• Smoker

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Deep Fryer

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Thanksgiving coming up by the end of next week, I was wondering how one would be preparing their "bird" on that day.

Traditionally, my Aunt has always did it in the oven but since she isn't hosting a dinner at her place this year; we'd figure it was up to us this time. I looked at my grill earlier and wondered to myself if I should clean the grate and replace the lava rocks then go refill the propane tank. A person I know from church always deep-frys his bird.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd deep fry it if I wasn't absolutely positive that someone would get hurt. I just cooked a turkey last week and made sandwich meat and soup. The trick is to brine it in salt and sugar water for as long as it takes to thaw. I use a cooler like Alton Brown's method. If you think you might deep fry watch "good eats" Fry baby fry turkey episode.

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened
I cook for a living and do several turkeys throughout the year. I've baked, fried and even steamed whole birds (for soup). For Thanksgiving I prefer baked. Gotta have some stuffing cooked in the bird.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:caution:Deep fry:caution:

Use WATER in the pot first - to find out how much OIL is needed to just cover the bird without getting too close to the rim .

Ease the bird in slowly - don't drop it in and cause a splash out of oil onto the fire !:poof:

Watch the videos - it can be very hazardous.

If you do it wrong - you wont have anything to be thankfull for .... afterwards.

Learn HOW to do it ........ B-4 you do it

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be smoking a ham and turkey with apple wood.

My char-griller pro get a workout year round smoking pork butts, ribs, chicken, and brisket. I'll have to remember to take some pictures.

Shreknow91

Enlightened
:caution:Deep fry:caution:

Use WATER in the pot first - to find out how much OIL is needed to just cover the bird without getting too close to the rim .

Ease the bird in slowly - don't drop it in and cause a splash out of oil onto the fire !:poof:

Watch the videos - it can be very hazardous.

If you do it wrong - you wont have anything to be thankfull for .... afterwards.

Learn HOW to do it ........ B-4 you do it

Thats why we have an electric fryer :grin2:
no flame.... only way mom would let us use it :cool:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oven but I would like to smoke one, one of these days.
What amazes me in a bad way is some of the old cook book temps listed for poultry...I've seen 170F-180F for "done" temps. Eeek...

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the above. My wife and I are the only family we've got, last year we went to a nice hotel and ate their Thanksgiving feast. Food was great and no work or mess involved. Well worth the cost, definitely what we'll be doing this year.

:buddies: