Lights in the sky?

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
I live on the ohio Michigan boarder and coming home last night driving East I saw a extremely bright light Flash in the southeast portion of the sky.It was around 10:30 at night the light was a light blue and it was BIG. At first I thought it was a transformer going but it was way to bright and took up to much area for that. I watched the news but nothing on it was shown.
Did anybody else in the area see it?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a video of the meteorite over Canada on the news last night in Detroit. Was a big one from the look of it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Canada got very lucky, that meteor was large enough to create a huge explosion on impact, but since it crumbled coming down through the atmosphere, it was obviously of the softer rocky variety. Had it been one of the common solid-nickel meteors, the airport that caught the event on its security cameras wouldn't be there anymore..

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
you'd think 'they' would see a big meteorite on collision course with earth, a populated area at that, and maybe tell us about it??? guess not.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you'd think 'they' would see a big meteorite on collision course with earth, a populated area at that, and maybe tell us about it??? guess not.

"how would the governments of earth prepare us for the end of the world?"

ans: "they Wouldnt"

paraphrasing from the 2012 trailer..:)

Crenshaw

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If the survivablity was 0% I'd just rather not know it was coming till I woke up on the other side.

Now if there's a chance to live sure I NEED to know!

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
It was a sub station. It was well over 10 miles from me but boy was it bright.
Can anybody tell me what kind of electricity is being released to make a flash that can be seen from that distance?
What is in a sub station besides electricty to make that kind of light?

jrmcferren

Enlightened
When you have a fault (short circuit) in a high-voltage and high current facility such as a substation you have millions of watts being released very fast. When a high-energy arc burns it burns really hot. From my limited knowledge of high voltage electricty here is how something like this happens in this example we are going to assume an insulator failed on a phase A conductor and a phase A conductor shorts to ground:
-Insulator on phase A fails
-Insulator drops toward ground but does not touch
-Arc forms between Phase A and ground
-Plasma from Arc reaches phase B conductor
-Phase A shorts via Arc to Phase B
-Plasma from Arc reaches Phase C conductor
-Phase C shorts to Phases A and B
-At this point all three phases are conducting current and burning very brightly
-Plasma reaches ground level
-Phase A fuse blows
-Phase B fuse blows
-Phase C fuse blows
The fault has finished.

This happens very fast, it took you longer to read the sequence than it would for such a sequence to happen. The heat is very intense and creates a blast wave as the air expands and gases in the air are ionized. Also remember at voltages that the distribution lines provide many insulators (including air) such as wood become conductive. If you ever see power lines arcing NEVER LOOK INTO THE ARC as UVC is generated.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2012 Movie...

that video is totally amazing:faint:

Just imagine the lumens produced by that thing, the whole sky turned to day. Although it was probably alot of camera exposure.