Jetbeam III M vs Nightcore D20

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam III M @ 230 Lumens. NIghtcore D20 at 170 Lumens.

How much in reality is the Jetbeam III M brighter than the Nightcore's D20?

I note both feature variable brightness interface. What are the difference between the two system.

If I need to buy one of the above, which one should i go for?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. Infinitely variable output and gorgeous styling is about the only thing similar of the two.

NiteCore D20: Long and skinny, indoor use, floody, greenish-blue emitter, 2AA batteries only, hi tech but fussy switching, doubles as twisty. Fun for playing but can be annoying for work.

Jetbeam III M: Shorter and slightly wider, outdoor use, throws, cool white or neutral tint option, reflector options, titanium option, easy forward clicky, SOS and strobe accessable but not in your way.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's really apples/oranges between these two lights - The Jet is a very overbuilt and very serious tactical 18650 light, while the NiteCore is an everyday/general use 2xAA light.

The Jet is biased for throw, outputting between ~0.2-225 lumens on a single user-settable mode, a second mode is max/225 lumens only. It accepts 123s, RCR123s, and 18650s. On an 18650, it'll run at max for three hours, and minimum for somewhere over eight days.

The Nitecore has a balanced beam profile, similar to a Fenix, outputting between 2-180 lumens. It has no modes, only shortcuts to min and max, and the brightness ramp. Max on an Eneloop lasts ~1.5 hours, with a minimum over ten days.