Mod SF C3 to LS 5W

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you wait awhile, you'll have the KL4, KL5 and KL6 with 5W LSs for the next upgrade...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure that has been done. Specifically, I think darell has that or something like it in a 5W cyan. It's the one he posted about where he and his were trying to find another group of people in a large outdoor crowd. He shined the light straight up and his friends found him immediatley.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Desmondpun,

It is certainly posible to mod the C3 with a 5W but given the thermal considerations as well as the beam you get with the P reflector and a 5W, I don't think the work is merited, IMHO. You also would either go for a direct drive or need a buck converter. I have seen the KL5, first hand, and it is the best deployment of a 5W LED I have seen so far. It has a great spot/ flood combination beam which can't be obtained from the stock reflector or optics. Short of going to a turbo head (what Darell has) or other large diameter reflector, the KL5 is soon to be the new standard! Of course if you go to a M3, the KL6 has an even larger diameter so its spot is even tighter.....

I suggest you hang in there and hope SF brings the new KL series to market soon.

- Don

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
John: Streamlight's description of the TL-3 LED makes it sound like a dim (although perhaps more compact) version of the Space Needle II. What might put the TL-3 on my buy list would be a regulated power supply inside, but I doubt it has one.