocket time cause it didn't have a clip, and i found that i didn't really like the "twisty" part of it (subjective personal opinion):ohgeez:. but as far as craftsmanship, and quality you get your money's worth from Ra. the details get worked out!!!

i carry at least one of my NT's all the time. i love them, and they are heavy duty. i even let my kids play with them in the tub sometimes, and i never see any internal water. it's like comparing a corvette to a cadillac XLR; both production sports cars but the caddy has a little more attention to detail. the Ra is a little closer to custom.

- to answer the question, i would take the Ra Clicky hands down. i want one, but I WANT IT NOW so i buy other lights to fill the need, until i can put in an order for a Clicky and have it in two or three days (so pretty much a rationalization to buy more lights). good luck...save yourself the headache and buy them all!!!

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Well, I pre-ordered a Clicky. I expect it to be a great light. If I didn't have either right now, I would probably go for the Clicky.

_However_, I have two 120ps and if you tried to take them away from me you'd have a fight on your hands. For me they've been dependable and as handy as a Leatherman of flashlights (and yes, the Clicky will be both and even more durable).

A Milky-modded 120p (K2 TFFC emitter) is always in my pocket, and when I get the Clicky, it'll be a tough decision whether I carry that instead.

One small thing I noticed about the new Clciky is that it is actually a lot harder to use emergency strobe and SOS are harder to get at. I've never used them, but I could see how slow stobe would be handy in an emergency, and the NT makes it easier to get at. On the Clicky, if you don't want to devote a brightness level to it ahead of time then you would have to access the ramping menu in the middle of a hurricane or what-not.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I love my Ra Twisty, it is my favorite light and my work EDC. But it is hard to beat a Novatac for the money especially in the used market.

It looks like there are bugs that need to be worked out w/ the Clicky. The two production samples featured here have substandard (for HDS) anodizing jobs and one had a bad switch. To me this is not a good sign for a $180 light. Additionally, after the discovery of the Novatac Easter Egg, the Clicky lost some of its luster since it is not offering me anything that a $80~$90 Novatac can't give.

Still it will be nice to have a Clicky but I'm definitely waiting til the demand dies down and the bugs are worked out before I jump on that bandwagon.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Additionally, after the discovery of the Novatac Easter Egg, the Clicky lost some of its luster since it is not offering me anything that a $80~$90 Novatac can't give.

WHAT!!!?

What about run time? What about higher peak output? What about flicker-free output? What about battery chemistry auto-sensing? What about threads that won't self-destruct? What about the shock mounted glass lens? What about fully potted electronics? What about overall durability in general? What about simplified programming? What about emitter choice? What about no-nonsense customer service?

The Clicky is a far better light for all of these reasons and probably 10 more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Last edited: