Any better Maglite Drop-ins in the Terralux Price Point?

Tim_in_NC

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I have several non LED Mags and wanted to bring them into the modern era ...

From what I've been able to gather the Terralux seems to be the best bang for the buck ... any other drop-ins out there for Maglites that are better than the Terralux, at the same price point?

Was considering the following:

2x TLE-5EX
1x TLE-300M
1x TLE-6EX-B

Thanks!

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Save up and get a Malkoff dropin :naughty:
Save some more a get a custom Mag P7 or mod one yourself :twothumbs

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I have a TLE-6EX. I wouldn't buy it again; it's got major heatsinking issues.

I have both the TLE-6EX and TLE-6EXB. I know a lot of people complain about the heat sinking on these mag "bulb" dropins. But I've been using mine without any issues. The LED seems fine, the output seems constant and the 6EX is quite bright.

I have my 6EX running in a 2D mag with 6AA's and it seems fine to me, but I'm relatively new at all this. Anyone care to enlighten?

-Scott

Tim_in_NC

Newly Enlightened
I have both the TLE-6EX and TLE-6EXB. I know a lot of people complain about the heat sinking on these mag "bulb" dropins. But I've been using mine without any issues. The LED seems fine, the output seems constant and the 6EX is quite bright.

I have my 6EX running in a 2D mag with 6AA's and it seems fine to me, but I'm relatively new at all this. Anyone care to enlighten?

-Scott

Thanks ...

I use these lights as follows: If for any reason I need to be out at night walking, in a few cars in case of emergencies, around the home in case of power lose, and any other day to day, normal situations that may occur ...

So, I'm mainly looking for bang for the buck as they will not see a ton of use ...

Thanks

squaat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ...

I use these lights as follows: If for any reason I need to be out at night walking, in a few cars in case of emergencies, around the home in case of power lose, and any other day to day, normal situations that may occur ...

So, I'm mainly looking for bang for the buck as they will not see a ton of use ...

Thanks

No Probs :thumbsup:. I usually use mine when walking the dog at night. Mostly to make myself visible to unwary drivers (and to see what I'm trying to pick up!). It works great for both of those scenarios. It's on for about 15 - 20 mins at a time.

If I had to complain, I would say that it's beam is on the bluer side of white (when compared to my L2D) and at close range it can be a tad too bright and harsh on your eyes. It was the first time I really ever had to defocus the mag.

I had the 6EXB running in my 2D mag before upgrading it to 6AA and it was brighter than the stock mag LED, but not by much. However I think it beats it in terms of regulation. (the stock mag LEDs drop their output quite quickly, I believe to protect the led from no heat sinking, from what I understand the Terralux's have some heat sinking, so they are better than the MAG LEDs in that sense) However I think in a 3 cell light the 6EXB is significantly brighter.

So yeah, bang for buck I think these are good, you can't compare them to a malkoff dropin, but they are in a totally different leagues and price ranges.

So if you are thinking of upgrading a few incan mags, then I feel that the terralux offerings are better value than the standard mag LED bulb (here in Canada Terralux are cheaper).