Malkoff M60L vs. a 2xAA lite

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Malkoff M60 and I love it with the Leef and/or FiveMega body. At times I wonder if I should also get a M60L as I wish I had greater runtime than 2 hours.

But, at 140 lumens that M60L is rated at, I have lots of alternatives in the form of 2xAA format, e.g. EagleTac that's actually rated at true 180 lumens.

The key advantage is of Malkoff is M60 which generates more lumens than any other lite of the same size. It's not much bigger than a 2xAA lite. But if I get less lumens, why not go with AA, which can take L91 lithiums, be more compact and have the serious advantage of being multi-mode?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
How long does that Eagleltac run at 180L on 2 AA?

I think you ought to buy something other than Surefire/leef/Malkoff. It'll cut down the number of threads started about them and you might post different pictures too.
Broaden your disease/horizons.

Last edited:

Agent_Jaws

Newly Enlightened
Every time I try to use my M60L in the house at night my wife says "that light is too friggin bright!" I went to check a noise in my heater the other day and the light is almost too bright to read with up close, I had to use the spill to read a label instead of the spot. It's seriously an awesome light and I highly recommend it to anyone interested. Granted I don't have any of the high-end AA lights to compare it to, but it seems to put out a great flood and throws really well also. Best AA light I have is a Mini-Mag LED so I'm afraid I can't help with that, but I know you were looking to consolidate your batteries so I recommend sticking with CR123s. Unless you're like a certain person who walks in the woods a lot and wants to convert to all AA/AAA rechargeables to run off a solar charger.

As for comparable options, I'm not sure how well the Fenix TK20 compares but it's not much more expensive than the Malkoff module alone and is a complete AA light. I looked at getting one of those for my wife but after playing with my L4 she is all about getting a Surefire.

You would probably get more options out of a different light such as variable output and what not, but unless you've got a specific need for going to AA batteries I would stick with 123s. You can find the same options in 123 lights so that's my recommendation.

If you can live with one light level then the M60L is a great module. Battery life is supposed to be over 4 hours on 2 primaries, I've got mine running in the FM 2 x 18500 body with 3 primaries so I'm anticipating somewhere close to 7 hours of runtime. If you do go a different route, by all means share the results :D

roymail

Enlightened
etc, the M60L is really bright for 350ma, and I doubt the difference in 140 and 180 lumens is all that significant. However, I do like the regulated output of the P10A2 using NiMH cells.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
etc, the M60L is really bright for 350ma, and I doubt the difference in 140 and 180 lumens is all that significant. However, I do like the regulated output of the P10A2 using NiMH cells.

Probably pulling close to 2 amps from the batteries with theP10A2. The Malkoff M30 will run with two AA's (NiMh are the best for highest output) and only pulls one amp from the batteries, and gets about 130 lumens.

Bill

roymail

Enlightened
Probably pulling close to 2 amps from the batteries with theP10A2. The Malkoff M30 will run with two AA's (NiMh are the best for highest output) and only pulls one amp from the batteries, and gets about 130 lumens.
Bill

Hi Bill, what host are you using with the M30 and 2AA's? Runtime, please? Thanks!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Hi Bill, what host are you using with the M30 and 2AA's? Runtime, please? Thanks!

When I set it up with AA's I use a 6P with an A19 extender. Use some heavy duty paper rolled up to support eneloop AA's. Have not done a runtime, been too lazy. I will get to it.

Bill

roymail

Enlightened
When I set it up with AA's I use a 6P with an A19 extender. Use some heavy duty paper rolled up to support eneloop AA's. Have not done a runtime, been too lazy. I will get to it.
Bill

Thanks, Bill. That's a creative use NiMH's... sounds like it would work fine with the M30. Appreciate the help. Let us know when you get a runtime estimate. :D

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I sure like my Fenix P2D CE Q5!

With the head slightly loose it starts low. Bump the switch for medium and one more bump for high. Fits my needs to a T!

Like it so much I just jumped on a Lumapower Connexion on CPMP as it goes L M H on an aa!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I sure like my Fenix P2D CE Q5!

With the head slightly loose it starts low. Bump the switch for medium and one more bump for high. Fits my needs to a T!

Like it so much I just jumped on a Lumapower Connexion on CPMP as it goes L M H on an aa!

Isn't the P2D a one CR123 light, and we are talking about Malkoff M60L vs. a 2AA lite? :confused: Can you buy a body for the P2D that takes two AA's?

Bill

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I believe it may be called an L2D CE Q5.

I only have 1AA and 1x123 bodies and prefer size and brightness of 123.

Connexion deal is done. It gets a wee bit brighter on high than L1D. That soundsa peachy!!!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you ought to buy something other than Surefire/leef/Malkoff. It'll cut down the number of threads started about them and you might post different pictures too.
Broaden your disease/horizons.

It runs for almost one hour and 20 minutes in flat regulation.

http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_p10a2/ :thumbsup:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you misunderstood my point. Let's put Lithium L91 cells in that 2xAA EagleTac lite and compare its runtime/lumens with a 123 lite. I think the 2xAA lite, EagleTac or others will come out looking quite respectfully.

I saw the review but don't recall what cells they used in it. Junky alkalines wouldn't perform all that well obviously.

It appears that in the review, they are using a 2,000 mAh Eneloop. It's not bad but L91 has better runtime, substantially so.

Let's compare lithium vs. lithium.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you misunderstood my point. Let's put Lithium L91 cells in that 2xAA EagleTac lite and compare its runtime/lumens with a 123 lite. I think the 2xAA lite, EagleTac or others will come out looking quite respectfully.

I saw the review but don't recall what cells they used in it. Junky alkalines wouldn't perform all that well obviously.

It appears that in the review, they are using a 2,000 mAh Eneloop. It's not bad but L91 has better runtime, substantially so.

Let's compare lithium vs. lithium.
If you want to compare lithium VS lithium, then the EagleTac T10C2 beats any 2xCR123 light out there by good margin, easily.

And yes, I agree with you, about certain 2xAA lights putting up a great fight against some popular CR123-based lights.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, that's precisely the point.

You know - from the gazillion posts I started on that matter - I like Malkoff and SF but I am not blind or biased. I am at times frustrated with it. The single mode bothers me, it needs dual mode. 123 cells are nice but are expensive, even the cheapest ones like BatteryStation are not all that cheap. To get 'guilt-free lumens', you have to use Li-Ion cells, and protected ones at that. They work fine but will cut off suddenly, leaving you in the dark.

With M60, bring spares with your EDC... At least 1 set of spares and I carry 2 (two) for this reason. M60 will go through your Li-Ion cells in *no time at all*.

The only reason I got Malkoff M60 is because it pumps out 230+ lumens, no lite of its size/runtime can do that. If M60 "Low" halfs the lumens, why should I have to put up with all the limitations of the Malkoff/SF platform, I might as well get a dual mode lite like EagleTac. It can do all that and more, and be slimmer.

The good thing about Surefire / M60 is it seems bullet-proof, well-made, idiot-proof and a lacks features, which might be a good thing. As software developers say, "It's not a bug, it's a feature".
It must the "Surefire Way".

Running Malkoff on 2x18500 is "Okay" but not impressive runtime. As discussed before, I am losing runtime vs primaries, but furthermore, it appears that running it in shorts bursts (vs. one long 2+ hour run) it gets worse runtime.

Really, look at things in perspective. What lite gets similar lumens/runtime in that size.

As I said before, pick 2 out of 3: Runtime, lumens, size. My Malkoff 3D is just as bright and will run for a long time but not so good for EDC.

I cannot wait until I get quality 18650 cells, as AW promised 2500 mAh protected cells (vs. 2200 mAh now) and then I might be happy with that platform and heck, might abandon the 18500 cells entirely.

But I disgress. Any Malkoff is an excellent lite but it's also an excellent example of a single-purpose lite that doesn't work well in all situations. Try reading with it for example.