My new flashlights from 4sevens - short impression

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received my new flashlights Nitecore D10, Fenix TK20 and a Dosun H1 headlamp. Apart from that I ordered several examples of E20 (will describe my use of these in a separate thread) and a Nitecore D20 to a friend.

Nitecore D10:
Nice little light with good grip because of the knurling. I ordered the Osram version. The beam is in 3-part: hotspot, brighter spillbeam and less brighter outer spillbeam. Bright at highest level but it seems to be quite equal to Fenix E20, and not comparable to 130 Fenix lumens. Lowest level is really dim, but still usable light at close distance in darkness for several days(nights). A good idea in a survival situation!
The stepless brightness may be practical, though I prefer steps so I can know the brightness better than trying to estimating with my eyes, which isn't a very exact method. The memory function is good if one want to use last used brightness level.

Fenix TK20:
A light which like the TK10 feels really reliable. This praised light made me a bit dissapointed, however. At first the rubber around the tube is loose and easy rotates. Also the beam shows strong unevenesses with a ring around the hotspot, which reminds of typhical incan-lights. I like the "incan tint", however. More comfortable for the eyes than the cold tint of usual LEDs.
When I compare to Fenix E20 It hardly feels brighter though the claimed 150 lumens in comparison to the 109 lumens of the E20. I SUPPOSE the explanation is that my eyes may be deceived because of the warmer tint?
Otherwise it's a great light. The issue with the loose rubber isn't the worst problem. But I really wish the TK20 had a textured reflector like the TK10!

Dosun H1 headlamp:
This headlamp will be my new bicycle light. 3 beam profiles, 3 brightness levels: 20.8, 52 and 93 lumens. Regulated output and Battery power gauge. Also the unnecessary strobe (normal and fast) and a momentary high level of 104 lumens (cannot be locked).
3AA batteries are kept in a plastic box protected from water. I have not tried it on the bike yet but think it will make the job well.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, SwedPat, for your mini-reviews.

Sad to see Fenix still hasn't "fixed" the rotating rubber grip.

:sigh:
_

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the beam shows strong unevenesses with a ring around the hotspot, which reminds of typhical incan-lights.

as you noted as well, this i probably becuase it has a smooth reflector as opposed to the Orange Peel Textured kind.

When I compare to Fenix E20 It hardly feels brighter though the claimed 150 lumens in comparison to the 109 lumens of the E20. I SUPPOSE the explanation is that my eyes may be deceived because of the warmer tint?
its not that. it has to do with the why out eye perceive light. In order to see something that it twice as bright, it light actually has to be 4 times as bright, because our eyes just register it that way. So, an increase of 50 lumens isnt going to look THAT much brighter, even if it is..:)

Crenshaw

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dosun H1 headlamp:
This headlamp will be my new bicycle light. 3 beam profiles, 3 brightness levels: 20.8, 52 and 93 lumens. Regulated output and Battery power gauge. Also the unnecessary strobe (normal and fast) and a momentary high level of 104 lumens (cannot be locked).
3AA batteries are kept in a plastic box protected from water. I have not tried it on the bike yet but think it will make the job well.

Regards, Patric

Did I understood it wrong? 93 lumen constant high, with 104 lumen momentary boost high? Seems kinda pointless.

bill in utah

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, SwedPat, for your mini-reviews.

Sad to see Fenix still hasn't "fixed" the rotating rubber grip.

:sigh:
_

Get with 4 sevens and he WILL send you a new grip that FIXES the problem!

I had one of the first TK20 and its perfect now. The new grip *IS* non-slip. :twothumbs

Take care, Bill

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I understood it wrong? 93 lumen constant high, with 104 lumen momentary boost high? Seems kinda pointless.

Yes, you got it right. I agree, such a small difference is quite pointless, it ought to be twice as bright to have a point.

Tomorrow morning I will use the headlamp the first time as a bike light to my work.

Regards, Patric

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get with 4 sevens and he WILL send you a new grip that FIXES the problem!

I had one of the first TK20 and its perfect now. The new grip *IS* non-slip. :twothumbs

Take care, Bill

That's right, I got a new one too, and it fits like a glove!

I just love the light now, I dont se any uneveness and I don't care about rings, I kow the Cree well by now. I'm looking forward to test it "on the field"! :twothumbs

Greets,

Henk

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
...But I really wish the TK20 had a textured reflector like the TK10!

Respectfully... NO!

I mean... I love my TK20 throw capability. It´s amazing!! Maybe if they put a OP reflector on it, bye bye 2xAA Monster Throw!

I think it´s better let TK20 with smooth reflector, let the OP reflector with the LD20... hehehe.

In my sample, you can see a slightly ring if you do white wall hunting. In real world, you can´t see it.

And about the rotating rubber grip, Fenix fix it already in the new samples. You can write them and ask for a new (smaller) rubber grip to yours. I did it with mine and now it´s perfect!

Fenix TK20 kicks ***!! :wave: