Any advantage SL20X (35x la) over MagCharger?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm very pleased with my MagCharger. With its relatively new lamp it outthrows and runs longer than most other lights including the Tigerlight and Ultrastinger. OTOH, the Tigerlight is the equivalent of a junior MagCharger with even greater total output in a smaller and lighter body. Still, that remarkable laser throw of the Magcharger's condensed hotspot is very appealing.

I know that the SL20X with SL35X lamp is well thought of, but since it is the same size and weight as the MAG with only half the Mag's runtime, what advantage, if any, does it have over the Mag?

Is there another light that can duplicate or surpass that remarkably white very long-throwing beam and generous runtime preferably in a smaller and lighter package?

Brightnorm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're pretty much equals...I would suggest a SL-20x if someone doesn't want the focusability...

--dan

2dogs

Enlightened
I've owned 3 SL-20Xs for over ten years and had very good results with them. I carried them as a fire captain and for personal use. The beam was so good I never thought I needed a focus feature. About 5 years ago I bought a Magcharger at Costco and mounted it in the Suburban. I much prefer the Mag's holder over the SL. However I like the SL's charger cord. After using both for years I still prefer the SL. BUT I don't have the new Mag bulb you spoke of.

In the end you can't go wrong with either. If you already own some other SL, as I do, stick with them for charger cord ease of use. If you are going to mount a light other than in a vertical position go with the Mag. Good luck.

paulr

Flashaholic
How does a UKE SL6 compare? Of course putting rechargeable cells in it is less convenient than dropping a Magcharger on its charging stand, but you didn't say if that was important.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Even with the SL35X lamp, I still find the MagCharger's new lamp output and runtime to be a top-end challenger to the Streamlight. The only Streamlight I would now compare with the MagCharger is the SL UltraStinger.

-Jim

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
I currently own 3 SL20X's, 1 SL20XP and 1 MagCharger (with the "old" bulb). In my opinion, the SL serieshas 3 advantages over the MagCharger:1) The switch on the SL is much easier to "find" (the MC's rubber button is harder to locate [at least for me], especially when wearing gloves).2) If the switch on the SL goes out, the user can replace it (replace- ment parts are readily available) If the switch on the MC goes out, it must be returned to Mag Industries (unless you have the tools and know-how to do it yourself). This happened to me once; fortunately, I live about 45 minutes from Ontario.3) The SL has a prefocused beam (I don't see any advantage in having a spot-to-flood feature. I've tried to use the flood setting, and I just don't like the dark spots and rings. All my lights that have this feature, are set to their tightest setting). Both the SL and the MC are good lights. I just feel the SL has the "edge" over the MC.Just my two cents;Mike

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Mike 161 said:
....3) The SL has a prefocused beam (I don't see any advantage in having a spot-to-flood feature....

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly agree with you on that. I almost always prefer a fixed focus light, with only occasional exceptions.

BN

paulr

Flashaholic
Where does the Ultrastinger come into this picture? Thanks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Where does the Ultrastinger come into this picture? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US is one of the brightest and furthest-throwing lights, but the MagCharger with that very bright bulb will outtthrow it and burn longer. Of course it is also bulkier and heavier.

Brightnorm