RA Twisty _ UI Questions

1dash1

Enlightened
I just picked up an Ra Twisty 100T and have had difficulty trying to execute the 2-second factory reset.

There are two problem areas:

A. The flashlight has to be seated properly to ensure that it is not cross-threaded. This takes me at least a half-second to do. Indeed, this task is difficult to execute correctly in under 1 second. Nonetheless, properly seated or not, the clock starts ticking the moment the threads make electrical contact.

B. It takes approximately 6 quarter-turns to thread the light to the "on" position to trigger the factory reset. On a good run, the two-second time limit expires somewhere between the 4th and 5th quarter turn. On a great run, maybe I get a little past the 5th quarter turn.

Even after removing the o-ring to reduce resistance and cleaning/lubing the threads, I could not execute the procedure within the 2 second time limit.

So, my question for other RA Twisty owners is this: Have any of you encountered similar difficulties trying to execute the 2-second factory reset?

The only way that I can think of completing the factory reset within two seconds is by skipping step A. It's possible that I could beat the clock by slamming the head and body together and immediately twisting-like-a-madman. However, such a reckless procedure would virtually guarantee cross-threading sooner or later.

Please do not suggest that I go through the customization reset procedure, I have a boatload of comments regarding that non-user-friendly process.

Anecdotally, I'd also like to note triggering a faux-SOS mode during one of my failed attempts to beat the clock. The mode was an odd 5 short flash with 1 long flash (occasionally with 2 long flashes) flashing beacon.

Has anyone else encountered this mystery mode? Are there any other hidden modes?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up an Ra Twisty 100T and have had difficulty trying to execute the 2-second factory reset.

There are two problem areas:

A. The flashlight has to be seated properly to ensure that it is not cross-threaded. This takes me at least a half-second to do. Indeed, this task is difficult to execute correctly in under 1 second. Nonetheless, properly seated or not, the clock starts ticking the moment the threads make electrical contact.

B. It takes approximately 6 quarter-turns to thread the light to the "on" position to trigger the factory reset. On a good run, the two-second time limit expires somewhere between the 4th and 5th quarter turn. On a great run, maybe I get a little past the 5th quarter turn.

Even after removing the o-ring to reduce resistance and cleaning/lubing the threads, I could not execute the procedure within the 2 second time limit.

So, my question for other RA Twisty owners is this: Have any of you encountered similar difficulties trying to execute the 2-second factory reset?

The only way that I can think of completing the factory reset within two seconds is by skipping step A. It's possible that I could beat the clock by slamming the head and body together and immediately twisting-like-a-madman. However, such a reckless procedure would virtually guarantee cross-threading sooner or later.

Please do not suggest that I go through the customization reset procedure, I have a boatload of comments regarding that non-user-friendly process.
I think I've done a factory reset before, I don't remember having too much trouble. Sorry I can't be of more help on that issue.

1dash1 said:
Anecdotally, I'd also like to note triggering a faux-SOS mode during one of my failed attempts to beat the clock. The mode was an odd 5 short flash with 1 long flash (occasionally with 2 long flashes) flashing beacon.

Has anyone else encountered this mystery mode? Are there any other hidden modes?

This I think I might be able help you with. Are you sure it was five short flashes and then 1 long flash? If it was 7 short flashes then 1 long flash, I believe I have your answer. If it really was five, then I'm not sure.

I believe it may be telling you the software version is 1.3
00000001 = 1 00000011 = 3

Can you reproduce it? If so, post the procedure and also, note exactly what happens.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could answer your question, but I've never tried any of that on the Twisty. I hope I never need to; when I read the procedure I just shook my head and prayed the Clicky would be in my hands before I needed to, and luckily on the Twisty I had no need to customize it.

I'll be watching the responses though. ... now were did I put that piece of paper...

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at work now (HST).

When I get home, I'll see if I can make a short movie and upload it, so that you can observe what happens.

No need for a movie. Just count the dots and dashes.

Movie might make it easier to count though. Use your discretion.

1dash1

Enlightened
... when I read the procedure I just shook my head...

StandardBattery:

You think that was bad, here's what I started to write about the customization procedure:

Ra Twisty 100T Customization Procedure

Step 1. The user must reset the flashlight (open the circuit by separating the head from tail) for at least 60 seconds in order to begin programming the light.

In itself, this is a small inconvenience. Repeating this for every mode and every small miscue turns minutes into hours.

Step 2. The user then has to carefully screw the head back on and make sure that the light blinks on for two seconds.

- If the user inadvertantly breaks the contact (makes intermittent contact) while screwing the head back on, this will abort the process.

- If the user failed to wait the full 60 seconds, again the process won't work.

Note: Failing to get the two-second light means that the user may cycle through hundreds of twists in the next step for nothing. So, it behooves the user to pay attention.

Step 3. Then comes the fun part. Within 8 seconds after the 2-second light comes on (10 seconds total elapsed time from when the light first blinks on), the user must start the 20 reps. Starting on low and ending on low, the user must twist back and forth 20 times, between low <--> medium modes.

If successful, the light turns on high and double-blinks. If not, start over.

Again, by itself, this item is a small inconvenience. Repeating this for every mode and every misstep is frustrating.

Step 4. Next step: selecting the brightness level.

The 100T automatically cycles through the 22 brightness levels, stepping down at 2 second intervals, then starting all over again until the user has made a selection. To select, the user twists the head from low to medium.

