Jetbeam I to III

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
what are the difference in these three systems. I am confused. Jetbeam I use AA and Jetbeam III use CR123?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy hairydogs,
I'm pretty sure that the series 1 uses AA size batteries, the series II uses CR123/RCR123, and the series III uses an 18650 lithium-ion 3.7 volt cell.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy hairydogs,
I'm pretty sure that the series 1 uses AA size batteries, the series II uses CR123/RCR123, and the series III uses an 18650 lithium-ion 3.7 volt cell.

...except for the III-M, which is multi voltage using either an 18650 or 2 CR123s. There is also a new III Pro that is supposed to be multi voltage.

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
...except for the III-M, which is multi voltage using either an 18650 or 2 CR123s. There is also a new III Pro that is supposed to be multi voltage.

So the multi voltage III-M is supposed to be the most versatile and sophisticated one? How much brighter than the Jet-I models?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
what are the difference in these three systems. I am confused. Jetbeam I use AA and Jetbeam III use CR123?

You're confused... have you discovered how many different Jet-I, II, and III's there are? :ohgeez::thinking: Hopefully someone will point you to an excellent post from a while back that tries to layout the differences.

The III-M is not realy the most versative as it is only 2 levels, and only 1 is programmable. The other models having I.B.S. are probably the most versatile. Power source is somewhat flexible, but nothing is free.

The III-M may just be THE BEST ONE currently available though. Best is a subjective evaluation though.

Check the reviews section for great reviews on all the recent JetBeam lights.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I think all the Jetbeams are quoted at 225 lumens (except JET I PRO EX). The way to think about it is that they all use the same emitter, a CREE 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin).

So, all the Jetbeams are limited in their maximum possible output by what the LED can deliver.

You can get a Jet I Pro IBS that puts out 225 lumens on a single AA, or you can get a JET III M that puts out the same amount of light using an 18650 battery.

The battery type determines how long you can have that much light for :cool:

So wheen choosing between the various models, you are choosing between their user interfaces, types and number of batteries, form factor, and reflectors.

Cheesy

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the 'Broad Voltage' (term from BugOutGear USA website) driver has an efficiency disadvantage compared to the 18650 only version?

Kev.

hairydogs

Newly Enlightened
Welcome To Jetbeam
All will be revealed.
Norm

Bought the III M this afternoon and noted there is no voltage regulation when using the 18500 cells.

Furthermore, changing the brightness necessitate three quick taps on the switch while "OFF". There is only memory for one brightness level and in effect no way to change brightness on the run. Not very user friendly.

The Fenix PD3 is slightly brighter

Not very impressed indeed.

Last edited:

KD5XB

Enlightened
Sounds like you might have been expecting the Jet-III Pro rather than the Military. One of the features of the Military is a simplified UI.

As for regulation -- a single 18650 just isn't enough voltage for that. A pair of CR-123's probably would be, though.

Are you saying you simply walked into a store somewhere and bought the Military? If so, you might take it back and try the Pro. Or something else if you like.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want Flat Regulation on a single cell 18650 light get the EagleTac T10L (two levels not adjustable).

You need to read a bit more before purchasing though, as everything you say about the III-M is already well documented... but it's not described as you did because it seems you had quite different expectations.

Hopefully you can return the Jet-III-M. It's a very nice light, but not if the UI or operation is not want you want.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
You're confused... have you discovered how many different Jet-I, II, and III's there are? :ohgeez::thinking: Hopefully someone will point you to an excellent post from a while back that tries to layout the differences.
This thread is a start and was before the JET-III-M came out. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206250

Does anyone know if the 'Broad Voltage' (term from BugOutGear USA website) driver has an efficiency disadvantage compared to the 18650 only version?
Looking at other 2xCR123/1x18650 lights at http://www.light-reviews.com/ it likely has flat runtime on 2xCR123 while it has semi-regulation with 1x18650.