Arc6 - weird behaviour - anyone else had this - any ideas?

Rob187

Enlightened
I used my Arc6 this week after not having used it for a few days and found it was doing some weird, inconsistent things. Let me explain.

I have it set as follows: Stage 1 = Level 1, Stage 2 = Level 3, Stage 3 = Level 7. This light has been a shelf queen, used for some quick output tests but never heavily used. Never dropped or abused and in 'as received' condition.

When twisting it from off to stage 1, the light would come on as normal. When going from stage 1 to stage 2, the light would go out. Twist back to stage 1 and it would come on again at Level 1, but occasionally with a burst of higher output. Twisting back to stage 2 either gave the correct output or nothing. Very odd.

I tried stage 3 and found the same, no light but twisting back to stage 1 worked.

I was using a Streamlight branded 123A. I retested on new 123A, AW protected RCR123 and an unprotected RCR123 and found the same thing. I have both bodies, and it makes no difference which is installed.

I kept messing about with it and eventually got it to work properly. Not really sure what I did, just moving through the stages trying to figure out what was going on.

Tried it again a day later and found the same thing - it won't light on stage 2 and 3 initially but after going to stage 1 for a bit, it seemed to work again.

I used it again tonight and its doing it again. Sometimes not lighting on stage 2, other times it is. Stage 3 not working at all. I really have no idea what is going on here. To explain better here is a test sequence I just ran through:

Light off.
Twist to stage 1 - ok.
Wait then to stage 2 - ok.
Back to stage 1 - ok then off.

Full twist to stage 3 - quick flicker through as it goes through stage 1 then no light. Twist off.

Twist to stage 1 - ok
Stage 2 - ok
Twist to off - ok.

Stage 3 - ok
Stage 1 - ok
Stage 2 - ok.
Off - ok

Stage 3 - nothing.
Stage 1 - ok
Stage 2 - nothing.
Off.

Stage 1 - ok
Stage 2 - no light.
Stage 1 - ok.
Off.

Stage 3 - ok.
Stage 1 - nothing.
Stage 2 - nothing.
Off.

I really have no idea what is causing it or how to fix it. I really don't like inconsistency and unreliable lights and this is seriously denting my confidence in the Arc6.

Any ideas or thoughts?

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Factory attention may indeed be the best solution. In the mean time you might try setting your stage 3 to Level 5 or 6 instead of 7. The reason I suggest this is your batteries may be too old and/or weak. Only very healthy cells can really drive the Level 7 of the Arc6. Your test pattern seems to indicate problems when the cell you are using is being taxed too hard and can't recover fast enough to get your light into level 7. When you do get it into Level 7, then the cell appears over-taxed and can't recover enough even to get into level 3. My Arc6 had similar problems using a protected rechargeable Li-Ion. I switched to brand new AW IMR 16340 cells and now the Arc6 works fine in Level 7 (and all the other levels as well). Some primary cells (if they're old as in shelf life) have problems with level 7 as well. Try testing your cells with a ZTS tester if you have one.

Elmie

Enlightened
Have you tried cleaning kilroy and the ring contact as well as the piston? I've noticed that both my arc6 and L27 that if the contacts are dirty that the light doesn't switch to the different modes as smooth.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Mine is doing the exact same thing. One time it works as it is supposed to, the next time stg2 and 3 dont work. its inconsistent and you never know when it will happen. I can get it to work by turning it off and on a couple times or pushing on the piston a few times, again I am unsure of what actually makes it work properly again, like i said inconsistent.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the kilroy and the ring contact for dirt, like Elmie wrote.
Also, check if the kilroy is, perhaps, bent too far / too close to the ring.

If it is, bend it back up a bit (gently!) with a screwdriver tip.

Also, check the very edge of your piston for dirt/lube.

Rob187

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I will give the suggestions a try. Hopefully they will work and my Arc6 won't be going back for a check up. Will post with results in due course.

dtsoll

Enlightened
By bending the Kilroy up a smidge and cleaning the edge of the piston my problem seems to have gone away. I hope that was it! Doug:)

Rob187

Enlightened
A thorough cleaning of contact surfaces, a change from Level 7 to 6 on stage 3 and some different batteries has my Arc 6 back on track.

Level 7 was triggering the cut out on the AW batteries and it looks like the RCR123s I was using couldn't cope either.

Thanks for the help.

Elmie

Enlightened
That's strange. I use AW protected RCR123's and I don't have the cut out issue with my arc6. On a fresh charge I can get around 5-6mins on L7 hand held before the light does a thermal step down.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's strange. I use AW protected RCR123's and I don't have the cut out issue with my arc6. On a fresh charge I can get around 5-6mins on L7 hand held before the light does a thermal step down.

Odd...
Are you 100% sure it's the protected AW? The black one?
And that you're at L7 and your light hasn't, perhaps, dropped straight to L6?

Mine cuts off as well on L7 after a few seconds or so.
Unless they're charged up to the top (at or near 4.2V), of course, but that doesn't last long, of course.

Latest posts