- Twist the wrong direction? That turns the flashlight off. Start over at Step 1.

- Missed the desired brightness level because it went by you before you noticed or because you missed counting from the first level? Wait another 44 seconds while the menu cycles through all the output levels.

- Selected the wrong brightness level, because you miscounted the number of levels? Start over at Step 1.

Step 5. Marry the selected brightness level to the desired mode.

After selecting the desired brightness level by twisting from low to medium (Step 4), the flashlight will begin flashing. This indicates the default mode (Low) has been selected.

To attach the selected brightness level to another mode, twist from medium to low to medium xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :poof:

I gave up at this point. The message was much too wordy and still had a ways to go to get to the finish line. :sick2:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I can get factory reset every time with the o-ring still in place... I kind of notice your concerns with the cross threading, I encountered this once after repeat entries into customization mode. I suggest you change your o-ring, which will protect you from cross threading.

The key to accessing the reset is not hesitating, and using fast, short turns quickly, rather than slow long turns, that take time to reach back for another twist..

There are varying blinks that I've encountered. If you go into factory reset, and then twist back towards off before it shuts off by itself, it'll start flashing quickly, then turn off... Or if the light is on, and it breaks connection briefly between the tail and head threads, you may notice it start to flash once a second on all channels...

Edit: Also, the Twisty isn't really supposed to be customized frequently. Once you set the levels to your channels, you are generally supposed to use those levels semi-permanently. I've timed my ability to program in the field, and it's about 1 minute 30 seconds per channel, which isn't that bad.

Last edited:

jojobos

Enlightened

Yes I have seen similar behavior.

I wrote to Henry
"I couldn't perform reset with "Rapidly screw the battery case in 10seconds" method. It show a cycle of blinking of 8 times, 6times, and 2 times after the light gets brighter from initial dim."

His reply
"The "rapidly screw the battery case in for 10 seconds" method did perform the factory reset - based on your description. You simply failed to turn off the flashlight following the reset. The flashing you saw following the reset started 10 seconds after the flashlight completed the reset and turned off. The flashing is a coded message that we sometimes use for diagnostic purposes."

I think performing reset through "customization mode" will be easier than the "2 seconds" method.

"Your flashlight will single-flash about once a second to indicate it is ready to change the low setting. Turn your flashlight from medium to low and back to medium to select the medium setting, indicated by a double-blink. Repeat the medium to low to medium sequence to select the high setting, indicated by a triple-blink. Repeat the sequence again to select factory reset, indicated by rapid flashing. Repeating the sequence wraps back to the low setting."

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
It is tuff getting it twisted on before the light goes out. I find it much easier with the 18650 battery tube.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've performed a reset 4 times now. The first time it literally took me 20 minutes of trying until I was fast enough to screw the cap back on. My fingers were raw!

When you get it in time, the light will ramp up and then shut off in the high position. There is no mistaking that you nailed it. You just have to be RIDICULOUSLY RIDICULOUSLY fast. It must look crazy from another person's perspective watching one try to do it.

"twisting-like-a-madman" is accurate but I do not need to slap the body and head together... no issues with cross threading.

The last two times I did the reset I left the O-ring on and was able to get it...

Good luck!

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
StandardBattery:

You think that was bad, here's what I started to write about the customization procedure:
... :sick2:

I think the Twisty is actually a great light, it has grown on me much like my NovaTac. The interface may actually be much better for many people, especially non-flashaholics.

I think the down side, as you have identified, is in it's ease of customization. Something HDS and NovaTac customers have come to love about their lights. I hope they come up with a better interface for the customization of the light, because I think it would be a shame if it disappears. Another downside is that operation is largely a two handed affair, this is fine in many situations, but for some it's not the way to go.

It's a tough light alright... in more ways than one. :popcorn::popcorn:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashing you saw following the reset started 10 seconds after the flashlight completed the reset and turned off. The flashing is a coded message that we sometimes use for diagnostic purposes."

Yup, software version, followed by a code.

For instance you can do the same thing with a NovaTac EDC or Ra Clicky. Follow the steps for a factory reset, only don't release the button. Hold the button down until you see a series of blinks. Short blinks indicate a 0 long blinks indicate a 1.

NovaTac EDC
00000001, 00000010 followed by 00111101
Software version = 1.2
Code = 61

Ra Clicky
00000001, 0001000 followed by 01010001
Software version = 1.8
Code = 81

I take 61 in the NT's case and 81 in the Clicky's case to mean everything is A-Ok. I would assume that if there were a problem, you would see a code other than 61 or 81.

1dash1

Enlightened
LLCoolBeans:

The alternating sequence:
  • 7 dots - 1 dash
  • 5 dots - 2 dashes - 1 dot
What does that mean?

(00000001 / 00000110 = Version 1.6?) :confused:
Enzo:
You're quick! :clap:
Jojobas:
Aha! So there is a secret message. :sssh:
Cabbynate:
I've got an extension tube on order. :devil:
Bullfrog:
... You just have to be RIDICULOUSLY RIDICULOUSLY fast....
:aaa:
Standard Battery:
Agreed on all points. ;)
Parnass:
Possibly. :thinking:

See movie below.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have accidentally gotten some hidden modes but I never let the blinking go to figure out a pattern. I usually just redo the whole process. I have tried and failed to do the factory reset using the 2 second screw in method. I couldn't quite twist fast enough. I just do the factory reset through the customization.