old Surefire 6P =good buy???

NikWin

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF-team,

i am flashlight noob, but i will buy a high-qulity and -power flashlight for a little price. I found the old Surefire 6P, which is used very cheap.
(link)

Is ist a good buy??? If i get it, i will change buld (xenon???) into a high-power cree-drop-in from DX, but is there a good multi-mode too????

THX:thumbsup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: one of the best...this is the "original tactical flashlight" and what started it all! Best warranty in the business too!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how much the light is so I can't tell you if it is a good price but...

I can tell you that a 6P is a great light to start out with. It is a good light to use as stand alone and good base to add an A19 1 cell extender to make it a 9P.

The D26 lamp assembly can be replaced/upgraded with all the latest D26 LED dropin bulbs. As the LED become obsolete you will be able to keep your light upgraded as new LED become available.

I still am using 6P's that I bought in the 80's. They are just like the one you are considering buying now.

I would recommend you wait and find a new style one that has all the factory upgrades incorporated since the first ones came out such as a lock out tailcap and a pyrex bezel. Surefire has really held the price in check over the years for the 6p model. $50-$60 US will get you a new one.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
As much as I like Surefires... some of the older dis-continued models REALLY develop a cult following with fanatical enthusiasts. As a result auction prices reflect this, as bidders are typically crazy surefire fanatics. So if you are merely looking for an illumination tool, generally you are getting more for your $$$ buying a current production model. If however you are wanting to get into the hobby of enthusiast collecting then go for it, it will only appreciate in value with age.

I have seen those older smooth bezel 6Ps fetch over $100 (US), NIB-factory sealed.

FWIW, you can get a new current production 6P on ebay for around $45 (US) shipped

Last edited:

Helmut.G

Enlightened
As much as I like Surefires... some of the older dis-continued models REALLY develop a cult following with fanatical enthusiasts. As a result auction prices reflect this, as bidders are typically crazy surefire fanatics. So if you are merely looking for an illumination tool, generally you are getting more for your $$$ buying a current production model. If however you are wanting to get into the hobby of enthusiast collecting then go for it, it will only appreciate in value with age.

I have seen those older smooth bezel 6Ps fetch over $100 (US), NIB-factory sealed.

FWIW, you can get a new current production 6P on ebay for around $45 (US) shipped
The situation is different in Germany (I assume NikWin is from Germany because of the link in his post), you pay 60€ (~$75) and more for a new 6P but can get a used one for 20€ off ebay if you are lucky.
Of course these are not new.
Actually I'm currently waiting for a used 6P und 9P myself:popcorn:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture on that link looks like the old (round) 6P. The 6P is a nice light.

To me, that price seems a little high. I think it's around 80 usd.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Whether its the old style of the new style it will be a great light!
But as others have mentioned already it may be cheaper to buy a new version or a newer used model....if you can.

Either way if something like this is going to be your first "quality" light you may find a bond or strong sentimental feelings develope when you get it. (so pick carefully)
I have heard others here echo my own sentiments......"My first surefire is one I will never sell, never part from.......might sell one of the ones that come later on...but never the "first"."
Mine is a 6P I've had for just on 10 years now.

Bruce B

Enlightened
... Either way if something like this is going to be your first "quality" light you may find a bond or strong sentimental feelings develop when you get it. (so pick carefully)...

Rat,

I hear you on this one. My very first SF light was the E2D. I purchased it in 2000, and unfortunately it was stolen off my person in 2006... Man did I love that light (even thought it was an incandescent.) Wish I still had that gem.

cfromc

Enlightened
The 6Ps are excellent lights, good feel in a relatively small package, and bright. IMO, the new ones offer a little more than the older ones. Two things immediately come to mind: the anti-roll bezel and better switch feel. Some people like the round bezel better and I'm sure some like the older switch, with the larger switch pad, better. It is subjective. I do like the look of both, but for a user light I would choose a newer model with the two features I mentioned above. Either way, the 6P is one of the best "feeling" lights in my hand.

Elton

Newly Enlightened
ive been carrying one for years its good flashlight well it says defender but its pretty much a 6p

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan, but you should be aware that the earlier 6P models had an earlier tailcap that didn't lock out/off and wasn't even mildly weather-resistant. However you feel about the other changes, I think the LOTC is a big improvement.