NX05 question

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting to try this for a while, but have held off since I don't have any "spare" NX05's to try it with...
If the outside of an NX05 is coated with something like a metallic silver nail polish or something similar, will the output of the luxeon be increased? I'd imagine that since the entire NX05 is clear, some of the spill light escapes out the side and is wasted in the head of the light. If this spill light could be reflected back into the optic, would the output be slightly increased? Has anybody tried this, and if so, is it worth the trouble? Thanx...

PJD

B@rt

Flashaholic
Since the NX05 collimator works by reflecting off the boundarylayer between the collimator and the air, coating the optics will probably ruin the caracteristics... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm sure someone else will step in with a more in-depth explanation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
No
someone already did what you want to do and the result is not pretty. The nail polish may look shiny at the front but actually and the surface of the optics, it is not reflecting at all. So, don't!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't, per se, tried coating the NX05.

However, I have tried wrapping the NX05 sides with aluminum foil tape, and immediately after I turned the light on, I knew it was a waste of time.

The acrylic collimator works in a way that you need the outside walls to be clear of artifacts or scratches to create a smooth and unobstructed beam. For angular reasons, putting aluminum tape on it actually worsened the beam.

I think it'd be better to have the NX05 sitting on a reflector rather than trying to put reflective material directly onto the collimator itself...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only positive reports I've heard of is when a circular aluminum strip was placed against the ID of the bezel, no where near the collimator.

"boundary layer between the collimator and the air" Have not heard it put so graphically, B@rt. Sounds a little like photonic surface tension...can't see it but you know it is there.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx for the input! Glad I checked with the "duty experts" before wasting my time and ruining an NX05 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
You guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif!!!

PJD

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
One more "ditto" comment. I mounted a cut-down -05 into a polished matching machined "cone." As it bedded into partial "optical contact" due to force and heat, The beam got ugly! I tried a little mineral oil to bring it into full "optical contact" with the polished copper cone, and the beam returned to uniform, but copper-colored and dimmer. Live and learn.

Larry

greenLED

Flashaholic
Adding glow powder to

What about painting the outside of the NX-05 with glow powder?

What about glueing the optic to the bezel of an Infinity with clear epoxy that's been mixed with glow-powder?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Adding glow powder to

This is an easy, no risk mod. Find a clear plastic straw that fits inside the led hole. Mine came from a fast food joint (I don't know which). Cut to size or smaller - 3/8". Paint inside with glow paint several times. When dry it is safe to install. Cuts down slightly on sidespill, but not entirely. The glow is projected throughout the lens. When I painted the inside of my Lux jr. I could see the glow only at certain angles. Better with the straw mod.

I didn't want to try this, but you could paint the inside of the hole instead. If you had extras lying around it would be easy to experiment.

Another thought is just dump some plain glow powder inside. Recover the extra amount, but a lot will stick to the plastic. I don't think this would be as bright.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Greenled; Anything added to the outside of the NX05 will decrease the output. It depends on the air/plastic boundry to create a reflective surface.

The hole in the middle is part of the focusing device. I would not add anything there.

As an expriment, put an eyelash in that hole, then look from the other side. It will appear to be on the side of the optic somewhere.

Daniel

greenLED

Flashaholic

Gotcha, guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif How much decrease in output would I see? If it's <10% it might not matter anyway. I just thought that I'd get a lot of glow by coating the outside of the lens. I was not aware it would decrease the output.

...hmmm... isn't the epoxy used to glue to optic to the Infinity's head already decreasing output anyway?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with gadget. Put anything in the hole and you will see the path the light travels. It's from the center.